Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th November 2019, 09:34   #1
KeirL
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default checking a 20 CDTi Turbo

Hi
I've my turbo off the car currently (2005 20 CDTi Tourer) and before I put it back to test it fully I wanted to check what I can whilst it's on the bench. Below is a picture as it currently is so do I need to break it down any further to test it properly or is this sufficient.

The haynes manual says to check the body for cracks - all good on that one and to spin the turbine or compressor wheel for shake or roughness. As it is, I can only get to this end (see below) and here is my question.

https://i1347.photobucket.com/albums...psntvpjcnd.jpg

How freely should this spin? If I put a small socket onto the nut as shown below I can turn the vanes with little effort but they don't spin freely in the way that you could spin a bicycle wheel - is this correct?

Also - there is zero 'play' on the shaft whereby the haynes manual says there should be a little bit of play as this is a 'floating' shaft.

I hope all is ok but wanted to make sure this is what I sould expect to find when testing on a bench.

many thanks
Jon
KeirL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2019, 10:10   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Some background reading: https://www.google.co.uk/search?safe...4dUDCAo&uact=5

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2019, 10:43   #3
Sheraton
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 1.8t

Someone can maybe confirm if it's a Journal Bearing used on the Diesel Turbo - if it is a Journal Bearing it won't spin freely without an Oil Supply

Better to check for excessive Shaft play with your finger

From what you have described (I'm assuming Journal Bearing) it doesn't sound like the Bearing has failed

Paul.
Sheraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2019, 11:20   #4
KeirL
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks Paul
The manual states that the shaft is pressured lubricated by an oil feed pipe and that it's 'normal' to have some play.
So I can get why it might be stiff to turn without the pressurised oil being present, but I would then expect to be able to feel some play as the shaft is effectively 'floating' within the oil.

Perhaps the play on these is just very minimal
Old 30th November 2019, 16:11   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

The normal 'float' is not more than 5 thou, probably less. I wonder if you could detect it by hand. The CHRA assembly should turn quite easily, but you'll not make it 'spin' like a bike wheel. It 'floats' in an annular/cylindrical film of oil at high pressure. Without the pressure it isn't floating as such.

TC
Old 30th November 2019, 18:19   #6
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
The normal 'float' is not more than 5 thou, probably less. I wonder if you could detect it by hand. The CHRA assembly should turn quite easily, but you'll not make it 'spin' like a bike wheel. It 'floats' in an annular/cylindrical film of oil at high pressure. Without the pressure it isn't floating as such.

TC
If you can feel any play in the shaft then it will need a rebuild to make it 100%
Old 30th November 2019, 18:57   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
If you can feel any play in the shaft then it will need a rebuild to make it 100%

I agree. However, there are several references on the forums which promote the idea that a palpable slop is 'normal'. I believe that's misleading, but almost everyone has an opinion and some (IMO) are misguided.

TC
Old 30th November 2019, 20:01   #8
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Most manufacturers state some play is acceptable and it reduces when oil fed. A few also state that it’s only excessive if the vanes touch the housing.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2019, 07:51   #9
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeirL View Post
Hi
I've my turbo off the car currently (2005 20 CDTi Tourer) and before I put it back to test it fully I wanted to check what I can whilst it's on the bench. Below is a picture as it currently is so do I need to break it down any further to test it properly or is this sufficient.

How freely should this spin? If I put a small socket onto the nut as shown below I can turn the vanes with little effort but they don't spin freely in the way that you could spin a bicycle wheel - is this correct?

Also - there is zero 'play' on the shaft whereby the haynes manual says there should be a little bit of play as this is a 'floating' shaft.

I hope all is ok but wanted to make sure this is what I sould expect to find when testing on a bench.

many thanks
Jon
Sounds good to me - they don't spin like a bicycle wheel but should move freely with light finger pressure.

These Mitsubishi turbos are the most reliable and long lasting I have come across.

There isn't an easy way to check the seals with it on the bench, but we have owned cars with 188k and 245k miles on the original turbos, and mine is currently at 401k miles and still good.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 1st December 2019 at 08:17..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2019, 08:26   #10
KeirL
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Brilliant - thanks Mike.
It'll go back on soon and it sounds hopeful all should be good.