Closed Thread

Old 31st May 2016, 18:58   #11
stevenicks
This is my second home

MG ZT 180 Auto / Rover 75 2.0 Diesel

Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney bear View Post
No advice for anybody else, you should make your own minds up, I will be voting out though purely because I think the immigration problem is only going to get worse when they let all the other ex Russian and Eastern European states join.

This country is struggling to house its own citizens, so how the hell are we expected to house all the rest who want to come here
Our small island and its amenities are rapidly sinking under the sheer weight of the open door policy Tony and it is all down to Blaire and Cameron both of whom are obsessed with money and power

Steve
Old 31st May 2016, 19:23   #12
barney bear
This is my second home

rover 75 Connoiseur diesel called Rosey

Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post
That's a good site, however if around 700,000 people are born every year and 500,000 die then if the immigration figures stay the saw them it's still half a million extra people every year this small island has to cope with.

I'm concerned for my daughters when they come of age, the most common name for newborns in the last couple of years is Not a British name, it's not even a European name.
http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2015/08...and-and-wales/

What sort of country will our children and grandchildren inherit from us if we don't nip the immigration in the bud now, some areas of my home town don't even have English signs on the shops, it's going too far too fast imho.
Old 31st May 2016, 19:42   #13
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Default In or OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYER View Post
In the long run we most likely dont but the dis united kingdom is dis united about the subject .

Anyhoo.

Penguins .
I'm not a Scot but your question is same old same old.
I want Scotland to remain as a part of the UK (and for Scotland to really want to stay) because that makes us all 'stronger' and definitely safer country and it's just good common sense/joined-up thinking. I don't want to start an argument over independence but from where I sit south of the border the SNP dominated assembly, even with increased powers, just can't cut the mustard on policy once responsibility/accountability starts to get apportioned/questioned - they run out of scapegoats - anyway, I'm not best placed to really comment:-
BUT, should the EU referendum go the way of leave AND the SNP managed to a) have and b) win a fresh independence referendum just how long do you feel it would take to actually gain entry?
It would be a brand new country for a start, no record of national financial stability, no international credit references and arguably a failing oil economy (the previous major claim to independence revenue support) - and we all know how oil revenue was spun two years back, calculations made on the basis of $130/barrel (which by the way it has never ever reached nor likely to either) and currently sits at approx. 1/3 of that valuation.
You will probably have no option other than to adopt the Euro.
Do you feel Scotland could thus manage an orderly UK exit?
If your answer to that is yes, wither shall you go - an undemocratic, unaccountable sycophantic assembly where you might have no more than 10 votes in 770 (which, by the time you could eventually manage full membership, will exceed 800) and be a smallish member of a Federal State of Europe…
and as just one good example of how well the EU works (doesn't) let us all remind ourselves how the present EU body couldn't even manage a decent fist of stabilising the current migrant emergency - member countries simply went off in all directions looking after their own interests, closing borders, offering unilateral invitations to one and all, throwing security to the wind…etc. etc and, following a disastrous hiatus, what did they do to resolve this self created shambles - they 'hired' (at huge cost, your money and mine) a mercenary (Turkey, a regressive authoritarian country with a none too great human rights record) to police the tide of humanity on a quid pro quo basis.
Many months earlier this wonderful EC disregarded the suggestion of the UK member to contain the problem at the protagonist borders - not a complete solution but a doable one.
Old 31st May 2016, 19:46   #14
neilbaker86
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Interesting result on here so far, I've been keeping an eye on the various polling companies over the last few weeks and it has ebbed and flowed in both directions, although our little poll here suggests they may be repeating the mistakes from the general election!
Old 31st May 2016, 19:50   #15
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
I want Scotland to remain as a part of the UK (and for Scotland to really want to stay) because that makes us all 'stronger' and definitely safer country and it's just good common sense/joined-up thinking. I don't want to start an argument over independence but from where I sit south of the border the SNP dominated assembly, even with increased powers, just can't cut the mustard on policy once responsibility/accountability starts to get apportioned/questioned - they run out of scapegoats - anyway, I'm not best placed to really comment:-
BUT, should the EU referendum go the way of leave AND the SNP managed to a) have and b) win a fresh independence referendum just how long do you feel it would take to actually gain entry?
It would be a brand new country for a start, no record of national financial stability, no international credit references and arguably a failing oil economy (the previous major claim to independence revenue support) - and we all know how oil revenue was spun two years back, calculations made on the basis of $130/barrel (which by the way it has never ever reached nor likely to either) and currently sits at approx. 1/3 of that valuation.
If your answer to that is yes, wither shall you go - an undemocratic, unaccountable sycophantic assembly where you might have no more than 10 votes in 770 (which, by the time you could eventually manage full membership, will exceed 800) and be a smallish member of a Federal State of Europe…
and as just one good example of how well the EU works (doesn't) let us all remind ourselves how the present EU body couldn't even manage a decent fist of stabilising the current migrant emergency - member countries simply went off in all directions looking after their own interests, closing borders, offering unilateral invitations to one and all, throwing security to the wind…etc. etc and, following a disastrous hiatus, what did they do to resolve this self created shambles - they 'hired' (at huge cost, your money and mine) a mercenary (Turkey, a regressive authoritarian country with a none too great human rights record) to police the tide of humanity on a quid pro quo basis.
Many months earlier this wonderful EC disregarded the suggestion of the UK member to contain the problem at the protagonist borders - not a complete solution but a doable one.
Here, here.

A quick calculation shows that UK pop' grows more by births and non-EU immigration than EU immigration.
Old 31st May 2016, 20:47   #16
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
and as just one good example of how well the EU works (doesn't) let us all remind ourselves how the present EU body couldn't even manage a decent fist of stabilising the current migrant emergency - member countries simply went off in all directions looking after their own inter iests, closing borders, offering unilateral invitations to one and all, throwing security to the wind…etc. etc and, following a disastrous hiatus, what did they do to resolve this self created shambles - they 'hired' (at huge cost, your money and mine) a mercenary (Turkey, a regressive authoritarian country with a none too great human rights record) to police the tide of humanity on a quid pro quo basis.
Honestly i fell asleep after a minute of that .

No disrespect to you but WTF.

Last edited by FLYER; 31st May 2016 at 20:49..
Old 31st May 2016, 21:04   #17
Phill_190
Gets stuck in

MG ZT Saloon

It's time for change! I'm willing to take a risk for the possibility of a better future, it may go wrong but what is guaranteed in life... So I will be voting out
Old 31st May 2016, 21:27   #18
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

This isn't meant as advice, I'm not qualified. I've listened to debate on here, both sides producing strong argument. I've listened to some blokes pontificating in the media, absolutely all them without exception biased to hell. Can I say that? Biased?

I've also lived in this country for over 70 years with no inland war or pestilence. We've had economic ups and downs and always dug ourselves out while watching the rest of the world waiting for us to fall.

So I intend to have confidence in my fellow man born of this land whatever his hereditary origin. It's not about how rich we are or how poor we are. It is about who we are and who is in charge.

__________________________________________________ Independence Day is 23-6-16._______________________________________________ ______--
Old 31st May 2016, 21:30   #19
Polly
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 260 SE, ZS120, ZR105

Default In or Out?

Quote:

You make one or two assumptions, perhaps based on the tactics used by the UK government to secure a victory in the Scottish referendum.
The first is the assumption that if Scotland had won independence, we would have SNP government. Now why intelligent people would think that, is beyond me, but your certainly not alone. If Scotland was independent, why would there even be SNP party? And even if there was, there would no longer be a protest vote to support them. Certainly the might have survived for the immediate aftermath, but the standard Labour/Tory/Liberal etc. Would have soon taken over.
Then, for there to be a second Scotland vote, Scottish voters need to vote Remain, with the remainder of UK voting leave, and that's far from a forgone conclusion. No one has ever said what would happen were the voting pattern the other way round, and I can't quite imagine the SNP demanding a second referendum in order to take Scotland out of the EU.
I could go on about the Pound, whose pound is it?
And why would we have to seek admittance to the EU, because we are already in it.
But that is a completely separate issue.
Oops sorry forgot, but I'm OUT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Polly; 31st May 2016 at 21:33..
Old 31st May 2016, 21:38   #20
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
You make one or two assumptions, perhaps based on the tactics used by the UK government to secure a victory in the Scottish referendum.
The first is the assumption that if Scotland had won independence, we would have SNP government. Now why intelligent people would think that, is beyond me, but your certainly not alone. If Scotland was independent, why would there even be SNP party? And even if there was, there would no longer be a protest vote to support them. Certainly the might have survived for the immediate aftermath, but the standard Labour/Tory/Liberal etc. Would have soon taken over.
Then, for there to be a second Scotland vote, Scottish voters need to vote Remain, with the remainder of UK voting leave, and that's far from a forgone conclusion. No one has ever said what would happen were the voting pattern the other way round, and I can't quite imagine the SNP demanding a second referendum in order to take Scotland out of the EU.
I could go on about the Pound, whose pound is it?
And why would we have to seek admittance to the EU, because we are already in it.
But that is a completely separate issue.
Oops sorry forgot, but I'm OUT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
A very Scottish slant on the situation .

Well put .

But somehow i dont think those south of the border give two hoots about us .

Lip service at best .

Sheer dislike more like .

United Kingdom my butt .
Closed Thread