Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 28th August 2019, 06:53   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default How long to give a dealer?

I ordered some items for a job, they arrived on time but looked faulty.
Replacements were sent but faulty items not collected. Contacted retailer and advised items not collected. We agreed I would contact them at least 1 day before I could be home for them to be collected. Contacted them again
collection date agreed, items again not collected.
Have sent them an email to advise and I have not heard anything.

How many times would you contact a retailer and how long would you hold onto the items before deciding they the items are yours ?

Any idea what the law says on this point?

I don't really want to hold on to the items, scrap them or even sell them as I thought the retailer did a good job replacing the items and I'd feel as if I were treating them badly but also, I don't want to keep chasing them.

If I were still working "full time" I'd just escalate to the next level in their management chain.

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2019, 07:00   #2
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Send a letter recorded delivery to them declaring that if they are not collected within the next 7 days you will presume they don't want them and you will dispose of them.

Give them your Email, and phone numbers and you will be covered.

I suspect if they are faulty they are only going to dispose of them anyway so they are thinking they might as well go in your bin rather than there's ?

I had exactly the same with a non working new Alternator purchased from an online car parts seller, I eventually got hold if them on the phone and they just told me to put it in the bin as that is all they were going to do with it .
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2019, 07:13   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
Send a letter recorded delivery to them declaring that if they are not collected within the next 7 days you will presume they don't want them and you will dispose of them.

Give them your Email, and phone numbers and you will be covered.

I suspect if they are faulty they are only going to dispose of them anyway so they are thinking they might as well go in your bin rather than there's ?

I had exactly the same with a non working new Alternator purchased from an online car parts seller, I eventually got hold if them on the phone and they just told me to put it in the bin as that is all they were going to do with it .

what, spend money on a stamp

macafee2
Old 28th August 2019, 16:51   #4
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Why the rush? Just wait for them to be collected. Surely if the items have been replaced then the ones to be returned will never be yours to bin or sell, although I’m not sure why you would suggest selling if they are faulty. Many retailers would of asked for the items to be returned first for checking before issuing new parts. They’ve done the right thing, I think you should do the same. Just my thoughts

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle

Last edited by sworks; 28th August 2019 at 17:12..
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2019, 17:19   #5
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Its most probably a courier issue, and the retailer is trying to rearrange the collection before they get back to you.

All you need to do is make the goods available for uplift, you could also ask the retailer to email you a prepaid return label if collection is going to be difficult. I have in the past offered to take a parcel to a local Collect+ or Hermes drop-off point, you could even use RM.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2019, 18:10   #6
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
Why the rush? Just wait for them to be collected. Surely if the items have been replaced then the ones to be returned will never be yours to bin or sell, although I’m not sure why you would suggest selling if they are faulty. Many retailers would of asked for the items to be returned first for checking before issuing new parts. They’ve done the right thing, I think you should do the same. Just my thoughts
I take it you read where I said "I don't really want to hold on to the items, scrap them or even sell them "

An item can be faulty but useable, think of a washing machine with a dented side, still useable but faulty.

Contacted them twice, kind of makes me think I am doing the right thing, don't you?

Tomorrow I will contact them again.

macafee2
Old 28th August 2019, 20:07   #7
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I apologise if I read it incorrectly, I read "I don't really want to hold on to the items, scrap them or even sell them“ as 3 options. If I were in your position I’d wait until the items were collected, as I posted earlier they are no longer yours once you’ve had a replacement.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2019, 21:11   #8
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
I apologise if I read it incorrectly, I read "I don't really want to hold on to the items, scrap them or even sell them“ as 3 options. If I were in your position I’d wait until the items were collected, as I posted earlier they are no longer yours once you’ve had a replacement.
May be we have our wires crossed.
I have advised the company twice the items have not been collected. How long would you wait before saying, stuff this if you cant collect then I'll deem that you don't want them, they are now mine.

I will try again tomorrow as the supplier was very good in the first place but should my third attempt be my last ?

macafee2
Old 30th August 2019, 20:16   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Item has been collected

macafee2