Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd January 2024, 18:18   #1
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts
Default RAC renewal.Is it time for a change?

My RAC membership is up for renewal.The letter states their prices have increased slightly.Their definition of 'slightly' differs from mine though,up from £175 to £225 a whopping £50 increase.I've been a member since 1988 and had good service from them on the rare occasions I've needed them.They certainly give me peace of mind when out in my three Rovers.

It's not just the large increase I'm not particularly happy with.I had need to call on their services three times over the last two years but prior to that I went several years without bothering them.Firstly when you call the breakdown number now you don't speak to anyoneand are asked via a menu to report the fault online.I don't like this and kept scrolling until I was able to actually speak to someone,I'm used to being able to speak to an operator,and a bit 'old school'.The last two times I've called them they have wanted to put off coming out to me until the following day.This was fine in one case as the car was on my drive,however in the other I was stranded on my mother's drive 15 miles from home with a split radiator hose on my 45.After insisting they did attend,amazingly they were there in about 40 minutes despite supposedly being overstretched.Luckily the crew were able to carry out a temp repair to get me home.I have no quarrel with the van crew who are always pleasant competent and friendly.

I recognise that £225 to cover my 3 cars is not that much and that a private company would
probably would likely charge more for one tow off a motorway.I'm just a little disappointed
the way the way the way the company appears to be going compared to the excellent service I have received from them in the past.

Last edited by VVC-Geeza; 2nd January 2024 at 18:30..
VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2024, 18:37   #2
TomTheTyke
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur, MG TF 80th Anniversary

Can't comment on the quality of service, but my view was both they and AA are now owned by hedge funds or whatever, driving profits over actually helping motorists.

Anyway...

I also had a big increase in renewal quote so priced up with (I think) Gem, who advertise in the MGOC magazine.

Phoned RAC on the off-chance they'd beat it, and they did. The lady in the call centre went about it in a convoluted way, some of it monthly payments, then she gave me so many months 'free,' but in the end the cost per month of cover WAS cheaper than Gem and LOADS cheaper than the initial RAC renewal quote.

So although it's a con and you shouldn't have to do it, 20 minutes or so on the phone saved me a lot.
TomTheTyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2024, 19:26   #3
Jeff Turbo
Loves to post

MGZT cdti

Been there many times with the RAC . I just give them a ring and get it reduced.
I pay £200 for 15 months service including overseas when I tour France and the rest of Europe twice a year. That includes a replacement car if they can't fix and they return it and give me a courtesy car.
2003 Green MGZT 260 Project
2004 Monogram Poseidon MGZT cdti
2004 Pearl Black MGZT 260
Jeff Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2024, 19:27   #4
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTheTyke View Post
Can't comment on the quality of service, but my view was both they and AA are now owned by hedge funds or whatever, driving profits over actually helping motorists.

Anyway...

I also had a big increase in renewal quote so priced up with (I think) Gem, who advertise in the MGOC magazine.

Phoned RAC on the off-chance they'd beat it, and they did. The lady in the call centre went about it in a convoluted way, some of it monthly payments, then she gave me so many months 'free,' but in the end the cost per month of cover WAS cheaper than Gem and LOADS cheaper than the initial RAC renewal quote.

So although it's a con and you shouldn't have to do it, 20 minutes or so on the phone saved me a lot.
Thanks for that.It wouldn'y be the first time I have rang them to question the increase and usually come away with a bit better deal but this is by far their largest hike in price.As mentioned though my issues are not just about price this time.

Old 2nd January 2024, 20:50   #5
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

I was with AutoAid for a number of years. I had to call them out twice and received good service. They covered the driver (and spouse/partner) no the car, so covered me/us for all cars and motorbike. They did charge a higher premium for cars over (I think) 15 years, which I accepted, as it was only about £76 a year, all-in. The last time I came to renew (last year) they had added another clause where there was a £25 excess for each call-out on an older vehicle.

I switched to Start Rescue, who charged £78 just for me, but in any vehicle. I could have covered the other half for an additional premium, but as she only drives one car and rarely outside a 5-mile radius, I figured I'd take the risk on that one and tow her home myself if she broke down.

Fortunately, I haven't needed their services yet.

Looking at their website, it seems the personal cover has gone up to £90 a year. They also don't provide European cover for vehicles over ten years old.

Edit: You can also get 15% cashback through Topcashback

Last edited by daveo138; 2nd January 2024 at 20:52.. Reason: Additional info
daveo138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2024, 21:08   #6
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

I remember last year's increase wasn't a small one but certainly not on the scale of this year's,I'll probably give them a call to see if there is any movement.They are offering me an extra 2 months membership free as a loyalty reward but to me that still does not justify an increase of nearly 25%.I would have thought that my 35 years of membership while not causing them too many problems would be taken into consideration but it seems not.

Old 2nd January 2024, 22:02   #7
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

I went this year with Start Rescue, their 2* cover at £76 I thought reasonable. They offer a range of packages which includes Personal Cover whereby the policyholder is covered in any car. As I drive any one of 3 cars I plan to get a quote on renewal.
Maybe worth a look for you if you drive multiple cars.
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2024, 07:00   #8
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

2023 the AA wanted £425 off of me. I went on Gocompare.com and got a quote of £100 from the RAC. I then phoned the AA who then checked the Gocompare.com website and I got my cover for £100 from them.

They then tried to take £200 from my account but I phoned them and complained, it took them 3 days to reimburse me.

It can pay to complain.

233,625. That’s meet no.4 done.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2024, 12:27   #9
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
2023 the AA wanted £425 off of me. I went on Gocompare.com and got a quote of £100 from the RAC. I then phoned the AA who then checked the Gocompare.com website and I got my cover for £100 from them.

They then tried to take £200 from my account but I phoned them and complained, it took them 3 days to reimburse me.

It can pay to complain.
I remember your post at the time Bob.

Where on earth did they get £425 from? Were you with the AA in 2022 and if so what did you pay that year?

Old 3rd January 2024, 12:42   #10
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
My RAC membership is up for renewal. The letter states their prices have increased slightly. Their definition of 'slightly' differs from mine though, up from £175 to £225 a whopping £50 increase. I've been a member since 1988 and had good service from them on the rare occasions I've needed them. They certainly give me peace of mind when out in my three Rovers.
Only a 28.5% increase. Oh, by the way, you no longer become a "RAC member" since they sold out their motoring services many moons ago. I was a member and often popped into the Pall Mall RAC building. I could even attend AGM's and such though at that young age I never did.
Quote:
It's not just the large increase I'm not particularly happy with. I had need to call on their services three times over the last two years but prior to that I went several years without bothering them.
I finished my membership when they were offering £25 refund if "You didn't call them out in the last twelve months". Never did get £25 back as it was for "New business only". I sent back my 21 year old members card to the top bod and complained bitterly about the discrimination. Never have contemplated using the "new owners" services since. Broken down four times since @ £100 average over the next 25+ years so I'm a shed load of money in surplus.
Kev
Quote:
Firstly when you call the breakdown number now you don't speak to anyone and are asked via a menu to report the fault online. I don't like this and kept scrolling until I was able to actually speak to someone, I'm used to being able to speak to an operator, and a bit 'old school'. The last two times I've called they have wanted to put off coming out to me until the following day. This was fine in one case as the car was on my drive, however in the other I was stranded on my mother's drive 15 miles from home with a split radiator hose on my 45. insisting they did attend, amazingly they were there in about 40 minutes despite supposedly being overstretched. Luckily the crew were able to carry out a temp repair to get me home. I have no quarrel with the van crew who are always pleasant competent and friendly.

I recognise that £225 to cover my 3 cars is not that much and that a private company would probably likely charge more for one tow off a motorway. I'm just a little disappointed the way the company appears to be going compared to the excellent service I have received from them in the past.

Last edited by torque2me; 3rd January 2024 at 12:44.. Reason: spelling
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote