Notices

Old 22nd July 2016, 19:28   #21
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Well Ray, a German member called me a little Englander in another thread. It was closed before I could reply. Had I been allowed to reply, I would have thanked the guy as I am happy to be English. I did not see it as derogatory. It was water off a DA

In the scheme of things, I have been called much worse....

For the Brexit event, we had an unexpected bonus with our stocks going up.
But to use your phrase "In other news" ... Today, the 1st secretary for Wales said on BBC radio, that the Welsh Parliament should be allowed the veto in triggering article 50. However, the governments legal adviser, the attorney general said none of the parliaments: Northern Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England will get a veto and he added that the 600 million pounds Wales will lose from the EU, will not be made up by government, promised by some of Brexit campaigners, the money is not there to make up the loss
I admit to a fault Phil. I'm literal and unfailingly take words at the meanings they had when I learned them! That term has (or had) a dismissive contemptuous (see Wiki) background to it and it's only because of your general demeanour that I understood how you saw it! Maybe the member you mention implied the same meaning you did.

To the best of my knowledge, I've never been called anything (at least not to my face!). Feel quite left out. Maybe nobody dares!

That veto situation was part of the devolution agreements and is part of the overall UK collective responsibility.

Last edited by wraymond; 22nd July 2016 at 19:32..
wraymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2016, 19:44   #22
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
Our housing market is linked to our economy, if housing is going down, the economy won't be performing. A silly link but that's how it is. When can we expect to get through whatever we have to endure and then come out to the rosy future?
Actual data is thin at the moment as it is early days. I can't see an actual time line proving what you are asking about. But I do hope the way forward is going to be a success. I read today on Bloomberg that the conservatives are putting enormous pressure on Theresa May to see Brexit through. Tomorrow Phillip Hammond is in China to crank up new trade deals with the Chinese. Let's hope for the economy that his talks are a success.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2016, 20:14   #23
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
Our housing market is linked to our economy, if housing is going down, the economy won't be performing. A silly link but that's how it is. When can we expect to get through whatever we have to endure and then come out to the rosy future?

Rosy future? The future’s now!

In other news today:

An emergency tax-raising budget, a devastating shock to the London stock exchange, a housing crash and an economy spiralling towards recession.

These were the apocalyptic predictions of the Bank of England, the IMF and the Treasury if a vote to Leave happened. Widely reported in all possible quarters, the ever so serious prophets using every artifice to scare the pants off the people (who, incidentally, had a right to expect the truth from such exalted saints). Their activities could have tanked our economy given their collective eminence but thankfully the hyperbole was recognised for what it was – a pile of tripe. The rest of the world had more faith in UK.co.UK than 48% of the UK population!

Now, and a month on, has any of it happened? FTSE 100 at an 11-month high, the IMF now predicts our economy will grow faster than any major European nation over the next two years and mortgage lending is at its highest since 2008 along with overall retail spending up. Foreign investors are scrabbling to buy UK industries and major countries are anxious to start trade agreement talks. The only European national leader of any consequence has admitted that it is in everybody’s interests to proceed at our own pace to ensure a safe transition. Bank of England now (survey published on Wednesday) found ‘no clear evidence’ of a slowdown.

How much do you want? We could go on, and the truth is out there now, no guarantee of the future of course but, hey, for Pete’s sake cheer up! It probably might never happen! We all need to talk our country up, up to where we want it to be.
Old 22nd July 2016, 20:34   #24
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Actual data is thin at the moment as it is early days. I can't see an actual time line proving what you are asking about. But I do hope the way forward is going to be a success. I read today on Bloomberg that the conservatives are putting enormous pressure on Theresa May to see Brexit through. Tomorrow Phillip Hammond is in China to crank up new trade deals with the Chinese. Let's hope for the economy that his talks are a success.
I am not sure data is thin at all?

a) overall on the 23rd July the population voted against remaining in the EU

b) On the 24th the £ fell against the US$ by 8% giving a huge advantage to UK exporters but causing an increase in transport costs due to oil being priced in US$'s

c) Cameron resigns

d) Gove shafts Boris as the little **** that we all knew he was, and he confirmed this by doing entirely what we all expected of him.

e) Nigel Farage resigns saying his job is now done - and despite never saying that the NHS would benefit by the entire savings of not being an EU member would be paid to the NHS (this was totally a Boris Gove fabrication) the BBC continues to say that this s due tp Farage's lies.

f) Corbyn continues to dismantle the Labour Party leaving the UK without any sort of effective opposition

g) July 13th and we have a new PM and shortly after a new CotE who dismisses the idea of a Post brexit emergency budget and just gets on with the job.

h) With Boris as Foreign Secretary (showing that if nothing else - T-May certainly has a sense of humour.)

i) The FTSE100 hits 6730 today at COB

j) various countries set out their stalls for UK trade deals in marked contrast to the doom and gloom that was predicted.

So despite all the poppycock doom and gloom predictions re Brexit - thus far we have fared better that expected/predicted.

happy with that.

Last edited by Reebs; 23rd July 2016 at 05:57.. Reason: Swearing
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2016, 21:07   #25
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

In other other news:

Following on from her pronouncements about anticipated miserable performance from UK post-Brexit, Madame Christine M.O. Lagarde, the IMF Managing Director, has sadly fallen foul of the French Supreme Court. They have found she should face prosecution over her private business arrangements. These courts eh, who do they think they are?
Old 22nd July 2016, 21:17   #26
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

If Theresa could do this, we're home and dry even funnier Hilary Clinton
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2016, 21:32   #27
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Brexit................
£ goes down= Our exports are cheaper= higher production= more jobs for the UK
£ goes down= more expensive imports= greater incentive for home made products and food= more jobs
£ goes down= holidays more expensive abroad= stay here and spend your money= more jobs for us.
£ goes down= more tourists flock to the UK= their money flows into the UK= Brilliant= more jobs.
EU fees gone= more money for the govt to pay the MP's wages........................ OK only a joke but money in the bank

So what is the negativity all about.???????????????

Last edited by murphyv310; 22nd July 2016 at 21:41..
murphyv310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2016, 21:47   #28
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

One other thing.
Why are we buying a Trident replacement from the US.
Is the govt trying to tell us we don't have the skills, factories and resources to do it here? We should be up in arms at a decision like that............. of course we have and those that know it should be lobbying the government to give the work to British companies not the Americans!!!!!!!!
Old 22nd July 2016, 21:52   #29
Nantwich 75
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

....we are doing OK in the cricket, so all will be fine as time goes by...
Nantwich 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2016, 22:40   #30
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenicks View Post
.....Do not take any notice of the pessimistic, spineless few We are British and we will get our identity back
Would that be the 48.2 percent of the Uk population who voted against Brexit?

I don't believe that having concerns about the future of ones coutrymen and offspring makes one spineless. I would say just intelligent.

I for one am appalled to see a few members continuing to decribe their coutrymen and fellow memebrs using such offensive terms.

There is a very pertinent saying which goes along the lines of "when an individual believes he is on the side that has won, his actions define the man that he is". How true that is.

I am even more appalled to see that a member of the green team, one who has previously threatened to ban members for far less, is applauding comments from an individual which are clearly intended to be offensive and are offensive towards others.

Perhaps this is just indicative of the type of individual that is now a typical MGR owner?

Last edited by MSS; 22nd July 2016 at 22:48..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote