Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th March 2009, 12:21   #1
Chin.
Avid contributor

R75

Default Few problems... 1.8 LPG, noises and poor performance

Right,

As you probably know my 75 has a LPG conversion, but tbh it has a few little niggles, the biggest one though is that it's not really running as smooth as i'd like it to. I know a car of this mass with a 1.8K series engine under the bonnet is not the fastest thing on the road, and i mean when running on petrol it is slow, 0-60 takes way more than 10 seconds, but when running on LPG it takes even longer, plus, sometimes it feels like it wants to go but cant' - let me explain , imagine you're running low on fuel, fumes to be exact and the car starts to cough - that's how it feels. Sometimes the check engine thingy comes up on the screen, so need to switch it back to petrol again. No idea if the LPG is fudged or is it the whole engine?

Another thing is that when pulling out the car makes a strange noise, can't really explain it it sounds kind of like a train stopping maybe? It happens usually when turning left. Had a look underneath the car but everything looks OK to me, somebody told me that it might be the gearbox ?

I'm not slagging the car off, i love it in fact but just want to know where i stand and what needs doing. :lol:

Any help, muchos appriciated. :lol:
Old 31st March 2009, 06:17   #2
kevin
I really should get out more.......

ford focus ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chin. View Post
Right,

As you probably know my 75 has a LPG conversion, but tbh it has a few little niggles, the biggest one though is that it's not really running as smooth as i'd like it to. I know a car of this mass with a 1.8K series engine under the bonnet is not the fastest thing on the road, and i mean when running on petrol it is slow, 0-60 takes way more than 10 seconds, but when running on LPG it takes even longer, plus, sometimes it feels like it wants to go but cant' - let me explain , imagine you're running low on fuel, fumes to be exact and the car starts to cough - that's how it feels. Sometimes the check engine thingy comes up on the screen, so need to switch it back to petrol again. No idea if the LPG is fudged or is it the whole engine?

Any help, muchos appriciated. :lol:
I would send Bernard lpg a pm as he fits lpg so may be albe to help.
I had a 1.8 that was done by him and you could not tell when it was running on lpg or petrol.

what make is the LPG?
kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 08:12   #3
stevemac
This is my second home

Jaguar X Type 2.2D Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin View Post
I would send Bernard lpg a pm as he fits lpg so may be albe to help.
I had a 1.8 that was done by him and you could not tell when it was running on lpg or petrol.

what make is the LPG?
I would agree with that Kevin, I can't tell whether my car is running on lpg or petrol. It probably just needs a software tweak.

Steve

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
Winnie-the-Pooh

stevemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2009, 15:32   #4
Chin.
Avid contributor

R75

I haven't got a clue what LPG system it is, i'll have a look though and try to find out !
Old 31st March 2009, 21:21   #5
Stuart1410
Regular poster

MG ZT-T V6 + lpg (now sold)

I have a ZTT 2.5 v6 160 with lpg. It has never run 100% but now it is even worse. Lack of power, engine light coming on between 2500 - 3000 rpm. Not running smoothly. When trying to pull away you can feel the hesitation. I have replaced all 6 coil packs and the 3 leads. Spark plugs were replaced about 10,000 miles ago and possibly due to be replaced again although when I looked at one on Sunday, very good condition no pitting and gap still 0.95mm. LPG system is a Zavoli multi point fitted July last year. On Sunday I heard what sounds like a fast relay chatter coming from the area of the gas inlet valves, which sit in the Vee just in front of the coil packs. This is only evident when running on gas and when the engine cover removed.
When running on petrol it is pulling 6000rpm across 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears before running out of road so I don't think it is a problem with the air inlet manifold and butterflies. Any ideas please I am trying to get it looked at again later this week but would appreciate any thoughts in case I get the brush off. Having said all this, great car £25 for a tank of gas which lasts about 330 miles! Bad side £2 spigot seal on gear box has just resulted in a £820 bill for new clutch and flywheel!
Stuart1410 is offline   Reply With Quote