Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 4th January 2020, 20:26   #10631
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Leaking master cylinder......damned thing only lasted five years since I bodged it back together using bits from other cylinders

Well I've had my tea, I might as well head back outside and fit it now

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_7126.jpg (133.9 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_7128.jpg (120.3 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_7130.jpg (71.9 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_7132.jpg (82.6 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_7137.jpg (127.1 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail_IMG_7140.jpg (96.4 KB, 98 views)
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2020, 21:28   #10632
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Well that's the pedal box refurbished and reinstalled, the clutch pedal is light and smooth, and my rechargeable lamp is flat.

That coupled with the ache in my left arm after dislocating my elbow last week means tomorrow will see the fitting of the steering column and other little bits and bobs.

I've only been putting off replacing the blower motor for about, errr nearly a year now, and I can honestly say I won't be doing another in a hurry that's for sure

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2020, 22:00   #10633
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I’ve only ever removed a heater motor twice. A few years ago we had a car going for scrap and a stock car with a failed motor. It was decided that the scrap car would doner it’s motor, how hard can it be..... at least only one car needed put back together. Hateful job!

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2020, 22:14   #10634
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Cool worst job ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Well today goes down in the annals of history as the worst job ever on a 75 or ZT........replacing the ATC blower motor.

Dead easy, only one plug and three screws holding it in.......well yes however to remove and refit, you first need to remove the pedal box

So after a leisurely walk with the hound, I starts in on the job.....all is going well until it's time to remove the pedal shaft, would it move.......nope

So off with the steering wheel, the steering column and now we have the space to get the pedal box out.

Removal and replacement of the motor then takes a further five minutes.

Now this is the time to replace that leaky clutch master cylinder, as there is nothing in the way, so off comes the split pin, and the roll pin pressed out, so the pipe can be withdrawn.......so far so good, and after a clean up the new (LHD) master cylinder is fitted to the pipework, the roll pin refitted followed by the split pin.

Buoyed by this success, the easibleed was taken out of hibernation and fitted the new master in readiness, oh cack, the last time I bled a clutch the car had no FBH, so FBH was taken from it's bracket to allow easy access to the slave bleed nipple.

Five minutes, and 250ml of fresh dot 4, and it's time for reassembly.

So the pedal shaft was drifted out, cleaned and lightly oiled ready for refitting, but first the pedal box needed to go back, the clutch and brake switches refitted, and the clutch master bolted on, that's as far as I got, as the next job was to refurbish the blistered paintwork on the clutch pedal......the paint is drying as we speak

More to come in the next thrilling installment of "The Worst Job Ever"

Brian
Lol,

Strange how hearing of someone else's struggles makes one feel slightly better. Not going to complain about changing the air filter after all that!
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2020, 22:43   #10635
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Default Pic of the offending air filter.

Hopefully this works!

I noticed my iPhone pics at 3.55MB were all way over the limit for jpg files on this forum for an attachment.

Apparently the max size is 136.7KB for jpg

I used Photoshop Express to resize the image to around 30KB, so there is room to increase size from there.

Having so many problems getting Win 10 to download my iPhone photos. Used to work fine until the last 'upgrade'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1771_edited.jpg (41.4 KB, 28 views)
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2020, 22:55   #10636
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post

Brian
....... and it turned out to be a blown fuse after all? lol

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2020, 23:18   #10637
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Connoisseur SE 1.8 Auto Saloon

Set off this afternoon to replace the radiator, after all it should only take a couple of hours, right?
Well it took 4 hours of fighting rusted fixings just to get the old one off. And whoever at MGR thought putting a (barely) captive brass nut onto a steel bolt with no spanner access deserves to be shot.

Got it all back together, went to start it and....nothing. Turns over but doesn't even try to start. Swore profusely at the wretched thing and called it a day.

The IACV is chattering constantly with the ignition on, which probably suggests something amiss electrically with the sensor loom. Only one close to the radiator is the crankshaft sensor, so that's where I'll be starting.
mbonwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2020, 23:34   #10638
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Triumph Street Triple R

Today the sun shone a little so I decided to swap out that rear o/s bearing, one of two SNR rear bearings which I fitted in September but this one seemed to have an annoying low level grumble.
(I might add, I was not convinced it was the bearing so recently had my friend drive my car while I rummaged around in the back trying to locate the source of the rumble which was evident right down to a stop. It definitely emanated from the rear offside.)
So out I snuck today in the lovely sunshine, jack up rear, off with the wheel, off with the caliper complete. Disk off, nut loosened and bearing out.
Hmmm,, seems smooth and fine to me as I thought it might be.
Set to one side. A new Drivetec bearing fitted and all nailed back together, hand brake adjusted and back on the tarmac in 15 minutes.
Off for a ride,,,,,,guess what,,,,,, noise still there.!! GRRRRR!

Tomorrow original bearing going back on and replacement going back to supplier!

Still yet to find the source of the annoying background growl.

All tyres ZZ5 Avon’s new 3000 miles ago and no probs there.

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.
Clickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2020, 10:23   #10639
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clickernick View Post
Today the sun shone a little so I decided to swap out that rear o/s bearing, one of two SNR rear bearings which I fitted in September but this one seemed to have an annoying low level grumble.
(I might add, I was not convinced it was the bearing so recently had my friend drive my car while I rummaged around in the back trying to locate the source of the rumble which was evident right down to a stop. It definitely emanated from the rear offside.)
So out I snuck today in the lovely sunshine, jack up rear, off with the wheel, off with the caliper complete. Disk off, nut loosened and bearing out.
Hmmm,, seems smooth and fine to me as I thought it might be.
Set to one side. A new Drivetec bearing fitted and all nailed back together, hand brake adjusted and back on the tarmac in 15 minutes.
Off for a ride,,,,,,guess what,,,,,, noise still there.!! GRRRRR!

Tomorrow original bearing going back on and replacement going back to supplier!

Still yet to find the source of the annoying background growl.

All tyres ZZ5 Avon’s new 3000 miles ago and no probs there.
Run your hand over the tyre width to feel for any feathering and uneven wear, this can sound like a failed wheel bearing

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2020, 10:36   #10640
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Might be worth swapping the wheel with the spare just to rule it out.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote