Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 13th January 2013, 11:55   #1
gpcck

Rover 75

Default To Flush or not to Flush Engine? 1.8 K Series.

Ive just got me new 75. Its 2005 with 29k miles...Quite mint with a FSH.
Im going to maintain it myself and im going to Service it tomorrow. Would there be any benefit in flushing the engine everytime i change the oil? Im going to change the oil every 3k miles as I can get the oil & filter for around £15, so i makes sense to give the engine a good life.
I know the arguments about flushing can disturb helpful carbon build up etc. But I don`t have too much experience of the K series.
You views would be more than welcome.
Thanks.
Gary
gpcck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 11:57   #2
carl_z_t
Gets stuck in

MGZT190+

ive always been in the thought the oil is technically flushing the system hence it getting black in the first place and any rubbish disturbed just gets sucked into the oil strainer at the bottom on the sump!
carl_z_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 12:05   #3
robmac
Loves to post

2004 rover 75 CONNOISSEUR cdti

afaik if you are going to change the oil every 3k then that will be enough to keep the engine internals clean..no flushing required imho.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 12:07   #4
gpcck

Rover 75

I understand what your saying and if i change every 3k then this will keep the engine really clean. The question i have is should i clean the engine with a flush before i start my 3k oil change schedule? The flushing is supposed to clear pipes etc. Does anyone here hot flush their 1.8 before an oil change?
Thanks
Old 13th January 2013, 14:01   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

No oil change removes all the old fluid. For example, the stuff residing in an oil cooler stays in the oil cooler. I've no doubt there are plenty of other areas in an engine which cannot be drained in the conventional way. So, any 'foreign' material added to the sump, such as a flush, will inevitably remain within the engine when the fresh oil is added. Flushes are meant to flush, not to run an engine on. I suspect the reality of engine flushing has more to do with marketing than it has about sound engineering.

Some old neglected engines, loaded with sludgy deposit may benefit from flushing but not many.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 14:13   #6
bigbird
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 V.V.C.. Connoisseur

My 1.8k has done 102.000 miles ..has never been flushed...just regular service intervals and is running sweet flushing is for the toilet
bigbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 15:03   #7
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpcck View Post
Ive just got me new 75. Its 2005 with 29k miles...Quite mint with a FSH.
Im going to maintain it myself and im going to Service it tomorrow. Would there be any benefit in flushing the engine everytime i change the oil? Im going to change the oil every 3k miles as I can get the oil & filter for around £15, so i makes sense to give the engine a good life.
I know the arguments about flushing can disturb helpful carbon build up etc. But I don`t have too much experience of the K series.
You views would be more than welcome.
Thanks.
Gary
My 1.8, which I've had for 8 years, has only done 35k miles and I change the oil every 2.5 to 3k miles - the old oil always comes out looking like new. So flushing would be a complete waste. I use a premium synthetic oil so that also helps.

But, with my CDTI, bike and quad which I bought second hand, I flushed the engine after buying the vehicle with the engine oil that I indended to use long term. Gives me a good clean engine from which to move forward. I feel that is worth doing.

Last edited by MSS; 13th January 2013 at 16:01..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 15:48   #8
gpcck

Rover 75

Thanks. I considered using fully Synthetic but i`ve gone with semi 10w40 Vauxhall branded oil instead.
Would there be a real benefit in NOW using fully Synthetic against Semi in the 7 year old engine?
Thanks
Old 13th January 2013, 15:53   #9
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpcck View Post
Thanks. Would there be a real benefit in NOW using fully Synthetic against Semi in the 7 year old engine?
Thanks
Not really, I'm a self-confessed oil snob hence my practices.

A quality 10W40 semi-synth is all that's required in the K series. Especially if the change intervals are <9-10k Miles. I use the Vauxhall one in my Omega V6 and it's good quality/value.

Last edited by MSS; 13th January 2013 at 15:57..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2013, 16:01   #10
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

>>>I change the oil every 2.5 to 3k miles <<<

I think you are pouring money down the drain hole!! You are prob getting more mpg in fuel than you do with oil!!

Diesels need fairly frequent oil changes, (5K ish) but I never changed the oil in a petrol engined car more often than every 30k miles..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote