Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 & ZT Gallery
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th June 2015, 20:33   #21
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190 + and MKIV Supra

Some more stuff at the rear end sorted this weekend

Firstly the issue of the knackered keys was resolved. From the keys I picked up

To this. One of the keys is a pre project the other is one from the internet and possibly not the best quality but it works well so will do as the spare

Next was to change the worn rear window ZT trim. A job I was not looking forward to. So it went from this

To this. Not a perfect example but its a lot better

But getting there took a good couple of hours.
Firstly I carefully unclipped all the surround clips using a trim tool.

I had 4 x clips break which was not too bad and I cleaned out the channels and sealed the bottom clips in case they decided to leak in the future

The clips were then refitted and broken ones replaced

Then it was clipped back in to give me the finished article

Next was the wobbly boot hinges. I have not seen this before on a R75/ZT but they were really loose

A second hand set were sourced, cleaned off and Sprayed

and then fitted. I left the boot lid in place and did one side at a time so I could manage the panel gap. There was a lot of muck behind the hinges

whilst cleaning the muck away I also cleaned the channels and polished them to match the newly sprayed hinges

The boot lid was then cleaned and polish internally to match everything else

These hinges are a lot better and very sturdy so I am not sure why the others were so worn. Finally the panel gaps were checked which seem good but that is with my eyesight

There is only one more really important job to do on the rear end which I cant do at the moment so its onto the interior which I have just started

Living the dream

MK IV VVTI Tiptronic TT Toyota Supra
MG ZT 190+
BornTuesday, 10th July 2001 @ 09:01:10
259th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
252nd ZT 190 + to be made out of 4,023
101st ZT in Solar Red (code: CEU) to be made out of 1,888

Last edited by jonc3725; 16th August 2017 at 22:43..
jonc3725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 12:15   #22
thomas 75 connie
This is my second home

Rover 75 launch car x2, Rover 800 Vitesse

Thanked 1,083 Times in 653 Posts

Hi Jon the work looks stunning as always. Really impressed.

Hopefully get to see this one soon.
thomas 75 connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2015, 20:36   #23
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post
I can't say for certain Jon, but it's in the back of my mind from when I re-soldered the IPK buzzer on Oxfordblue's facelift 75.

His buzzer wasn't working (although he has factory reverse sensors), I know he looked into this and I had it in my head that this was the case - however I may have dreamt it !!!

Might be worth a post in the technical section, just for confirmation ?
Found the reversing sensor buzzer on my old car

Under the parcel shelf on the passenger side so I need to change it over to the new car. I hope the wiring is already there

Living the dream

MG ZT 190+

Last edited by jonc3725; 16th August 2017 at 22:44..
Old 8th June 2015, 22:45   #24
Sonic ZS
Posted a thing or two

75 Conn CDT Tourer, 75 Conn SE V6, 75 Conn V6, 75 Conn CDTi Tourer, ZS 180

At least if the wiring is missing in the red car, you can swap it across relatively easily (without having to make a new loom ).

And Jon, I hope you didn't paint those hinges too thoroughly - I'm sure the original factory finish would of had some bare patches...
Old 9th June 2015, 17:22   #25
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic ZS View Post
At least if the wiring is missing in the red car, you can swap it across relatively easily (without having to make a new loom ).

And Jon, I hope you didn't paint those hinges too thoroughly - I'm sure the original factory finish would of had some bare patches...
Hi Paul,

Yep hopefully the loom is there but if not at least I have one. Yes mate the hinges are better covered than Rover managed when they sprayed them on the car.

Quote:
Hi Jon the work looks stunning as always. Really impressed.

Hopefully get to see this one soon.
Cheers Thomas,

After seeing you I have decided to fit an electric blind on the red ZT and I am hunting the cargo nets.

Welcome up any time mate to have a look

Living the dream

MG ZT 190+
Old 10th June 2015, 20:33   #26
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

Ok a bit of an update after this evenings working on the car.

Firstly the reverse Sensors are now working

After removing the parcel shelf the wiring loom was there for the buzzer and the rear blind.

blind connection

and Buzzer connection

Removing a foam blank found the correct hole for the push connection for the buzzer mounting and 20 second later the buzzer was fitted

Tested the car by reversing towards the Supra and low and behold it worked perfectly but blimey is it loud without the parcel shelf in place

The next job was to clean out the back of the car. When I removed the seats (I used this way to release the seat back https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/vi...chr-yo_gc&tt=b) I was met with 14 yyears of crud

I disconnected the seat belts and removed the trim panels and gave everything a really hard clean down. Boy the colour of the water when I finished was gipping but the end result was pleasing.

I have also washed down the foam insulation and it is now in the man cave drying out.

I had one job to do to finish the back of the car off but couldn't do it at the weekend because the bits had not arrived.

both bits arrived today in the post and were fitted

Yep fitted new boot and MG badges to finish off the back

Living the dream

MG ZT 190+

Last edited by jonc3725; 16th August 2017 at 22:45..
Old 14th June 2015, 21:22   #27
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

A small update and a bit of a productive few days

Before replacing the interior back end parts there were a few things I wanted to do.

Firstly now the reversing sensors were fitted and working after visiting Thomas the other day I thought it would be nice to fit rear blind

Anyway I managed to pick up a working blind on the wrong colour parcel shelf so I needed to fit it to my shelf. I could have done the wheeler dealer thing of spraying the shelf but I don't like this it seems a bit a bodge.

The shelves already have the cut outs marked on the carpet side and on the hardboard

Because I was cutting from the underside I marked the moulding with black pen and also measured from the original shelf that came with the blind additional areas that needed cutting out and drilling.

Using a sharp Stanley knife I cut out carefully along the lines I had made to give me the opening

The next thing to do was recover the mounts from the original shelf and clean them up for glueing to my shelf. Only 2 of each are required as the centre mounts are already in place

Using the centre mounts as a datum I bolted and clipped the blind in place to give me the positions of the other mounts. There are indents in the moulding to show where they get glued but I wanted to mount the blind to get the exact position. 3 of the mounts use plastic clips and 3 use screws to fix the blind in place.

Once the position was gained I glued the all 4 mounts in place and left the glue to dry overnight.

The next day I clipped and screwed the blind to the mounts and fitted the end finishers.

Then using a 12v supply I tested the blind to make sure it operated ok

Then cleaned the shelf up ready to fit to the car

Next job was to get the rear seats back to a decent standard.

as you can see they needed a really good clean. I used a carpet/upholstery cleaner and was brutal with it to get the alacantra clean.

the colour of water tells it own story

The seats were left in the sun to dry and then the alacantra was rubbed down with 160 grit wet and dry (in the dry state) to de bobble.Yep I did say rubbed down with 160 grit. the seats were then brushed off and the leather was deep cleaned and treated with conditioner to give the finished articles

The last thing to do was fit a rear cup holder.

As with everything I have done on this car I cleaned the parcel shelf, trims etc before refitting everything.

Then the parcel shelf was fitted. I found it easier to fit with the side trims and aerial amps removed When I removed the grey side trims I found that someone else had been enjoying the car at some point. I have not found anything else to suggest the little fella is around but I fitted a replacement trim

The parcel shelf was fitted and was definitely easier with the trims and amps removed

I then refitted all the trims which again had been cleaned up.

Then refitted the seats

Next up is the front seats, carpet, centre console, handbrake compensator etc

Hope this gives everyone a bit of an update on progress. Some of the replacement oily bits have arrived which have been put away for the time being. I will have to complete the breaking up of the blue car before I move onto the oily bits

Living the dream

MG ZT 190+

Last edited by jonc3725; 20th August 2017 at 20:21..
Old 14th June 2015, 21:34   #28
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

Oops forgot another couple of bits that were done.

The chrome tread plate on the drivers rear was changed and the whole area cleaned and polished. To be honest there are some pretty deep scratches here so maybe a bit of a paint job will be needed at some point

and the passenger rear door seal was changed

Nice easy jobs to sign off

Living the dream

MG ZT 190+

Last edited by jonc3725; 20th August 2017 at 20:22..
Old 21st June 2015, 22:06   #29
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

A busy weekend and not as much done as I would have hoped but thats always the way

Firstly I stripped out the whole interior so that I could clean everything a do a couple of jobs in the cabin

Firstly the carpet was hoovered and washed. Blimey it was dirty

Next was the front seats. I am using the drivers seat from the blue ZT but I was going to recover the passenger side seat.

Passenger side

Drivers side

I decided to use the red Zt's back pockets but both needed repairing

This is quite an enjoyable job and very satisfying when repaired.
Firstly I removed the seat backs as stated in the tech section. This is the hardest part of the job:madhttps://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=60562

once the back is off then the pockets can be stripped down to their component parts.

First thing to do was to clean the pockets. It was easier to clean with it in bits as there was sticky toffee and a degrading lollipop in there

Next the frame was removed from the pocket and cleaned up. On this frame only one lug is snapped which was good news. On the worst seat the frame was snapped in half so I had to use one from one of my spare seats

With the frame and pocket cleaned they were then threaded together. I had to do a little repair on the top corner where it had torn slightly when it had been pulled down the seat

Next the frame is fed through all the holes in the seat back

and then fastened on the lugs using the fastenings.

Now the trick I used where the lugs were broken was to use the fasting as a washer/spacer and use a self tapper to screw into the lug. This gave a really tough clamp and good finish

The only problem is that where the toffees and lollipop were they have bulged the shape of the pocket

next up I cleaned the seats with an upholstery cleaner and agin they were fifthly

They were left to dry overnight and then sanded with 160 grit wet and dry to de bobble again in the dry mode

Finally the leather was cleaned and treated and the seats built back up. I had an issue with the drivers seat I was using as the height adjustment was not working. I fixed this whilst I was there but the seat does need a tiny bit of welding on one of the front cross beams which I will do in the week.

Next I wanted to inject wax into the sills whilst the carpet was out. I knocked off the foil covers over the holes and removed the blanking caps in the A posts

As we know there is corrosion within the sills so I had a quick look in where I could

Then injected into the sills until it was running out the bottom. I forgot to cover the drive initially which upset the wife

The next job was to change the hand brake compensator for a Harry adjusted one. The difference is huge

I always find it easier to do this with the seats and carpet removed

next I cleaned out the cabin under the carpet and built it up ready to receive the cleaned carpet

the fight with the carpet was then undertaken to get it back in the car. Anyone that has done this knows the fight I was about to have

That was all that was achieved this weekend. A hangover today didn't help
and getting the drivers seat height adjuster to work took ages as I had to strip off the bottom rails etc to get it built back up.

Living the dream

MG ZT 190+

Last edited by jonc3725; 20th August 2017 at 20:25..
Old 21st June 2015, 22:11   #30
A19_Graham
I really should get out more.......

Land Rover Freelander 2

Great work.

Really enjoying the thread.

Good Luck
A19_Graham is offline   Reply With Quote