Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd September 2023, 15:16   #1
YHT
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Default clutch hydraulics

The clutch hydraulics are giving me pain. They gave up working about 70 miles from home but managed to drive it back by starting in bottom and then crashing the gears. The hydraulic fluid was low so topped it up, bled it and all seemed fine. Tried to drive it out of the garage and the clutch pedal went to the floor. Topped it up again and bled; the clutch pedal was OK but again went to the floor when I drove it out. Topped up and bled again, clutch pedal fine so to look for any leaks pushed the pedal to the floor (with normal clutch resistance), jammed it down with a new digging fork handle jammed against the drivers seat. Next day the pedal was stiff as normal but when i tried driving it out the pedal went to the floor again! I put some paper under the bell housing but nothing showing there. The master cylinder was a bit oily so have just finished replacing it and lo and behold it still does the same thing, pedal to the floor when I try and drive it out. I dont understand whats going on; any thoughts/suggestions please?
YHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2023, 16:11   #2
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

Master cylinder seals?
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2023, 16:45   #3
YHT
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

New master cyclinder; good one bought from Rimmers and only installed today. Re[placed it thinking the same as you as the one I replaced showed the same symptoms!
Old 23rd September 2023, 19:53   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

disconnect the quick release coupling under or there about's, the fuel filter and see if the clutch pedal still goes to the floor, if it does then the problem is likely to be at or around the master cylinder, if the pedal stays firm then alas the problem is likly to be the slave

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2023, 20:39   #5
YHT
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks, will give it a go.
either way its a mixed blessing. If/when I do the slave and clutch plates I need to do something about the gear box which has a dodgy 3rd gear. Need to try and build 1 good one from 2 with problems, the one thats installed at the moment aside! Watch this space!!!
Old 26th September 2023, 16:00   #6
YHT
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

wo is me!
I think my earlier efforts at bleeding the clutch and not finding where fluid was leaking was not thjorough enough. Just had another go with lots of pumping the pedal etc to no deleterious effect BUT when I did the same thing with the engine running found oil coming out of the drain hole in the bell housing. It is the slave cylinder after all! Why it doest leak if the engine isnt running godness only knows; perhaps th slight differences in the leaf springs of the clutch work the slave cylinder. Maybe there are grooves/ribs on the inside of the sacting of the bell housing that have taken time to fill? Whatever; now have to pull the clutch. BUT this gearbox has a 3rd gear that jumps out some times. I bought another where it doesnt like changing down and engaging 2nd. Hope to make one good one out of 2 duds. Anyone know if there are any posts for striping and re-assembling a diesel gearbox please???
Old 26th September 2023, 16:44   #7
Geoff130
Loves to post

MG ZT 190, Rover 75 CDTi, Honda VFR 750, Honda CB550F

I had the same problem a couple of months ago and bought a mid priced unit from DMGRS. It's working fine now but if I'd known how flimsy the fluid connectors are in and out ( for some reason there's a groove cut almost through each one) I'd have paid the extra for a metal one and had a bit more peace of mind.
Geoff130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2023, 16:48   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YHT View Post
wo is me!
I think my earlier efforts at bleeding the clutch and not finding where fluid was leaking was not thjorough enough. Just had another go with lots of pumping the pedal etc to no deleterious effect BUT when I did the same thing with the engine running found oil coming out of the drain hole in the bell housing. It is the slave cylinder after all! Why it doest leak if the engine isnt running godness only knows; perhaps th slight differences in the leaf springs of the clutch work the slave cylinder. Maybe there are grooves/ribs on the inside of the sacting of the bell housing that have taken time to fill? Whatever; now have to pull the clutch. BUT this gearbox has a 3rd gear that jumps out some times. I bought another where it doesnt like changing down and engaging 2nd. Hope to make one good one out of 2 duds. Anyone know if there are any posts for striping and re-assembling a diesel gearbox please???

sorry I cant help with advice about stripping the gearbox but please could you post what the problems are with the two gearboxes?

thanks

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2023, 17:00   #9
YHT
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Sorry about the delay in responding; have been away on holiday and dont have access to the club on my tablet.

Anyway.

Gearbox No.1 has a damaged diff. you can turn one shaft/wheel and the other one doesnt move.
Gearbox No.2 (that I bought from a member to salvage the good bits from is reported to have problems with changing down into 2nd gear; I think its probably the syncro-mesh but will see.
3rd gearbox occasionally jumps out of 3rd.

I hope to take the "gears" out of No.1 (not the diff bits) and put them into No.2 keeping No 2's diff.

No.3 is still in the car but has clutch problems. Hope to kill several birds with one stone; will be easier doing the clutch with the gearbox out and have done a gearbox removal with dripping the sub-frame before.
I dont look forward to the tasks physically, especially with cooler weather coming but needs must!
Will report on the trials and tribulation in due course!! Watch this space.
Old 13th October 2023, 02:55   #10
SomedaysIfeel75

Rover 75 Saloon

Sounds painfully familiar.

Two recently-acquired 75's in our family, both with clutch / gearbox issues; one with gushing slave cylinder but otherwise good gearbox, the other has (currently) a good slave but poor gear change.

We have at least one clutch replacement in our future, so I'm here to share your pain brother.

We still love them though, such characterful cars
SomedaysIfeel75 is offline   Reply With Quote