Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th December 2019, 09:54   #431
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Bob, best wishes.

Our experience in this life with those who's parting creates such emotions especially at this time of year, are treasures that only we can have; we are odd beasties.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2019, 11:44   #432
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool The rest of Christmas Day..............

................................. was spent eating a cracking dinner complete with a fresh salmon starter followed by the turkey main course and finished off with a flaming Xmas pud fired up by some surplus Jim Beam. Surplus??
In between the main course and flaming pud Val went out to a relatives house to take a Xmas dinner. Whilst she was gone Debbie and I washed and wiped up whilst Allen put everything away. And of course there was still more falling down water to be consumed. Nice couple of bottles of Rose wine needed to be gone.

Once Val was back the pud was dished up with a choice of proper Cornish Clotted Cream or Baileys flavoured cream. I was holding up well but could start to feel the cold starting to take hold. We retired to the lounge to open a few presents and then Allen made the tea for Val, Barbara and Debbie. I had to make do with a pint of Rattler with a Jameson chaser. For the rest of the afternoon and into the early evening my glass was never empty. Plus my voice was on it’s way out again.

Debbie’s brother popped in with his wife and daughter. More tea but not for me. After they went home. Debbie was off to see her sons but was going to drop Barbara off home first thus saving Val the trip.
About 7pm I Decided to go home, was not feeling my best. Think the cold was really starting to kick in big time, nothing to do with the Jameson’s, honestly.
I was quite prepared to walk home but Val n Allen insisted they would drive me home, well Val would be driving.
I was ever so grateful for the lift.

Once in doors I basically just went to bed. Had a lousy night coughing, sneezing and a nose that needed a new washer. Managed to get downstairs to make myself a Lemsip and take some cough mixture. Seemed to work as I slept till 08.00.
Got up but kept my PJ’s on. That’s a sign of me being unwell not getting dressed.
I got myself downstairs and made a cuppa, ate a banana and prepared a casserole in the slow cooker. Then I went back to bed. Set the alarm for 2 pm. The casserole would be ready by then.

Just got downstairs at 2pm when Allen phoned to make sure I was ok. I assured him I was ok. I did say I had a permanent headache from all that coughing. Allen said to take a couple of paracetamol. Good idea.
Ate some of the casserole, tasted of nothing. Washed up and put everything away. Nearly 15.00, right where is the paracetamol? None to be found but I did find some Co-codamol, so I took two of them plus a Lemsip max and a large glug of cough mixture and went to bed.

19 hours later I woke up. The cold was gone, still have slight cough though. I slept solid for 19 hours, think I may have woke up a couple of times. I know I sweated a lot as the sheets, quilt and PJ’s were wet.
Actually got dressed after I had a shower to wash away that sweaty feeling that covers your body.
Had a bit of breakfast and checked the club shop. Numerous orders to be compiled. Calendars, pens, mugs and new membership packs to be got ready.

Well, here we are on the 29th. (Someone’s birthday today), happy to have spent Xmas in my new home. Going to see the New Year in here as well. I have no desire to travel back up to London, although I will be on the 9th and returning on the 12th, which coincides with a breakfast meet on the way home. I expect I’ll take the Bear for a change.
Been here 6 months and 3 weeks now and am still loving it.

On Christmas Day whilst we was in the pub, Allen asked me if I had any regrets on moving down, without any hesitation I replied No. No regrets at at all. Glad I did it, glad I moved.

So No Going Back...........................

(Many thanks for the kind comments and the pm’s. Means a lot to have so many friends out there.
I WISH YOU ALL A VERY HAPPY NEW YEAR)

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2019, 14:32   #433
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
On Christmas Day whilst we was in the pub, Allen asked me if I had any regrets on moving down, without any hesitation I replied No. No regrets at at all. Glad I did it, glad I moved.

So No Going Back...........................
Well done Bob
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2019, 14:27   #434
Graham1961
Moderator / RS East Scotland

Rover 75 1.8 Conn Se saloon

After living in one place for do long, moving can be hard as you get used to a place/house but it worked out great for you and you picked a wonderful area to stay.
Old 30th December 2019, 14:44   #435
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham1961 View Post
After living in one place for do long, moving can be hard as you get used to a place/house but it worked out great for you and you picked a wonderful area to stay.
Thanks Graham.

Yes it was a huge wrench to leave, but having left I have no yearning to return. The promises of old neighbours that said they would keep in touch soon fizzled out. Only one friend, who still lives in Barkingside, has kept in touch and that is by letter as he does not own a mobile or a computer. Old fashioned to the core.

Happy that I made the decision with no regrets.

Hoping to make Grantown next year.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
Old 2nd January 2020, 16:33   #436
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool New Years Day......................

................................... was a terrific day.

Having seen the New Year with a glass of Malt, just the one as well. Been without booze all evening as I had a lot of driving to do on the next day. But I was very happy just seeing in the New Year. Yet another new star for me being in my own home. I did see last years new year in in my previous rented house here in Saltash.

New Years Day started off wet and misty. So with the Bear we travelled round to collect Allen & Val, only taking one car as our final destination was going to be Mousehole, and no idea what the parking would be like. But our first stop was going to be at Trevaskis Farm Restaurant in Connor Downs just past Camborne. The roads were very quiet and we covered the 62 miles in just under an hour. We parked up with the other MG’s belonging to the Cornish MGOC.
42 of us sat down to breakfast.

After breakfast and the photo’s were taken in the car park we took our leave. Our next stopping point was going to be Penzance. Again the roads were quiet so the 7 miles were covered quickly. Parked in the huge waterside car park. Across the road and into the shopping area. Most shops were shut but we had a good wander around the old and new parts of Penzance.
We stopped for tea in a quirky cafe. They had old suitcases, cut in half, on the walls and were being used as shelves. Chinese lanterns hung from the ceiling giving out the light.

Allen reported that the Gents loo was amazing and suggested I took my camera in to get some photos. I said I would leave visiting the wee room till we left. Val went off to investigate the Ladies but said there was nothing strange in there.
Time to leave, so whilst Allen & Val paid I went for a wee. Well I never, on the ceiling of the loo was like a mirror image of the loo. There was a toilet, wash basin, toilet brush all attached to the ceiling. To was your hands you had to turn the tap on the basin on the ceiling to get the water out. I was nervous at flushing the loo, but all was ok.

We found our way back to the car and took the coast road to Mousehole, passing through Newlyn. Home of the lifeboat disaster a few years back. When the lifeboat was lost with all of it’s crew after the freighter it went out to rescue capsized onto the lifeboat. Both crews perished.
We pulled into the car park at Mousehole. £5 to park all day.
We then wandered into Mousehole past the Rover garage. They have a City Rover For Sale for £895 in the showroom.

We walked down to the harbour and around the village. Lovely quaint fishing village. However as the light show was actually being held in the inner harbour it was devoid of any boats. They were either moored back in Newlyn or hauled up onto the roads. Only small boats of course.
We had a lovely steak pasty made whilst we waited. Washed down with a cuppa. We sat overlooking the harbour and enjoyed our food. The village was beginning to fill up with people.

The lights came on at 5pm. Wow! What a lovely show. Up on the hill the lights spelt out Happy New Year 2020. Well worth a visit if you have never been.

To be continued.................

onen hag oll
Old 2nd January 2020, 17:48   #437
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Mousehole was packed.......................

...................................... so much that cars were unable to get through. And if you was parked around the harbour you had no chance of getting out as the the lights stayed on till 11pm. We was parked on the outskirts so we would not have to drive round the one way system to get out. To help to pay for the light show the volunteers came around with the donation buckets. Well worth a couple of quid to us.

The couple sitting next to us had driven down from Birmingham the day before just to see the show and were driving back this very night. No idea where they were parked, hopefully in the same car park as us. And they left before we did.
And the weather was starting to turn chilly so we decided to make a break for it before it got too busy. Well, the people were still coming down the hill. No traffic just people, thought it was strange there was no cars but once we reached the car park we saw the reason why. No one could get past the cars that were lining up to get into the car park.

We got the Bear started up and now it was time to try and manoeuvre out of the space, with so many cars wanting our space there was not a lot of room. And the Bear has no reversing sensors I had to rely on the rear camera to help me back. But we was soon out and on the road back. Through Newlyn where the lights were shining brights. Fabulous Xmas tree lit up. I followed the signs for Redruth and onto the A30. We was not going straight home as we had been told there was a fabulous light show in a village at Arrangrock which was not far from Trevaskis.

We followed the sign posts to Arrangrock but the there was nowhere to park, it was similar to Mousehole, the roads were full of people. What lights we saw were fantastic but I was more than happy that we had seen the lights at Mousehole. We found our way back towards Connor Downs and back onto the A30. Again the traffic was light. We could see a sea of blue lights in the distance and they were going the same way as us.
Well, we didn’t have long to wait. Brake lights were coming on. With our hazards on we slowed to a walking pace.

We was guided off the road and down the slip road by the police, there car was blocking the A30. With Allen guiding me we found our way home via Bodmin. Once there I knew where I was and was soon back on the A38. We made good time and was soon home. I dropped my passengers off and I returned home. Checked the mileage and we had covered a total of 148.5 miles, and we still had fuel left.
Indoors and a single malt was soon being poured down the throat. And I was sure tired but happy with how the day had turned out.

Lovely friends made the day very special to me.

Thanks for reading.

onen hag oll
Old 7th January 2020, 17:28   #438
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Well, at least to smoke alarm................

...................................... works. Fancied doing a stir fry. Not done one since I have been in the New house. So chicken cut up and left to marinate in some Soya Sauce. Bought a tub of stir fry vegetables. So done all the prep, shoved a plate under the grill to warm through. Now on my hob I have 5 gas rings and the middle one is for a wok.

So with that ignited away I went. Chicken and soya in, left to cook for a few minutes and put the lid on. Got the veg ready to put in, took the lid off and WOW!! Where did all the smoke come from, too high a heat. The smoke alarm now went ballistic. I turned the heat down and put the veg in, smoke alarm still working. Tossed the chicken and veg and put the lid back on whilst I turned the alarm off. But it would not turn off. Had to take it down and take the battery out.

Turned the gas off along with the grill, got the plate out and dished up. Well, I must admit it was delicious, nothing left on the plate. Had an apple for dessert. Then washed up, dried and put everything away. Put the battery back into the alarm, tested it and put back into it’s holder on the ceiling.

Couple of days ago I needed to go into Plymouth, needed to go to the bank. Plus I had some club stock to post off. So I got the bus as far as the Street. Into the chemist to collect my repeat prescription, then into the Post Office. Stock sent and walked down to the bus stop. And along came a double decker. Just like a big kid I went upstairs and sat at the front. And as per norm I had my camera with me. Took a few pictures as the bus crossed over the Tamar and headed for the Dark Side.

Rode on the bus into Plymouth, off the bus and had a wander around the shops before making my way to the bank. Took some time but the bank business was completed. Normally I would have had a walk to the Ho but as it was a nice day I thought I would return home and get the cars washed, both were dirty.
So with that back on the bus, single decker, and home we went.

Thanks for reading, and the kind comments.

onen hag oll
Old 8th January 2020, 20:34   #439
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool 7 months have passed.................

.................................... since I moved in to my lovely home. Lots of things have happened since I moved in.
One of the saddest was the news that my god son Richard had passed away on the 12th December 2019. That news hit me hard. Had I not been with friends on the Isle of Wight at the time I’m not sure how I would have coped.

Richard’s funeral is tomorrow and my planned attendance has had to be changed. Richards ex-wife seemed to be in charge of the arrangements but that has all gone pear shaped. She told me the funeral was at Noon, turns out I would have missed the ceremony as the funeral is at 10am.

I had a lengthy phone call with a Richards brother Roger, think that’s only the 4th time I have spoken to him in the last 45 years. Roger lives in Brazil, he owns a string of bars and restaurants, a self made millionaire. He said that he was not expecting me to attend the ceremony as I lived so far away. People seem to think because I live in Cornwall they think I live at Lands End.
To be perfectly honest I did not want to go. So I suppose I have an excuse not to go.

But at 10am I will say a little prayer for Richard. Roger has told me that there is something in Richards will for me, no idea what. Richard had to make a will out owing to his work, he was an outside broadcast cameraman. Worked freelance but served his apprenticeship with the BBC. Never went to any war zones if he could help it, but a will still had to be made.

Richards ex-wife has been kicked into touch and told not to attend the funeral. She only stuck her oar in thinking she would get something out of the will, sad the way people want to grab some money. The bulk of the will is all going to Richards daughter. It was her that found her fathers body on her garden path. He was going to put the Xmas tree up and get it decorated.

Started on the garden again today before the rain came. Got two large bags of rubbish for the Bear to take to the tip tomorrow. The rear garden is ready to receive the new plants I want to put in. I weeded and cut various plants back in the side and front gardens. Everything looks neater and tidier now. My Camila at the front has shed most of it’s flowers but the one in the rear garden is still flowering like their is no tomorrow.

The plan to return to London will possibly be at the end of this month, but that will be my only visit this year. I may go up to the occasional breakfast meet, like this Sunday, and maybe the Clandon Show but other than that I have no inclination to return. I’ll miss not seeing Richard nor attend Val’s grave but I think they will both understand.

Many thanks for reading.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 8th January 2020 at 20:35.. Reason: Lost letters found
Old 14th January 2020, 09:30   #440
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool 2 years ago today.....................

......................................... I put my flat up For Sale in Barkingside. After a couple of false starts it was finally sold. Been living in Cornwall now for 19 months, 12 months in the rented house and the last 7 months in my own house.
Quite a lot has happened in those months but not once have I regretted making that decision to move.

I have no desire to travel abroad, this county and the rest of the British Isles have so much to offer. And this year the mini tours will get started pretty soon, but whether London will be in those tours, that I’m not sure about. I know I should go back up to London as I have some family there but at the moment there is no inclination to go. Was pretty close to London last weekend. But wanted to get home as soon as possible.

The funeral of my god son was a very quiet affair, according to his brother Roger. The will has been read and I’ll be getting a parcel in the post in a couple of weeks. I’m intrigued to know what it is, but I’ll just have to wait. Roger has given me no clue what it might be. The rest of Richards estate has been sorted out with the bulk going to his daughter. She will be moving into her fathers house, then selling her own home. Richards house is huge compared to hers. She has also inherited her fathers two cars and 4 motor bikes. She rides a bike anyway and has a car license but no car, well now she has two.

So this is now my home now so NO GOING BACK.

Thanks for reading.

onen hag oll