Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th October 2020, 16:10   #21
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourer View Post
Hi again, Mike.
Those are the instructions given to me by the expert at Car Mechanics magazine to code our Mk8 Fiesta.
They didn't work on our car, but as you know, the instructions you gave me did work.
They are obviously different for each model.
But, where on earth do you obtain this knowledge?
Are they trade only secrets, or do you have to subscribe to Autodata or similar?
Thanks again for your help.
Hi Tourer,

The above instructions are apparently for all Ford vehicles but as we both discovered, they certainly don't do the MK8 Fiesta as they have a different procedure.

I haven't tried it on a Mondeo but it should work.
Of course there's always a chance that the procedure for your Fiesta may work on the Mondeo too!!

I've been in the motor trade for almost 48yrs so information just gets passed around

You're very welcome & I am glad it helped you.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2020, 23:04   #22
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh007 View Post
Ridiculous I know that you have to 'tell' a vehicle that it has a new AGM/EFB battery fitted but there it is!
You would think that it would be intelligent enough to recognise a new battery & reset itself.

Here is the manual reset procedure - no scan tool needed apparently:

1. Turn on ignition (not engine)

2. Ensure headlights are set to on (by switch)

3. flash the high beam five times

4. press the brake pedal 3 times

5. wait for the battery light to flash on the dash.

6. Turn off ignition then start engine.

You cannot do any harm by doing the above but if it doesn't work for any reason, aftermarket scan tools will do this but I'm not sure about the lower end ones.
I use a Snap On Modis Ultra & it can carry out the reset function.
Do the okey cokey and turnaround...

Seriously, I thought having to code the lightswitch to the car was bad enough, but the ******n battery? Jesus.

I hated driving a stop start car when I did, absolutely awful requiring the take of reactions of a drag racer (anticipate the green/gap/opportunity 1 second before it actually transpires. You know when there's one in front of you at the traffic lights. And for crissakes if you're in a traffic light queue and there's more than one of the idiots with it still enabled .......
I'm pretty sure stop start cars are costing billions in increased gridlock. [/rantover]

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2020, 23:30   #23
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

It's a money making con.----Batteries don't need a higher charge rate as they get older.

Cars are getting more reliable mechanically now.--The dealers are now messing about with the electrical system as a way to make up the money they are losing on mechanical repairs.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2020, 10:13   #24
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Do the okey cokey and turnaround...

Seriously, I thought having to code the lightswitch to the car was bad enough, but the ******n battery? Jesus.

I hated driving a stop start car when I did, absolutely awful requiring the take of reactions of a drag racer (anticipate the green/gap/opportunity 1 second before it actually transpires. You know when there's one in front of you at the traffic lights. And for crissakes if you're in a traffic light queue and there's more than one of the idiots with it still enabled .......
I'm pretty sure stop start cars are costing billions in increased gridlock. [/rantover]
I had a chuckle when I first read this procedure too

I think the stop/start is a dire system & I would never choose to own a car with it fitted.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2020, 18:22   #25
c-j2
Regular poster

MG ZT-T Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-j2 View Post
Many thanks for posting that - much appreciated.
I will try when I am back home.
Quick update to confirm that the posted sequence does indeed seem to work for my Mondeo (mk4.5) - well the battery flashed 3 times therefore I presume it worked!
I used the process a few times both on a newish battery and a replacement brand new one.

Therefore thanks for sharing.

Ps. I am still unclear as to whether the step is actually necessary on this car as my trusted back street garage who looked into it for me (using Autodata or something similar), and 2 different Ford Dealerships (small and large) both advised that nothing needed resetting. It could be that leaving the battery disconnected for 24hours achieves similar - who knows!
However for peace of mind it was good to follow a proper sequence.

Last edited by c-j2; 5th January 2021 at 16:04.. Reason: spelling!
c-j2 is offline   Reply With Quote