Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th June 2019, 13:13   #1
Mogodon
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 135+ Diesel Auto Mk2. Nisan Micra 1.4 SVE Auto.

Question Charging electric cars question.

Do they use a lot of electricity to charge up ?

I ask as just back of holiday on a static caravan site where gas and electric was inclusive (every van still has an electricity meter though) and is the way with 99.9% of operators . I read the charge was £3 a day for gas and electricity.

Now I guess its all averaged out so that those that use less than the daily charge worth subsidize those that use more than.

I noticed for the first time this year 3 caravans in our area had electric cars (a Zoe and two Leafs) and they were plugged in all day they were there, and all night by a lead into the caravan through a window, so must have been into a normal 3 pin socket.

I wonder if this becomes more prevalent sites will ban the charging of cars through the "normal" domestic electricity supply, massively hike the unlimited supply charge or as I consider most likely, put pre-payment type electricity meters in vans (so as not to obviously put up the holiday cost)

Wife said it was a bit cheeky using their (sort of) electricity to use off site getting about (same as if you could fill your car LPG tank off the vans gas supply).
Plenum spyhole mod. Powerflow backbox. 11 spoke alloys repainted Black Sparkle. Black Expansion tank. Drivers side cup holder. PPD carpeted heater box sides. Illuminated sun visors, PPD Door reflectors. PPD Seatbelt lower mount bolt covers. PPD Drivers grab handle. Cubby rechargeable torch and power socket. FBH retro-fitted. FBH engine pre-heater mod done. Electric rear Sunblind. Tow bar. Flip key. MGR towing mirrors and Saloon roof bars.

Hand Built in Birmingham

Last edited by Mogodon; 29th June 2019 at 13:36.. Reason: Grammar
Mogodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2019, 14:34   #2
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Depends on what type of car, how much of a charge etc, but about £3 for a Nissan leaf for a full charge.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2019, 16:29   #3
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

You might find the reason they were plugged in all day was because it can take that long to fully recharge if they are completely flat.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2019, 16:36   #4
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quite a good deal really, I can imagine some models would cost £6+ for charging all day and night.

Some public charging stations can charge £15+ for upto a 80% battery charge, even admin fee's on top of that as I understand it.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2019, 16:48   #5
Ian G
This is my second home

Small

Thanked 2,991 Times in 1,431 Posts

I've noticed a few electic powered cars at city park and ride sites where you can park all day and get free leccy for your car, all you need to do is pay for the bus into town and of course they need to be close to the waiting room as well, even closer than the mobility parking in some cases.
I think there is talk of anyone that drives an electric car being on the Queens birthday honours list soon.
Cheers Ian
Old 29th June 2019, 17:03   #6
ricardo65
This is my second home

mgzt cdti 160.mgzt 1.8t mg6 1.8t

Thanked 1,652 Times in 969 Posts

What's the use of a car plugged in all day can electric cars only go out at night ill stick to my combustion engine

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=213906
ricardo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2019, 17:53   #7
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

If you plug into a genuine fast car charger you can get around 80% charge in 45 minutes. If you plugged into your house it could take up to 12 hours. You would only plug into your house in an emergency. A BEV IONIQ costs about £2 - £3 to charge from a proper home charge point.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2019, 17:59   #8
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

These first generation EV's will be obsolete in another 5/10 years, self charging while you drive is the way forward. I'm glad we didn't buy a Zoe a few years back, play the waiting game is what will work me thinks.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2019, 09:21   #9
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Which magazine reported earlier this year in comparison test of Nissan Leaf v Ford Fiesta petrol that the leaf cost £600-£700/year versus petrol fiesta at £1,300. At the moment Paying £10-20k extra for a battery powered high emissions at source polluter is not right. They need to engage in converting existing motors to battery.
For the difference and inconvenience I would stick with petrol any day especially if rural living. Apart from that it’s bad enough worrying about keeping my iPhone topped up, I couldn’t stand the worry of getting from a to b.

The caravan site would have to invest in thousands of pounds to upgrade to fast chargers and unless the site is not willing to treble the costs to users then that is not going to happen soon, and you will have leaf owners plugged in all day.
Perhaps the leaf owners will need a work permit and barrier tape putting up as the electric cable becomes more of a permanent feature. Some kids going to come along and stick whatever in the end of the plug
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2019, 10:40   #10
MGjim
Loves to post

MG ZT-T 160+

Default Electric cars

Reading this post made me think, and I mentioned it to my wife this morning, we had a power cut from 6 yesterday evening until 10:30 this morning, now, if I only had an electric car and had a journey to do today, I would have charged it overnight....
MGjim is offline   Reply With Quote