Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

View Poll Results: Have your kv6 camshaft end-caps ailed
I have had them replaced over 5k miles ago and they are fine 3 60.00%
I had them replaced and they failed / fell out 2 40.00%
I had originals (not replacements ) fail 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st December 2019, 13:53   #11
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolin View Post
One point about using seals not caps - I have seen on another engine (Pug XUD in a Rover 218 R8 shape) the end of the camshaft that sticks out beyond the seal go rusty ...

I have seen the same thing happen on a Rover 75 when the caps were missing; very poor practice in my opinion.

If the original caps are removed carefully they will be much easier to refit than a new one and they will still provide an effective seal.

Simon
Old 21st December 2019, 15:02   #12
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Just when I get around to adding to the poll I find it's closed.

Well I'm going against the grain here, yes my daughter's Tourer blew a cap. One winter when it was really cold (about -25c) I heard of three 75 owners who suffered blown caps, two were lucky blowing the rear caps and near home, the third owner wasn't so lucky. Front cap blew contaminating everything, engine wrecked.

A local mechanic made some safety brackets and fitted them to every 75 that came into the workshop. I've got them fitted to my latest V6.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2019, 06:22   #13
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

When I did the belts, both on my 190 and my pervious Freelander I knocked the caps off with a hammer and screwdriver. I found the new caps impossible to fit (More trouble than my motivation allowed anyway!) so I reused the old caps complete with the screwdriver dents. I installed them with a good smear of Hylomar and haven't had any problems since. I had the DMGRS seals as a backup in case the caps didn't fit but ended up not using them. No leaks, no problems.
If the caps are blowing out it may be a good idea to check the crankcase venting as that much pressure shouldn't be building up in the engine.

Last edited by Rich in Vancouver; 22nd December 2019 at 06:25..
Rich in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2019, 09:38   #14
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver View Post
If the caps are blowing out it may be a good idea to check the crankcase venting as that much pressure shouldn't be building up in the engine.
Of course they may not be "blowing out", that may be an assumption when in fact they are falling out due to insecure fitment.

If crankcase pressure is suspected, start by checking the breather tubes under the engine acoustic cover followed by the pinhole orifice in each cam cover which becomes blocked with carbon deposits.

Simon
Old 22nd December 2019, 09:43   #15
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in Vancouver View Post
It shouldn't build up but it does even with a breather system which has been cleaned as per the book. I recently did some work on a KV6 and found an extended Shannon tube that fed air from around the exhaust to counter this possibility.

Have a look here: https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...=104108&page=3 describing the situation in Russia with roughly the same low temperatures.

From what I see of your winter temperatures on-line you should be safe there in Vancouver, just be careful where you visit in the winter months.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2019, 02:59   #16
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

That's correct Vitesse. The weather here is the most mild in Canada. I am in the very south-west portion of the province, only a hill away from being in sight of the Pacific. (Technically the Salish Sea which is attached to the Pacific)
In the past few years our winters have been milder that yours in the UK. Mostly rain, rain, rain with an occasional snowfall so it is easy on the cars.
I try to stay near home in the winter as travelling any direction but south means going through the mountain passes with vert treacherous winter conditions. On the off chance that we have to venture that way we will press the wife's 4wd Kia into service. Last year I had my Freelander so there were no winter worries. It was traded for the ZT but I have already told my boss that anything more than a light dusting of snow will have me taking a holiday day.
There are literally NO spare ZT body parts in Canada so why take chances?