Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 31st December 2019, 18:18   #1
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts
Default Rear brake pads

Hi all,

Not sure if this is for the tech forum or general forum but whichever...

Needed to replace the silencer box strap on my "new" wedgewood blue tourer so had the back end up in the air.

While it's up there I thought it wouldn't hurt to have a bit of check out.

All 6 wheel alignment bolts came out without any drama (one at a time!) and all the heads still perfectly OK.

Discs look fine and subsequent check shows that they're nearly new at over 9.5mm thick.

Pads look fine with about 8mm of friction material.

Now, 'cus I have a bit of a thing about slider pins having been caught out with them seizing in the past I thought well, since it's easy and pretty quick, I'll pop them out.

Out came the pads all all looked fine if a bit rusty so I dropped them into my toolbox. Pins were quite crudded up but nothing too serious and the piston itself was moving freely.

Here's one of the pads:

And here's the other.......

But all is not as it seems....

I've never come across an entire pad coming away from the backing plate

I'm counting myself lucky as to a visual inspection all was perfectly OK.

Andy.

Last edited by AndyN01; 31st December 2019 at 18:27..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2019, 19:15   #2
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Blu Tack??

I've seen this before on a set of Apec branded pads, where the friction material had parted company from the backing plate due to rust expanding the joint between the two where the friction material was ported through the backing plate

I would be interested to know what brand these pads were, just so we can avoid them

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2019, 19:17   #3
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Has the car been standing unused at all? I have seen this on cars that have stood around a while.
Old 1st January 2020, 06:24   #4
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Blu Tack??

I've seen this before on a set of Apec branded pads, where the friction material had parted company from the backing plate due to rust expanding the joint between the two where the friction material was ported through the backing plate

I would be interested to know what brand these pads were, just so we can avoid them

Brian

I'll have a good look around them and see if there's anything to identify who made them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Has the car been standing unused at all? I have seen this on cars that have stood around a while.

Only for about a month with me and regularly used before that although she hasn't covered many miles - about 11K in the last 3 years.

PS Have you got my PM's sent on 28 Dec?

Cheers,

Andy.
Old 1st January 2020, 08:45   #5
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

Had a lining come adrift on my Motorcycle drum brake. Found the wheel locked solid pushing bike backwards , fortunately not the other way round or I would have been over the handlebars!
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2020, 16:13   #6
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

After much cleaning off of muck and rust it looks like they are.... or rather, were.....

TRW.

At first I thought it was TRi (which I've never heard of!) but I guess the rest of the "W" has gone.

There are codes of LMS112 and GBD1343. As far as I can see from the autodoc website TRW is the only manufacturer with this GDB code and LMS112 also points to TRW - happy to be enlightened if there's others.

And I thought TRW were pretty good .

Andy.

Last edited by AndyN01; 1st January 2020 at 16:18..
Old 1st January 2020, 17:13   #7
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I see this quite a lot, as Andy says it’s usually cars that do few miles. I look out for it at service as you can generally see what looks like a small crack between the pad and backing. In some cases the car drives fine and others there is a slight change in pedal feel a bit like a seized calliper pin.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2020, 17:21   #8
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
..... There are codes of LMS112 and GBD1343. As far as I can see from the autodoc website TRW is the only manufacturer with this GDB code and LMS112 also points to TRW - happy to be enlightened if there's others.

And I thought TRW were pretty good .

Andy.
They're in Wrexham - https://www.trwaftermarket.com/en/Contact-Us/

Catalogue now shows GDB1344 for the rear and GDB1374 for the front - link.

I'd send them that last pic and see what they say about it. This is a line from here: "This robust plate is then bonded to the friction material with a unique adhesive compound that can withstand extremely high temperatures and shear strengths."

Hmm.
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2020, 17:24   #9
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

And https://www.trwaftermarket.com/en/pa...ms/Brake-Pads/
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2020, 18:54   #10
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Yes, this is a common problem on cars that have been standing for a while - especially outside. The power of rust to expand means that rusting of the exposed metal will creep under the friction material, and adhesive, and as water can penetrate the friction material too, it is only a matter of time before this type of delamination starts. Once started, it will continue to prise off the friction material. Hopefully, the handbrake shoes will not have suffered in the same way - when these delaminate, they will rotate with the wheel, and then jam the drum solid, which will then be a real pain to remove.
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote