Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd December 2019, 13:34   #1
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Default crank pulley - Dmgr

had an issue i thought with the aircon compressor when switched on sounded like a bearing gone. got local mechanic to check it out, he stated he thought the aircon compressor was gone as when switched on noise started.
As a new one is about $800 aud got one from a breakers for $250, mechanic fitted it then rings me and said the noise is still there and they found it was the harmonic balancer (crank pulley).
Never heard of a kv6 crank pulley going.
Hard to find a kv6 harmonic balancer over here.
Stupid money over here ($800) so just bought one from Dmgr for a decent price.
Hope their freight times are decent to Australia as the cars left at the mechanics.
The car is starting to cost big bucks !!
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2019, 16:00   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Hello Peter, the KV6 crankshaft pulley has a similar rubber interleaf design to the diesel's and can eventually suffer similar problems, delamination causing rotational slippage and rubber fatigue cracking causing increased noise.. Though much more common in the diesel, the KV6 isn't without crankshaft stress and some pulleys eventually succumb. There are several threads about it around the 75/ZT forums and the odd video on YouTube.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2019, 17:22   #3
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
... mechanic fitted it then rings me and said the noise is still there ...
Peter; in your earlier thread I said several times that the problem was unlikely to be the air conditioning compressor.
Quote:
... and they found it was the harmonic balancer (crank pulley). Never heard of a kv6 crank pulley going.
Neither have I. I do hope that you're not about to make the same mistake again.

Simon
Old 4th December 2019, 12:13   #4
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

hi simon, yes, they think they found it was the crank pulley making the noise as they marked the inner and outer of it and found when started , the pulley was very hot and the mark had shifted a fare bit apart so appears it knackered.
Pain in the butt as they initially diagnosed the aircon compressor, just as well i bought a used one and didnt go buy a new one!!
Dmgr has cheapest crank pulleys i could find but again will have to wait for it to arrive.
Anyone know how dmgrs shipping is since the new guy took over?
Old 4th December 2019, 12:20   #5
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Hello Peter, the KV6 crankshaft pulley has a similar rubber interleaf design to the diesel's and can eventually suffer similar problems, delamination causing rotational slippage and rubber fatigue cracking causing increased noise.. Though much more common in the diesel, the KV6 isn't without crankshaft stress and some pulleys eventually succumb. There are several threads about it around the 75/ZT forums and the odd video on YouTube.

TC
thats interesting tc, the car that has the harmonic balancer issue has 140,000km on it, i have 2 other 75s with well over 230,000km and no pulkey issues at all thus far- touch wood !!
There a hard part to find for the kv6.
As said , last list price from Rover was $1,200 from an ex dealer, put an “L” on the end of the part nunber and it becomes a landrover part, $750 aud !!
Old 4th December 2019, 18:44   #6
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
they found it was the crank pulley making the noise as they marked the inner and outer of it and found when started , the pulley was very hot and the mark had shifted a fare bit apart so appears it knackered.
The inner/outer mass slippage is (eventually) discussed in this recent thread: https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=281681

Clearly, slippage is the first stage of failure so you are wise to consider the implications. The ability or otherwise to reliably set the crankshaft in the 'safe' position is obviously an important aspect, though there are clearly others.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote