Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th February 2019, 22:09   #11
gazcon
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2004 Cdti Contemporary & a 1999 V6 "jap spec"

Thanks for the speedy turnaround Brian. Yes, I'll have to investigate where the water is coming from before handing it back to my Dad. He's had it for 4 years and it would seem a previous owner must have had a go at fixing the EWS without fixing the leak that damaged it in the first place.

Thanks again.
gazcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2019, 20:56   #12
gazcon
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2004 Cdti Contemporary & a 1999 V6 "jap spec"

Just to close this one off, the replacement immobiliser arrived from Brian and the car is now up and running.

Many, many thanks to Brian for the speedy service and advice along the way
gazcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2019, 12:40   #13
Mr Toad
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V8 tourer & MG ZTT & MG RV8

Hi Brian,

I have exactly the same problem as Gascon with my Rover 75V8 auto. The battery is fine and when trying to start the car all the lights come on but there is nothing when trying to crank it. Ran a wire from battery to solenoid and the car started. I have cleaned all the earths and used contact cleaner on the pins of the ignition switch, still no joy. Do you think its the immobiliser and if so can you check it and/or repair it. I assume the ECU for the immobiliser is in the drivers footwell. Look forward to hearing from you.

Martin
Mr Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2019, 12:48   #14
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toad View Post
Hi Brian,

I have exactly the same problem as Gascon with my Rover 75V8 auto. The battery is fine and when trying to start the car all the lights come on but there is nothing when trying to crank it. Ran a wire from battery to solenoid and the car started. I have cleaned all the earths and used contact cleaner on the pins of the ignition switch, still no joy. Do you think its the immobiliser and if so can you check it and/or repair it. I assume the ECU for the immobiliser is in the drivers footwell. Look forward to hearing from you.

Martin
Hi Martin, does your car have a sunroof?

Although the V8 has slight anomalies in terms of the way the EWS3 is configured, I can still sort this out for you.

You might want to look HERE however if your car has cruise control fitted, the cruise ECU is piggybacked on a bracket over the top of the EWS for good measure.

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2019, 15:02   #15
Mr Toad
Avid contributor

Rover 75 V8 tourer & MG ZTT & MG RV8

Thanks Brian, yes the car does have a sunroof and a few years ago I carried out Arctic's modification to the drains. The carpets were wet so I suppose that it is possible that the immobiliser got wet as well but not sure about that. The car does have cruise control I assume I just have to remove it from the bracket. I already have the security sockets if I can find them!. Do you think this is the problem? Please let me have details as to how I send you the ECU and what is the cost please.

Martin
Mr Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2019, 15:42   #16
dekhelia
Regular poster

75 Saloon

If yours is anything like the experience I just had, you need to make sure that the connector block to the EWS module is also free of corrosion: it seems that the water runs down the group of wires that emerge from the bulkhead just in front of the EWS looking towards the front of the car. There's a large rubber grommet, perhaps 15cm diameter, at the centre of which is a smaller, foamy-type grommet. If you squeeze this you will most likely get some water out. This part of the loom does not pass through the wheelarch, which is what I assumed as first, but from somewhere more towards the centre of the car. In the end I sorted it after BigRuss had reprogrammed a replacement EWS for me, and I replaced the entire connector - which showed evidence of significant water ingress over time, corroding and actually breaking a couple of the tiny pins that connected to the EWS - what I'm saying is that another EWS will sort the major symptoms, but you will maybe also need to work backwards a little and make sure there's no damage further upstream, so to speak...

Edit: as a sort of future-proofing effort, I manhandled the loom a bit when I was reinstalling everything, so that the water - if there were to be any - would not be able to run into the EWS; I also drilled loads of little drain holes in the bottom of the EWS casing with a dremel, so that if water were to get in there, it could get itself out before abusing the circuitry

Last edited by dekhelia; 24th March 2019 at 15:46..
dekhelia is offline   Reply With Quote