Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th January 2024, 06:14   #21
JosephJ
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Update time! So I've replaced the centre hangers and unfortunately the noise is still present. The rear shock bolts have been replaced too but it looks like I'll need to helicoil one of them. The noise is still very much present and getting louder. I do wonder if the shock is defective? I'll try and swap them and see what happens.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
JosephJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2024, 22:19   #22
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Have you got the correct springs and shocks fitted . I got caught out when i bought shocks advertised for the 75 saloon. The springs and shocks are different lengths for the MGZT and for the 75 contempory models. They are shorter. I bought them thinking they were the same for the R75 contempory models as the 75 saloons. Although the contempory models were the last made , they were still a 75 with uprated suspension. However he did replace them . Just another thing to check ...
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2024, 22:30   #23
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Just to add that i did not realise this until i found that i had to jack up the trailing arm very high, for which to re-engage the shocker bottom bolt . Then i knew it was not right lengthwise for the spring , which was already being compressed at fitting. This thud noise was evident mostly over humps and potholes , but gave a muted one sometimes on level ground. By the way ,have you pulled the exhaust longways severely , whilst under the car to see if it is hitting the cross braces with the silencer box ? ... thats another cause.
Old 10th January 2024, 10:37   #24
JosephJ
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Thanks for your suggestions xsport! The springs and shocks are definitely for the 75 on older style suspension. I've just taken the car out with the rear shock removed and the noise doesn't seem to be there. I'm definitely thinking it's a faulty shock but want to be careful pulling it all apart as I've just had to helicoil the lower bolt after it's nearly stripped out (again!)

Old 10th January 2024, 12:32   #25
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephJ View Post
Thanks for your suggestions xsport! The springs and shocks are definitely for the 75 on older style suspension. I've just taken the car out with the rear shock removed and the noise doesn't seem to be there. I'm definitely thinking it's a faulty shock but want to be careful pulling it all apart as I've just had to helicoil the lower bolt after it's nearly stripped out (again!)

I would change the hub if you are not having any luck with helicoils, I always run a tap down the thread to clean it up before refitting the rear shock bolt as when you remove the bolt, it drags the rusty end through the threads!
Old 11th January 2024, 18:41   #26
JosephJ
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
I would change the hub if you are not having any luck with helicoils, I always run a tap down the thread to clean it up before refitting the rear shock bolt as when you remove the bolt, it drags the rusty end through the threads!
I tried that a few times previously and it worked a little but I believe the bolt was causing it to strip. Luckily with the coil and new bolt it's all tight again but the noise is still present!

Old 12th January 2024, 18:25   #27
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephJ View Post
Update time! So I've replaced the centre hangers and unfortunately the noise is still present. The rear shock bolts have been replaced too but it looks like I'll need to helicoil one of them. The noise is still very much present and getting louder. I do wonder if the shock is defective? I'll try and swap them and see what happens.

Did you try gripping the exhaust tail pipe and giving it 3 or 4 strong pulls , to see if it hits the crossmembers with the silencers ? This sorted mine once .
Old 17th January 2024, 20:09   #28
JosephJ
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
Did you try gripping the exhaust tail pipe and giving it 3 or 4 strong pulls , to see if it hits the crossmembers with the silencers ? This sorted mine once .
I did! It's about an inch above the support and with a strong pull hardly moves. I have noticed my handbrake cable had dropped onto the arm so now I've secured it the knocking seems to have quietened down a little. Hopefully it's in the right direction 🤞