Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th October 2020, 17:45   #1
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

Angry Why i hate tyre centres

My ZT has just failing MoT with a hole in the sill.
When I went into the garage, coastal MoT of sheringham who are excellent the chap said have you jacked this up recently?
Then showed me the hole
I recently had two Avons fitted at ATS as they were on sale.
. After I had been there I noticed there was a pad missing so went back to see if it was there. He said it was missing when it came in . Didn't bother to tell me and raised the car on and odd lift with some strange metal blocks under the jacking points but I couldn't see the damaged side
Halfway through they came in the waiting room with some mythical tale of wheel alignment issues but wouldn't let me see it as public aren't allowed in the fitting area so I declined.
I've rang them but the staff who were on on Tuesday aren't in until tomorrow so I'm going to raise hell in there tomorrow
I'm getting the sill patched by coastal as I need the car tomorrow but then get my bodysuit to do a proper job and try and get ATS to pay which maybe a long shot
P...d me off that they come out with NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- about wheel alignment issues that don't exist and if I wanted wheels swapped front to rear the existing ones have to be balanced but genuine issues like missing jacking pads are missing
Russp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2020, 17:56   #2
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russp View Post
When I went into the garage, coastal MoT of sheringham who are excellent the chap said have you jacked this up recently?
Then showed me the hole
I recently had two Avons fitted at ATS as they were on sale.
. After I had been there I noticed there was a pad missing so went back to see if it was there. He said it was missing when it came in . Didn't bother to tell me and raised the car on and odd lift with some strange metal blocks under the jacking points but I couldn't see the damaged side
Halfway through they came in the waiting room with some mythical tale of wheel alignment issues but wouldn't let me see it as public aren't allowed in the fitting area so I declined.
I've rang them but the staff who were on on Tuesday aren't in until tomorrow so I'm going to raise hell in there tomorrow
I'm getting the sill patched by coastal as I need the car tomorrow but then get my bodysuit to do a proper job and try and get ATS to pay which maybe a long shot
P...d me off that they come out with NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- about wheel alignment issues that don't exist and if I wanted wheels swapped front to rear the existing ones have to be balanced but genuine issues like missing jacking pads are missing
My local tc has also made a fundamental mess-up. Wheel bolts tightened so tight that it bent a power bar which had to be given extra leverage by a trolley jack handle. It's not even a "school boy" error as their trade association provides the correct advice - 'tighten to a low torque setting and then tighten to the correct torque with a torque wrench'. An air wrench set a maximum is not the way to go.

They also found a sheared locking bolt. When shown I figured it failed due to metal fatigue or flaw. Now I suspect they cross threaded it when using the air wrench on the previous set of tyres fitted.

I'd do the job myself (as I used to do) but those wheels/tyres sure are heavy when carrying them 100 yards.

Kev

Last edited by torque2me; 29th October 2020 at 17:57.. Reason: spelling
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2020, 18:11   #3
It runs
Avid contributor

Rover 75 saloon

It really pays off going to the same local tyre fitters
I get my tyres from the same MOT station that I use for my cars and the tyre prices or good aswel .
If they remember your name it's a good start.
Recently put 4 new tyres 205/80/15 £180.
I only needed 2 front but usually change the lot at the same time.
Hopefully you will get it sorted do you need the push in rubbers although they feel like plastic I have a couple of spares
Old 29th October 2020, 18:14   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

I don't let them anywhere near the car.

Drop the wheels off, pick them up once the new boots are on and fit them.

I'd fit them meself too if I had the balancing gear.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2020, 18:22   #5
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
I don't let them anywhere near the car.

Drop the wheels off, pick them up once the new boots are on and fit them.

I'd fit them meself too if I had the balancing gear.
Yeah, that is the way to go but I'm getting too old to transport four wheel/tyre units to the TC. However, if I have the old jalopy out then I'll use that but I can only fit one wheel/tyre combo in it's boot.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2020, 18:31   #6
Synchromesh
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Q8 over tightened all four wheels on my 75. I couldn't slacken them at home applying reasonable to high torque so I took it back. The manager told the fitter to slacken them with the air wrench then tighten with a torque wrench. The fitter tried but came back and told the manager he couldn't shift them without risking damage. The manager told him to do whatever was necessary to shift them. He applied massive torque with the air wrench and the ends of all four McGard bolts shattered leaving the bolt tightly in place. The manager ordered a special tool to remove them and bought me a new set of McGard bolts. Over torquing ordinary wheel bolts with an air wrench puts small burrs on the edges of each flat on the bolt head. This results in a hex socket jamming onto the bolt each time they are tightened so slight anti clockwise rotation is required to release the socket.

Synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2020, 18:43   #7
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

This is the reason I use a local outfit, yes you will often pay a bit more but you rarely have problems. The place I use is run by father and son. I popped in with a puncture last week, I took the wheel in and I chatted to the father while the son did the repair. I got my wallet out to pay and was told ''don't be silly, it was only a puncture''

The son even put the wheel back in the boot of my car.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2020, 19:19   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hi Russ,

Fast-fit chains are best avoided. As It runs and SCP440 have said, seek an independent family run business who won't prevent you being present to watch what they're doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russp View Post
Is this the front or the rear Russ? Bear in mind that the rear lifting points are highly susceptible to corrosion and therefore weakness. Many owners (including myself) have had to have repairs here. The front don't seem to be affected.

Regarding the subsequent posts criticising over tightened wheel bolts, there are two things that can be done to stop this ever happening again.
  1. Smear the threads lightly with Copper Ease (don't worry, it won't compromise safety. I am the living proof!)
  2. When you return home following a visit to a tyre fitter, loosen the bolts and set them correctly using your torque wrench.
If you do this, whether you have a puncture at the roadside in the pouring rain or have to visit a tyre fitter again, your bolts will be released easily and remain undamaged.

Simon
Old 29th October 2020, 19:47   #9
Russp
Loves to post

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Russ,

Fast-fit chains are best avoided. As It runs and SCP440 have said, seek an independent family run business who won't prevent you being present to watch what they're doing.

Is this the front or the rear Russ? Bear in mind that the rear lifting points are highly susceptible to corrosion and therefore weakness. Many owners (including myself) have had to have repairs here. The front don't seem to be affected.

Regarding the subsequent posts criticising over tightened wheel bolts, there are two things that can be done to stop this ever happening again.
  1. Smear the threads lightly with Copper Ease (don't worry, it won't compromise safety. I am the living proof!)
  2. When you return home following a visit to a tyre fitter, loosen the bolts and set them correctly using your torque wrench.
If you do this, whether you have a puncture at the roadside in the pouring rain or have to visit a tyre fitter again, your bolts will be released easily and remain undamaged.

Simon
Its the rear, yes the sill may have had a bit or corrosion inside but the hole is about two inches from it and you can see where its been pierced and the metal is shiny.
If they had but even a bit of wood over the jacking pad hole and jacked it there this would not have happened
Russp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2020, 20:09   #10
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

I go to a a local family run business for my tyres/balancing. Run by two sisters with one brother helping out when busy. When they have fitted the wheels back on they use a torque bar, set to the correct setting, to tighten them up. They then tell you to come back after 50 miles so that they can check to torque settings.

If you go early in the morning, they open at 07.00, you get a cup of tea. And if you are really lucky you can have a bacon sarnie. But that’s only happened once for me.

232750. Be patient Banana, we will soon be back together and enjoying the shows again.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote