Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Photography Corner
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st July 2007, 20:32   #1
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts
Default Camera help!

My wife bought me a camera about 18months ago but due to it being a surprise there was some misunderstanding. I had a Minolta and she bought me a more up to date version of what i had, it's a Dynax 3 i think, i say i think as i have only used it a handfull of times. I was after a digital camera and now sufficient time has passed to look at buying another
Firstly - what is it worth with the standard lense?
Secondly - can anybody recomend a good digital camera? I want to be able to change the lense if need be and want a display on the back, although i think this is about standard now. The ones i have been looking at all seem to be around £600 but i dont really want to spend that much. So a fantastic camera that is a good price? What do you use?
Thanks

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2007, 21:23   #2
briantilley
Avid contributor

ZT 160+ 1.8T

I use Nikon equipment myself (my main camera is a D2Xs). Their D40 or D40x - depending on whether you want 6 or 10 megapixels - are very good entry-level digital SLR's.

But really, any of the newer DSLR's from Nikon, Canon, Olympus or Pentax would do a good job for you. In my opinion, the most important thing is to go along to a good, big shop and see how they all feel in your hand. Size, weight and control layout is a very personal preference

I'm afraid your Dynax is not going to be worth a whole lot these days. Ffordes up in Inverness-shire are a very good used dealer; they should give you an estimate if you call them.

Last edited by briantilley; 21st July 2007 at 21:27..
briantilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2007, 21:42   #3
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

I'm in the Process of getting rid of some of my older 35mm equipment like Minolta 9000 with Motordrives etc. but the prices for even the Professional models have now fallen greatly.
As advised above best to try before you buy and make sure that the lenses, viewfinders etc are available for what you want.
Most of the Major brands now do some Excellent SLR Digital Cameras and on many you won't notice the greater Megapixels, the Quality of the Lenses is far more Important.
A good 5MP camera will beat the quality of a cheap 8MP camera any day. To many people just go on that measurement which is not the best route.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2007, 21:48   #4
Jontie
Loves to post

Rover75 2.0L Conn SE Auto

Hi,
Like you, I have a preference for interchangable lenses, but, I had a look at the Panasonic Lumix a week or so ago and I was amazed !! 8mps and a stunning 12 times Optical zoom, this is a SLR without the weight and fuss of changing lenses. Have a serious look at it!!: At a very reasonable price, £200ish

Regards
John

Last edited by Jontie; 21st July 2007 at 21:51.. Reason: .
Jontie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2007, 22:04   #5
Simon
Banned

-

For me personally I would look at a Canon, perhaps a second-hand one or one of the "last year" models types that should fall into your budget.

Canon's lens range is far greater than anything else I've seen and the beauty is that most of their lenses will fit most of their cameras (current or past models). Many people pick up lenses and keep the same one for years but end up upgrading their camera 'body', this is where many of the bargain second-hand cameras appear from. Many reputable camera shops ought to have a number of second-hand models as well as the latest versions. As mentioned above, shop around and get a good feel for what each one is like and speak to the people behind the counter as they are often keen photographers themselves and will be more than happy to guide you through whats-what.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2007, 00:20   #6
BMC123
Posted a thing or two

2004 1.8 Connoisseur SE, 1999 XJ8

Well, I bought a D40 and am very pleased with it. as people say, its not all about the pixels, but the optics. And sorry Jontie, but the Panasonic Lumix is a very competent compact, not a SLR it's a whole different ball game.

There is a review of the D40 here:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d40.htm

a little biased I think (him not me!) but he does make some excellent points.

there is a lot of camera snobbery, sorry to say it but it is there, But as already said, get a good look around somewhere like jessops were you can try out different cameras, and then thank them nicely, and buy the one you like somewhere cheaper
Old 22nd July 2007, 08:39   #7
Jontie
Loves to post

Rover75 2.0L Conn SE Auto

Hi BMC,
Yes, I know its a compact. The point I was trying to make, perhaps not very well, was that it had a brilliant spec', as good as some of the SLR's and with 12 times optical why would you need any more lenses? At a price around £200 and small enough to go in your pocket it's excellent value for money.
Old 22nd July 2007, 08:43   #8
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanks for the help people, some very good opinions. Am i right in thinking then if i get 5mp camera from one of the leading brands (minolta,cannon nikon etc) it should be ok, or do i need to do more homework. I want a camera that takes good quality pictures that i can store on the computer (as i am getting tired of all the albums everywhere and not being able to find the ones i want) and also use on the net.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle

Last edited by sworks; 22nd July 2007 at 08:51..
Old 22nd July 2007, 11:39   #9
BMC123
Posted a thing or two

2004 1.8 Connoisseur SE, 1999 XJ8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jontie View Post
Hi BMC,
Yes, I know its a compact. The point I was trying to make, perhaps not very well, was that it had a brilliant spec', as good as some of the SLR's and with 12 times optical why would you need any more lenses? At a price around £200 and small enough to go in your pocket it's excellent value for money.
I mentioned camera snobbery above? you try using a tripod somewhere with a compact on top of it and see the looks you get But seriously, I have been down the road of compacts and I want to move my hobby on, I want to be able to control things like aperture, exposure, double exposures and so on, I want to try different things and a 12x zoom is nothing when you compare it to some of the zoom lengths you get with some of the high end lenses.

I am not saying its a bad camera, its a very good one but you simply cannot compare it to a SLR.

The movement of people from compacts has been noted by the big names, so much so that they include an "Auto" function on the camera that makes it just as much a "point and shoot" as a compact, and this is perfect for the beginner into SLR photography, and the Nikon D40 is a very good introduction in my view (and many others).

a word of warning though........ if you do go down the road of SLR, be prepared to catch the bug, and some of the lenses.. well..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nikon-AF-S-AFS...QQcmdZViewItem

So, to answer the original question, if you want to move away from compacts, buy a Nikon D40 (you can get one under £300 now with some offers on) if you want something handy buy the panasonic.

remember though, SLR camera's tend to come with very little, usually not even a memory card so remember that when buying, as you will need a few extras like a decent bag to carry it in, memory card, air blower/brush (dust is a BIG thing with digital SLR's) etc.

They are also delicate and sensitive bits of equipment, and will not take kindly to being chucked around, and golden rule, never, ever lend it to anybody. My mate bought a D80 and lent it to his brother, who promptly dropped it and cracked the lens.

So, that should either put you off SLR's for life, or make you take the steps to owning one, either way at the end of the day its the result's that matter, and i have taken excellent shots with a 1.1 MP compact

I think i have covered most of the pro's and cons, and the above is based on my own experience, others may have different views and I would certainly ask around as its a big step.
Old 22nd July 2007, 12:51   #10
sworks
Been absent for a while…

I think i have narrowed it down to three
Nikon D40
Canon 350D
Canon 400D
Are all these 'future proof'