Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 19th March 2020, 13:05   #1
Robti
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT-T 190+,Rover 800 vitesse coupe

Default 190 ZTT rear calliper

Hi just started to squeal so will have a look but if needed are we rebuilding or buying a refurbished one ?
Old 20th March 2020, 22:40   #2
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

It's the pad squealing not the calliper.

Possible to stop with anti-squeal compound put on the back of the pad.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2020, 23:59   #3
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robti View Post
Hi just started to squeal so will have a look but if needed are we rebuilding or buying a refurbished one ?
My rear driver side started to screech rather than squeal. The pads were down to the metal, yet the passenger side pads were hardly worn. I diagnosed sticking caliper.
The brake fluid was very clean, the bleed nipple was also in good condition as was the rubber seal and the brake hoses. I decided to just replace both pads for now and hope pushing the caliper piston back in might free it up (as I was feeling lazy). If the fault re -appears I'll probably buy new calipers rather than refurbish the old ones, but that's just me. For the moment, the screech has gone and operation seems normal. Too early for me to judge if the pad wear is excessive yet.
Now I'm self -isolating I'll have plenty of time to pay more attention to it.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2020, 20:08   #4
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Just had time to check. Rear driver side caliper abnormal wear of the new pad.
Got a quote from a local garage. Guy said I should take a seat and then informed me it was £1400 just to buy in four calipers.
Massive incentive to do it myself now!
Old 24th March 2020, 20:38   #5
Madderz
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
Just had time to check. Rear driver side caliper abnormal wear of the new pad.
Got a quote from a local garage. Guy said I should take a seat and then informed me it was £1400 just to buy in four calipers.
Massive incentive to do it myself now!
That's crazy!!
You can get refurbished calipers for around £50 each, I just paid £60 for '190' pads & disks, rears aren't a lot more
Madderz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2020, 00:00   #6
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madderz View Post
That's crazy!!
You can get refurbished calipers for around £50 each, I just paid £60 for '190' pads & disks, rears aren't a lot more
I agree completely. I shan't be using them. I feel sorry for those who know no better and get royally stiffed.
Old 26th March 2020, 00:56   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
I agree completely. I shan't be using them. I feel sorry for those who know no better and get royally stiffed.
It does seem steep, but your profile states you have a V8, whilst the fronts can be had for £75 each new (as genuine as you can get), the rears are somewhat more difficult I believe, and expensive.

I have read that they were the same as a Lotus model (Elise?), but not sure on this, however if that were indeed true, decent used sets of these are around £300 a pair. So £500 new?

Garages charging a mark up on their supplied parts, their labour, plus the 'we dont want the job, as there will probably be a head gasket issue too' tax, £1400 sounds about right lol.

The two sixties forum I am sure would be able to direct you more accurately.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2020, 18:59   #8
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
It does seem steep, but your profile states you have a V8, whilst the fronts can be had for £75 each new (as genuine as you can get), the rears are somewhat more difficult I believe, and expensive.

I have read that they were the same as a Lotus model (Elise?), but not sure on this, however if that were indeed true, decent used sets of these are around £300 a pair. So £500 new?

Garages charging a mark up on their supplied parts, their labour, plus the 'we dont want the job, as there will probably be a head gasket issue too' tax, £1400 sounds about right lol.

The two sixties forum I am sure would be able to direct you more accurately.
Thanks Colvert. Very useful information for me going forwards.
I still have the V8 which is fine fettle ( oops...done it now ) but haven't got around to adding the ZT-T 190 SE I acquired from Rick. I can see the huge amount of TLC he's put in, but with the mileage at nearly 140k I was fully expecting to have to do more. I really like the car and plan to keep her for the long term to keep the V8 company in the drive.
The garage knew it was a V6 ZT-T and the price was just to buy in four calipers, so with fitting it would have been £2k or more.
I just took off the rear wheels and sure enough the driver side wheel isn't running free, and I couldn't turn it by hand. Not helping the fuel consumption for sure. The passenger rear turns normally, but although there is much less pad wear, the wear is uneven.
Going to steal MG John's tip for g clamping the flex brake hose union and remove the driver side rear caliper and have a proper look this time. Kicking myself for ignoring the little voice in my head as I was putting in the new pads two weeks ago.