Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 10th June 2019, 22:43   #1
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts
Default MG ZS Review. (Honest John The Crossover one)

Quote "Maybe your dad or granddad used to own an MG".

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2019, 22:55   #2
Raspberrycai
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Merc 190E 1.8, '91 Yamaha SR125

I've heard a lot of mixed things about these newer MGs. People seem to either love them or hate them. There's a guy on my road who owns the second MG GS sold in the UK and I got chatting to him one day, he thinks it's brilliant. It's surprisingly high-spec, powerfold mirrors and all that. I also looked around a ZS a few months ago and I was fairly surprised at the decent quality of the interior.

As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing that suggests 'MG' to me. They appear to just be perfectly serviceable cars and are pretty cheap with a decent warranty, but exactly what the incentives are to buy one as opposed to something from a better-supported brand with a better reputation, I don't know.

1991 Mercedes 190E 1.8 (Nico) / 1991 Yamaha SR125 (David)
This vehicle (Nigel) was born Wednesday, 15th September 2004 @ 08:14:39 and was the 103,810th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381 - This vehicle was the 3,096th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744 - This vehicle was the 303rd 75 in Platinum Gold (code: MCN) to be made out of 1,685 Platinum Gold 75s
Raspberrycai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2019, 05:15   #3
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberrycai View Post
I've heard a lot of mixed things about these newer MGs. People seem to either love them or hate them. There's a guy on my road who owns the second MG GS sold in the UK and I got chatting to him one day, he thinks it's brilliant. It's surprisingly high-spec, powerfold mirrors and all that. I also looked around a ZS a few months ago and I was fairly surprised at the decent quality of the interior.

As far as I'm concerned, there's nothing that suggests 'MG' to me. They appear to just be perfectly serviceable cars and are pretty cheap with a decent warranty, but exactly what the incentives are to buy one as opposed to something from a better-supported brand with a better reputation, I don't know.
Mrs Simondi owned a 3 style lux for around 2 1\2 years and loved it. Prior to this she had driven Astra's for around 10 years.
We had the the 3 getting serviced at our local dealership in Prestwick, Brysons. They had a ZS in the showroom and she was really impressed.
Fast forward a couple of months and she became the owner of her ZS. 5 years interest free and 7 year warranty. Now don't get me wrong, if the dealer wasn't there then we probably wouldn't have bought. Mrs Simondi works in Ayr, so come service time she drops the car off in Prestwick on her way through.
We did consider Ford EcoSport and Vauxhall Moka along with offerings from Kia, Renault and Hyundai. The MG won. Brand loyalty, yes. Price, yes. Looks yes. Credit and warranty, yes. Dealer, massive yes. They have from time to time looked after both my ZT and TF without any problems.

Some don't like the new MGs - lots of reasons first among which is that in their view it's not a proper MG. Fair enough. Each to their own but bear in mind there are those who say the Z cars are not proper MGs and likewise for anything not built in Abingdon!

I really like the ZS and would heartily recommend one based on my experience. I know that there will be others who disagree.
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2019, 10:40   #4
Stephen Fussell
Regional Secretary

2015 Mini Challenge 210 & 2005 Rover 75 Classic CDTi

I purchased mine December 2017 and I have to say, for a budget family load lugger it's been fantastic.
Stephen Fussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2019, 12:08   #5
Yella Fella
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

None at the moment

Thanked 1,094 Times in 666 Posts

Some people can struggle with change.

I'm glad we don't have gas light anymore and that we have electricity.

I'm please I have a watch that tells the time because those sun dials are a nightmare to carry about.

I'm chuffed to bits that my car has a starter motor because I kept misplacing the starting handle.

But I do long for a brand new MG that has a carburettor and leaf spring suspension, apparently thats modern.

Yes some people can struggle with change and modern motoring is difficult to accept for some.

Last edited by Yella Fella; 11th June 2019 at 14:07..
Yella Fella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2019, 13:17   #6
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

Went for a test drive a few weeks ago along with my brother in law and we were both impressed enough that he bought one.
For around 14k for the mid spec excite model it’s great value for money. Having owned several MG’s and a current TF, this car bears no resemblance to to the old British designed and built MG. It’s a Chinese car with a recognisable badge.
Call it a brown duck if you want but as long as it does it’s job for the price you pay then simply enjoy it.
MG as we knew it died in 2005. China bought the name. Move on.
Old 11th June 2019, 14:12   #7
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Looks like they are all poverty spec Halogen headlamps... lol.

you cannot even spec black headlining either, what a tragic waste of time.

1.5 Diesel, 5 speed manual in this day an age is commercial suicide, nothing new, nothing exciting, nothing at all really.

So generic its an insult to the definition of the word. What a crying shame, it really looks like a dreadful Chinese Tur.d
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2019, 14:34   #8
Raspberrycai
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon, Merc 190E 1.8, '91 Yamaha SR125

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post

1.5 Diesel, 5 speed manual in this day an age is commercial suicide, nothing new, nothing exciting, nothing at all really.

So generic its an insult to the definition of the word. What a crying shame, it really looks like a dreadful Chinese Tur.d

As boring as it seems on paper, there's people who like boring. A 1.5 diesel and a turbocharged 1.0 petrol is pretty standard, and though not exciting, the car does offer quite a bit for its price which is likely its main selling point.

As I've said before, I reckon the main drawback of this car is that many will likely choose a car from a more well-established brand, such as Nissan or Toyota. Compared to those bigger manufacturers MG appear almost irrelevant, I don't think too many people will be choosing the ZS. I think the problem is that as a new brand, people don't really know what to expect. Whilst the warranty is good, I'm not sure it's enough to detract people from buying from more well-established brands.

1991 Mercedes 190E 1.8 (Nico) / 1991 Yamaha SR125 (David)
This vehicle (Nigel) was born Wednesday, 15th September 2004 @ 08:14:39 and was the 103,810th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381 - This vehicle was the 3,096th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744 - This vehicle was the 303rd 75 in Platinum Gold (code: MCN) to be made out of 1,685 Platinum Gold 75s
Raspberrycai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2019, 14:38   #9
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

It's a 1.5 petrol, not a diesel.
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2019, 14:47   #10
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post

Just look at your cars and then what happened to the rover brand...... yet BMW still exist today.

Generic sells.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote