Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th May 2012, 09:19   #1
rik007
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 2002

Default Clonk Rumble fron front of 2002 CDT Tourer

Hi, this is a bit of a vague one so apologies that I cant be very specific .. but here goes.

Over the past few weeks a low clonking sound has appeared on my 2002 CDT Tourer. I have taken off the wheels to see if anything is loose on the drive train but all appears secure and bolted up OK. Have checked the exhaust pipe and I don’t think its that. Its an odd low pitch sound which I think is coming from the near side front. Its most evident on small fairly bumpy local road at low speed. Almost as though a wheel is loose. It doesn’t happen when braking or accelerating hard but when on the move about 30mph or so.

Anyone had a similar problem?

Cheers, Rich
rik007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 12:52   #2
ednersand
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

i've had simular car ran quiet on normal smooth roads but over even the shallowest of potholes there would be a clonk, it could be the lower suspension arm and or bush
February'13
auto box rebuild £1440
March '13
new tyre £65
brake pads all around £140
spring £95
June '13
spring,track rod end and wishbone bush £240
July '13
under bonnet fuel pump £85
ednersand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 19:13   #3
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Have you tried running, no wait, tried with it up on axle stands with the wheels removed and the hubs running at "said" speed, to see if the noise is there still. It may not happen if the suspension is not under pressure but it may do if it's bearings?
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 22:05   #4
Steve1966
Loves to post

2000 W Rover 75 Saloon 1.8 Man Club (SE)

Sounds just like the front anti-roll bar drop links to me. Mine makes hell of a noise (unloaded passenger side only) when driving at low speed on bumpy surfaces but at no other time. It's probably about time I got it sorted.
Steve1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2012, 22:44   #5
firemanfez

rover 75 2.0 diesel saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rik007 View Post
Hi, this is a bit of a vague one so apologies that I cant be very specific .. but here goes.

Over the past few weeks a low clonking sound has appeared on my 2002 CDT Tourer. I have taken off the wheels to see if anything is loose on the drive train but all appears secure and bolted up OK. Have checked the exhaust pipe and I don’t think its that. Its an odd low pitch sound which I think is coming from the near side front. Its most evident on small fairly bumpy local road at low speed. Almost as though a wheel is loose. It doesn’t happen when braking or accelerating hard but when on the move about 30mph or so.

Anyone had a similar problem?

Cheers, Rich
the most common problems are anti roll bar link arms, bottom arms (ball joints ) track rod ends, you dont need much play for it to clonk, i've replaced all mine and currently have one to do in work tomorrow
firemanfez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 10:06   #6
rik007
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by planenut View Post
Have you tried running, no wait, tried with it up on axle stands with the wheels removed and the hubs running at "said" speed, to see if the noise is there still. It may not happen if the suspension is not under pressure but it may do if it's bearings?

I did put it up on stands last weekend, but didnt have the engine driving the wheels (on or off) but its a good point. Will have a look this weekend perhaps if time allows.

Rich.
Old 25th May 2012, 10:11   #7
rik007
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1966 View Post
Sounds just like the front anti-roll bar drop links to me. Mine makes hell of a noise (unloaded passenger side only) when driving at low speed on bumpy surfaces but at no other time. It's probably about time I got it sorted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanfez View Post
the most common problems are anti roll bar link arms, bottom arms (ball joints ) track rod ends, you dont need much play for it to clonk, i've replaced all mine and currently have one to do in work tomorrow

I assume here you are talking about three different items on the suspension; roll bar, ball joints, track rod ends?

If its any of these it sure would explain the type of low clonk I am getting.

Cheers,

Rich.
Old 1st June 2012, 14:44   #8
rik007
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 2002

As suggested here my local garage confirm its the Anti Roll Dop Links, which they kindly assesd for free.

So I have bought some of these for £12.85, cheap but I assume they'll do the job?

Cheers for you help folks, Rich.

Old 1st June 2012, 20:20   #9
tricky2

Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 CDT silver 53 plate

Hi Rich, i would also check inner driveshaft joint on that side, if starting to wear that will give a low rumble sound when at low speed. I had to replace mine complete after a similar sound to your description.
tricky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2012, 20:39   #10
Unclefista
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

In my experience, worn droplinks sound like more of a vibrating rattle rather than a clonk or rumble.
The drop links you bought should be fine, dunno how long they'll last, but even if they need replacing in a few months, it's not a big job

If your new ones don't look like decent quality once they arrive or you need to replace them, Eurocarparts own brand stuff has a decent reputation, their own brand drop links are £15 delivered from carparts4less

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5331/6...77671f80_n.jpg
Unclefista is offline   Reply With Quote