Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd May 2007, 20:10   #11
Skud Kid
Regular poster

MG ZT MK1 KV6 160+

Depends how you wire the dual voice coil sub. Single voice coil is old hat now but still good, dual more power deeper voice

Can be done in 4ohm or 2ohm on most dual coils just depends how you wire the coils. Its like wiring 2 subs i.e 2 voice coils on one sub

I would keep it at 4 ohm to be honest as its less load on the amp. Yeh 2ohm will kick harder but you will have to drive the amp harder too which reduces the life of the amp and generally there aint much need to run 2 ohms unless your gonna play witht the big boys

4ohm is substantially better for sq and i set most of our sq systems at 4ohms unless requested.

Yeh the 2 ohm switch will be to stop the amp clipping but also i would think the amp would require you to run it parallel-parallel, you can only do this is the subs (manuacturer ?) will allow 2 ohm use

Say you use a JL w3v2 dual voice coil, to get that to 2 ohm you need to join neg to neg on the sub and to neg on the amp, same with the positive and bride your amp mono.

Remember this is just a guide so you need to check what your manufacturer will allow, sometimes doing what i have said with the JL for instance on another sub may take it to 1 ohm and fry your amp

If you get me the manufacturer and model number of the sub and the amp your going to use i can advise the best way to wire the system

Hope it helps a bit

Mark