Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th January 2012, 23:06   #1
Leyland Worldmaster
This is my second home

Audi A2 1.4TDI

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,057 Posts
Default How can someone accidentally fall into a lifeboat?

A real tragedy; my thoughts are with those who are affected by this incident; I didn't know that captains had to be the last to leave their vessel; but to claim you fell into a lifeboat is perhaps rather difficult to believe...

🏓
Leyland Worldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 23:10   #2
Z T Top
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ SE 131

A true Italian, retreat, retreat, retreat

The only country where tanks have one forward gear and five in reverse
Old 18th January 2012, 23:11   #3
carguy143
This is my second home

MG ZT 190+

Indeed. Reports suggest the harbour master told the captain to get back on the ship and he refused on the grounds that others still on the ship were already helping each other. He is a real coward.

It may not happen very often but if I say something helpful please hit the "thanks" button as it helps other users.

Thank you.

No. 16 of only 52 Nocturne Blue 75/ZT ever produced. ONLY TEN of these were ZT 190+

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-uk/263467.png
carguy143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 23:13   #4
MN190
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190+

He then managed to fall into a Taxi and probably then fell into his home
MN190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 23:14   #5
Z T Top
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ SE 131

Hey just one second, no one has told me my joke is tasteless or said it is off topic Am I on the right site
Old 18th January 2012, 23:24   #6
Z T Top
Gets stuck in

MG ZT+ SE 131

ROME - Transcript of Conversation Between Coast Guard Captain Gregorio De Falco in Livorno with Costa Concordia Commander Francesco Schettino:

Gregorio De Falco, Coast Guard Captain (Italian): "This is De Falco speaking from Livorno, am I speaking with the commander?"

Francesco Schettino, Costa Concordia Commander (Italian): "Yes, Good evening Commander De Falco."

De Falco: "Please tell me your name."
Schettino: "I'm Commander Schettino, Commander."

De Falco: "Schettino? Listen Schettino. There are people trapped on board. Now you go with your boat under the prow on the starboard side. There is a pilot ladder. You will climb that ladder and go on board. You go on board and then you will tell me how many people there are. Is that clear? I'm recording this conversation, Commander Schettino..."

Schettino: "Commander, let me tell you one thing..."

De Falco: "Speak up! Put your hand in front of the microphone and speak more loudly, is that clear?"

Schettino: "In this moment, the boat is tipping."

De Falco: "I understand that,listen, there are people that are coming down the pilot ladder of the prow. You go up that pilot ladder, get on that ship and tell me how many people are still on board. Is that clear? You need to tell me if there are children, women or people in need of assistance. And tell me the exact number of each of these categories. Is that clear? Listen Schettino, that you saved yourself from the sea, but I am going to...really do something bad to you...I am going to make you pay for this. Go on board. ++EXPLETIVE++

Schettino: "Commander, please..."

De Falco: "No, please...you now get up and go on board. They are telling me that on board there are still...."

Schettino: "I am here with the rescue boats, I am here, I am not going anywhere, I am here...."

De Falco: "What are you doing Commander?"

Schettino: "I am here to coordinate the rescue..."

De Falco: "What are you coordinating there? Go on BOARD! Coordinate the rescue from aboard the ship. Are you refusing?"

Schettino: "No, I am not refusing."

De Falco: "Are you refusing to go aboard Commander?? Can you tell me the reason why you are not going?"

Schettino: "I am not going because the other lifeboat is stopped."

De Falco: "You go aboard. It is an order. Don't make any more excuses. You have declared the abandon ship, now I am in charge. You go on board! Is that clear! Do you hear me?? Go, and call me when you are aboard. My air rescue crew is there."

Schettino: "Where are your rescuers?"

De Falco: "My air rescue is on the prow. Go. There are already cadavers Schettino."

Schettino: "How many cadavers are there?"

De Falco: "I don't know. I have heard of one. You are the one who has to tell me how many there are, Christ."

Schettino: "But do you realise it is dark and here we can't see anything..."
De Falco: "And so what? You want go home Schettino? It is dark and you want to go home? Get on that prow of the boat using the pilot ladder and tell me what can be done, how many people there are and what their needs are. Now!"

Schettino: "(...) I am with my second in command."
De Falco: "So both of you go up then (....) You and your second go on board now. Is that clear?"

Schettino: "Commander, I want to go on board, but it is simply that the other boat here....there are other rescuers, it has stopped and is waiting, there, no I called other rescuers..."

De Falco: "It's been an hour that you are telling me the same thing. Now, go on board. Go on BOARD!!! And then tell me immediately how many people there are there."

Schettino: "Ok Commander"

De Falco: "Go, immediately!"

Joking aside, I feel a little sick
Old 19th January 2012, 01:23   #7
Scribbler.
Gets stuck in

Rover 75. Saloon. Red. V6. 2.5.

Typical Italian skipper, women and children so what. Find out who employed this cretin and sack them both. He, (the skipper) has to be charged with deraliction of duty at very least, if not culpable manslaughter. Talk about cowardly acts .... this takes the biscuit.!!!!
Words cannot describe my contempt at this contemptible act, as an ex fleet air arm SAR man ggrrrrrr. Mike.
Scribbler. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 01:43   #8
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

>>>How can someone accidentally fall into a lifeboat.. <<<

Put me aboard a sinking ship and I will demonstrate for you at an unbelievable speed..lmho..

Seriously though, he should be tried for manslaughter and sent to prison, along with any other senior officers who left their posts before the rescue was completed..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 06:51   #9
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts
Thumbs up

I have been in this position of abandoning ship From the Troop ship Empire Windrush( my user name) but being a troop ship the discipline was perfect when the order was given and we mustered at our boat stations we from the the women and children were all ready in lifeboats and thats how it should be it was a bit of a frighten experience
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2012, 07:55   #10
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z T Top View Post
Schettino: "(...) I am with my second in command."
De Falco: "So both of you go up then (....) You and your second go on board now. Is that clear?"

Schettino: "Commander, I want to go on board, but it is simply that the other boat here....there are other rescuers, it has stopped and is waiting, there, no I called other rescuers..."
I would imagine it woud be quite difficult to actually get back on board, if people were still trying to get off. No excuse for him getting off at all, before everyone else was off.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote