Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th February 2020, 19:03   #261
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I was speaking to a mate at the weekend, he was offered a Jaguar E pace for an extended test drive. He had it for a week and after a few days his wife was showing an interest so as she had to go to a conference on the South coast he thought it would give it a good test in the real world. He fully charged it and he gave her instructions on how to charge it once she was there as it would not have the range to get back.

She got half way there and got caught in traffic and got to her conference with practically no range left. No working charge points at the site so the first thing she had to do when she got out was to find a charging point. The only one available was being used and there was no sign of the car owner. She hung around for a couple of hours and in the end starting heading home stopping at the sites where charging was available, she got hooked up with no range left and sat there for over an hour putting enough charge in to get home. She headed home but got caught in traffic again on the M25 and it ran out of charge. The RAC were called and it was brought back on a low loader. She got home 8 hours late and said there was no way she was going to ever drive an electric car again.

There must be a ratio of charging points to cars but even with the few electric cars we have on the roads at the moment there seems to be a problem and what happens when we get power cuts or a storm paralysing power supplies in the future? How about the rush of cars to the seaside on a bank holiday? I can see it now hundreds of cars all queuing for a few available charging points.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2020, 19:49   #262
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Like I have said all along, it’s about stuffing you for your money. If we stand for that taking place, we are the ones that want stuffing up a ragmans trumpet, backwards.
Old 10th February 2020, 20:02   #263
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
I was speaking to a mate at the weekend, he was offered a Jaguar E pace for an extended test drive. He had it for a week and after a few days his wife was showing an interest so as she had to go to a conference on the South coast he thought it would give it a good test in the real world. He fully charged it and he gave her instructions on how to charge it once she was there as it would not have the range to get back.

She got half way there and got caught in traffic and got to her conference with practically no range left. No working charge points at the site so the first thing she had to do when she got out was to find a charging point. The only one available was being used and there was no sign of the car owner. She hung around for a couple of hours and in the end starting heading home stopping at the sites where charging was available, she got hooked up with no range left and sat there for over an hour putting enough charge in to get home. She headed home but got caught in traffic again on the M25 and it ran out of charge. The RAC were called and it was brought back on a low loader. She got home 8 hours late and said there was no way she was going to ever drive an electric car again.

There must be a ratio of charging points to cars but even with the few electric cars we have on the roads at the moment there seems to be a problem and what happens when we get power cuts or a storm paralysing power supplies in the future? How about the rush of cars to the seaside on a bank holiday? I can see it now hundreds of cars all queuing for a few available charging points.
Anyone who believes the stated mileage available on an electric car is living in cuckoo land. The latest I have heard is the Jaguar E Pace does 270 miles between charges. Well , I would like jaguar to lend me one for the weekend, and I will tell you the real mileage. I have never heard such b#@*s*-t in all my life. People are being conned like they were with VW emissions. Would like to see how good they are when the weather is very cold, and traffic gets snarled up. That will be a laugh.
Old 10th February 2020, 20:08   #264
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Why are people being conned?? The expected range is the expected range, exactly the same as the miles to empty calculation on a petrol or diesel car. It’s not set in stone but a guide. Things will vary but this is the same with petrol or diesels. If my 75 said I had 42 miles to empty I wouldn’t take that as I could drive for 42 miles before it stopped....

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle

Last edited by sworks; 10th February 2020 at 20:11..
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2020, 06:48   #265
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Anyone who believes the stated mileage available on an electric car is living in cuckoo land. The latest I have heard is the Jaguar E Pace does 270 miles between charges. Well , I would like jaguar to lend me one for the weekend, and I will tell you the real mileage. I have never heard such b#@*s*-t in all my life. People are being conned like they were with VW emissions. Would like to see how good they are when the weather is very cold, and traffic gets snarled up. That will be a laugh.
This may give you an idea of real world range......

Old 11th February 2020, 08:28   #266
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

Because the Jag my mates wife was using was caught in traffic this range was less. She only managed 140 miles before the car was telling her to recharge.

Personally I think they would be better telling us the truth about the range of these very expensive cars, exaggerating the range is not doing them any favours.

Also if you use your electric car mainly for short journeys so you only top it up at weekends what happens if you suddenly need to do a long journey?

Hopefully things change with the hole process before we all have to start using them or our lives are going to change a lot.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2020, 11:25   #267
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
Because the Jag my mates wife was using was caught in traffic this range was less. She only managed 140 miles before the car was telling her to recharge.

Personally I think they would be better telling us the truth about the range of these very expensive cars, exaggerating the range is not doing them any favours.

Also if you use your electric car mainly for short journeys so you only top it up at weekends what happens if you suddenly need to do a long journey?

Hopefully things change with the hole process before we all have to start using them or our lives are going to change a lot.

I think they want the Hoi Polloi to use public transport There's a section in the environmental bill that says "Our objective is not to have a lot of zero-emission vehicles on the road, but to have zero-emission mobility." i.e. Trains/Buses.

The UK's OLEV/Plug-in grant ends at the end of this month and a new Plug-in grant is expected to be announced in the March budget, It will be interesting to see what they do with fuel duty. Our new environmental bill for the decarbonization & electrification calls for quicker uptake of electric vehicles.

Here's a paragraph from 'Transport & environment' article since Brexit about it.

"The Department for Transport is developing a comprehensive decarbonisation plan that will draw strongly on the government election promise for Improving rail and bus connections and more funding for local transport and cycling have all been promised. It has already announced its intention to strengthen and bring forward plans to phase out cars and vans with engines by 2035 at the latest. Strikingly the ban on vehicles with engines will apply to both “self-charging” and “plug-in” hybrid cars - only zero-emission tailpipe vehicles will be allowed. The 2035 target will require the UK to roll out electric cars substantially quicker than the rest of Europe. By 2030 the UK would need to be selling more than two-thirds zero-emission cars and vans - double the level estimated for the EU as a whole. In doing this the government hopes to make the UK a centre for manufacturing (and recycling) of EVs and batteries. The Department for Transport is considering a zero-emission vehicle mandate to replace the EU’s car CO2 regulations to ensure manufacturers deliver a rapid increase in sales and will be developing detailed proposals this year."

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2020, 12:54   #268
Roderick
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Connoissuer SE

Last year, my sister who runs a farm in Oxfordshire attempted to leave via the farm entrance (metalled entrance) which is always in constant use with a variety of farm and other vehicles.
She found a Tesla parked blocking the entrance. She asked the driver to move it please for the above reasons.
"I can't, I've no power left. Iv'e called for the Tesla recovery team to come." (!)
Good grief. Well can't you get it to one side?
"No because of the electric brakes! I was on my way to J8 M40 services where there are Tesla charging points".
Fortunately a Tesla recovery van arrived and was able to do something for him to move (who also had a wife and 2 kids in the car) and my sister was able to carry on.
An ALL electric vehicle doesn't like a very good idea practically speaking unless it's a milk float (remember them?).
Old 11th February 2020, 13:07   #269
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Highly personal, but that’s scary. My habit is to consider ¼ tank as empty and fill as soon as I can. The ‘reserve’ margin on the electric car is unclear and can be influenced by other factors such as daylight/nightime and heating/aircon/passengers on board etc. Prolonged windy conditions would also be a factor.

Each of the cars performed below estimates. By the way, what charge for a charge? And how far apart are they? Then there is the cost of acquisition and no mention of servicing costs. Given the subtracted cost of the combustion engine, and the cost of batteries, are the electric motors really that expensive to manufacture? In the clip they only knew where the next charging point was if they had the satnav on and route-focused! The scope for rip off here is alarming.

Even if I get to 2035 there will have to be huge improvements before I jump. But then I’ll be over 90 so probably academic.
Old 11th February 2020, 13:52   #270
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Speak of the devil! Hot off the press. https://airqualitynews.com/2020/02/1...d-cycle-links/

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote