Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

View Poll Results: Is it safe and would you use it?
This is to Scary for words. 5 22.73%
Utter Madness, I wouldn't use it. 11 50.00%
Sensible but I wouldn't use it. 0 0%
Sensible I would use it. 5 22.73%
A Great Idea, can't wait. 0 0%
No feelings one way or the other 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th October 2007, 12:20   #1
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Thumbs down Using the Hard Shoulder, Utter Madness?

The Government will announce tomorrow to roll out plans for the entire Motorway network to use the Hard Shoulder as an extra lane on Motorways to reduce Congestion and cut down on stationary traffic by 18% on Motorways.
IT IS NOT APRIL 1ST BEFORE YOU LOOK.
Although anything that speeds up the traffic is welcome, myself and some of my police colleagues think this is mental!
Accidents if someone pulls up on hard shoulder not remembering new rules,
How do emergency service vehicles get to said accidents if all lanes are blocked with traffic.
This has evidently been running on a area of Motorway without incidents so now being rolled out.
What do you all think Please?

Last edited by JohnDotCom; 7th October 2007 at 12:25.. Reason: Spelling correction
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007, 12:23   #2
Gryphon
Passed Away

75 CDT Connoisseur + VW Trike + Kawasaki 1000LTD

Utter madness :SHOCKED: there has to be somewhere for broken down vehicles to park up. I can see a lot of rear enders happening here.
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007, 12:24   #3
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Like you say John, nowhere to go in an emergency. By all means use the hard shoulder when absolutely necessary, otherwise IMHO a very bad decision.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007, 12:33   #4
Tootall
Gets stuck in

ZTT - CDTi

The M42 has a section which uses the hardshoulder at peak times to help traffic flow, it does work but you do need to your eyes everywhere but in order for them to use this section they first had to build new laybys for people to pull into to help keep the shoulder clear.
When this new lane is in use you have to keep an eye on upcoming junctions as if you wish to carry on up/down that section of m/way you then have to try and pull back out into lane 1 to allow the traffic that wish to leave at that junction to pull over on to the hardshoulder which then becomes a filterlane. (i hope that made sense).
Here is a LINK which may explain it better than i did.
Tootall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007, 12:38   #5
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

I would like to point out the amount of debris to be found on the hard shoulder. Simply not a lane I would willingly use unless guaranteed swept clean.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007, 12:45   #6
JohnDotCom

Evidently the electronic notification boards will give you a warning of broken down vehicles, and more to be Installed.
Oh Yea, and when are they ever near an accident now?
Your comments GG are very valid, I have had to remove "debris" from motorway before,
Suitcases, Whole tyre tread blown out, Number Plates, Exhausts, a sunroof and worse one was a Roof rack full of wooden boxes!
The Highway Agency Vehicles are going to be doubled to help the new system, still no more Police.
Old 7th October 2007, 12:52   #7
RLeon
Avid contributor

Audi A3 E-tron/Triumph Stag/MG7 (1:18)

Default It works

Here in the Netherlands the system is used on busy parts of the motorway on peak hours. It reduces congestion. But these parts are monitored with cameras’. If a car or truck brakes down the lane is immediately closed. Because the hard shoulder is the used regular, 5 days a week, there is no debris.
RLeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2007, 13:00   #8
JohnDotCom

Not something I can see happening here in UK with Fortnightly rubbish collections if you are lucky.
Old 7th October 2007, 13:08   #9
BMC123
Posted a thing or two

2004 1.8 Connoisseur SE, 1999 XJ8

as said, IF it is based on the workable netherlands system, it could work, but it would need MAJOR media coverage so as all drivers knew about it. A few articles in the daily papers would not work, to be honest the only effective method would be a household mailing, and even then you could be pretty sure a lot of people would ignore it.
and if it is only used in certain areas, what happens when joe blogs from the county next door drives down the road and knows nothing about it? I can see a lot of problems, and more work for our already overstretched police and emergancy services.
Old 7th October 2007, 13:30   #10
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

As an ex HATO (Highways Agency Traffic Officer) and now as someone that works on the M25 daily, I have mixed views on this.

Statistically, the hard shoulder is the most dangerous part of the motorway. This is one of the reasons the advice is to always get out and get awy from the vehicle when you break down on the hard shoulder.

What this will do is stop people stopping on the hard shoulder for no good reason, they'll use the emergency bays that will be provided every 500m or so.

If you do break down on the hard shoulder when it's being used as a running lane, during peak times, it will be relatively safe as the traffic will slow down and bunch up. Off peak it won't be used so they'll be no issue.

Motorways are again statistically safer then APTR ( all purpose trunk roads) and they don't have hard shoulders, tend to be unlit and have less cameras and patrols on them.

It is in all honesty a short term solution to a long term problem, and if you look at parts of the motorway network that have been widend to 4 or 5 lanes, they are still congested at peak times......
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote