Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th March 2009, 12:19   #21
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwatrichmond View Post
Exactly how is the display held in place on the plastic front panel? Is it just glued in with something like superglue?
It looks like the front bezel has two mounting screws. They go through the backing panel and nip eveything together.

Quote:
Also, how about putting the display in the middle of the long thin walnut panel just above the cup holder? Is there any reason why not?
I was thinking about that too. I guess you just have to remove it and check the lie of the land.

Last edited by T-Cut; 29th March 2009 at 12:23..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 15:45   #22
jcwatrichmond
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8T 2003 Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
It looks like the front bezel has two mounting screws. They go through the backing panel and nip eveything together.

I was thinking about that too. I guess you just have to remove it and check the lie of the land.

Yes but the green backing panel needs something to grip onto so you can tighten it. If that's too far back then the digital panel will be too far back from the front screen.
It will certainly fit into the walnut panel, but I'm not sure what the green backing panel would fix to to hold it all in place.

John Wright
jcwatrichmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2009, 18:57   #23
The Jugs
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon club SE manual 2.0 V6

I understand just what you are looking at, not sure how Hans or Keith got round it, but I cut the hole so tight that the display was a tight push into it. The key really, I suppose, is to cut the hole smaller than neccessary then, with a fine file, patiently enlarge the hole untill the display fits tightly. Thats how I managed it.

Last edited by The Jugs; 29th March 2009 at 20:53..
The Jugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2009, 09:54   #24
jcwatrichmond
Loves to post

The gauge will just fit in the walnut plastic strip. There isn't much room but it goes inside the strengthening strips running along the inside edges.

The plastic boxing that the walnut fascia attaches to is awkwardly shaped and it's hard to see how the gauge can be fitted using the threaded pins and nuts.
The main body of the gauge just fits inside the centre box, but the threaded pins go outside the box uprights.

The last photo shows the whole gauge sitting on top of the complete plastic fittings. I was thinking of slotting the gauge and its green strip down from above to give the green strip something to grip to but I think it would weaken the structure, and anyway it would damage the fitting clips. The green strip and the main body of the gauge are all one unit.

The only way that I can see would be to cut away a little of the box front uprights to be able to fit the gauge in and hold it by a tight fit (glued?) of the front casing in the walnut fascia as suggested by The Jugs. You'd also have to trim the green board a little on the long edges.
I'm reluctant to ruin the walnut fascia, if it doesn't work, and tight fits are known to come loose later in life.

John Wright

Last edited by jcwatrichmond; 30th March 2009 at 15:13..
Old 31st March 2009, 14:21   #25
jcwatrichmond
Loves to post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbret View Post
Mine also arrived this morning and have installed it in the drivers side cup holder. Would like to thank Hans for a very nice unit, well designed and built.
Hello Keith,
It looks very good. I may be being a bit thick but I don;t fully understand how the gauge and the car fascia panels all fit together.
I can see that you've removed some of the front of the inside plastic fitting to get the green plate to fit flush, but surely that part of the fitting has the two plastic spring hooks holding the front walnut fascia hooked through it and in the way of the green plate. If you removed these, how does the walnut fascia plate attach to the inner fitting? Is it glued?

John Wright
Old 1st April 2009, 08:26   #26
kbret
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwatrichmond View Post
Hello Keith,
It looks very good. I may be being a bit thick but I don;t fully understand how the gauge and the car fascia panels all fit together.
I can see that you've removed some of the front of the inside plastic fitting to get the green plate to fit flush, but surely that part of the fitting has the two plastic spring hooks holding the front walnut fascia hooked through it and in the way of the green plate. If you removed these, how does the walnut fascia plate attach to the inner fitting? Is it glued?

John Wright
Hi John, when you cut the front panel the spring hooks are removed so it is important to make sure you know its exact position before you start.

I cut the back plate (hashed area in photo) using a dremel. Then fitted the display (green back bit) postioned the front panel and drilled two small holes using the green back plate as a template through the front panel. you then have the exact position for the front display.

Although the two pins will hold it all together I did glue for added strengh (dont tighten the pins up to tight or they pull out of the display, dont ask how I know)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kbret/3403252335/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kbret/3404063552/
kbret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 09:07   #27
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
This photo seems inaccessible. Did you make it 'private'?

Look forward to seeing it. My gauge arrives any day now.

Old 1st April 2009, 09:34   #28
kbret
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

sorry, try now

Keith
kbret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 09:56   #29
The Jugs
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon club SE manual 2.0 V6

Hope these come out !!!!!!!!!

Last edited by The Jugs; 1st April 2009 at 10:00..
The Jugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2009, 12:32   #30
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
Although the two pins will hold it all together I did glue for added strengh (dont tighten the pins up to tight or they pull out of the display, dont ask how I know)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kbret/3404063552/
The car's mounting panel isn't at right angles to the mounting bolts on the display bezel. Did you have to make a wedge-shaped filler to account for this? Does the screen bezel stand proud along its bottom edge?