Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > The Valeting Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th July 2016, 09:03   #1
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Default Steering wheel clean up?

Any of you guys able to point me in the direction of a solution for this?

Happened when i used uphoulstery cleaner on it. The colour just seemed to dissolve off the leather.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2016, 11:10   #2
STUBIE
This is my second home

Back in a Rover

I am just going to post up a refurbishment of a Smokestone and Dark Walnut wheel to Sandstone.

Give me 30 mins
STUBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2016, 17:40   #3
KevF6
Loves to post

Rover 75

Basically the leather (which has a lacquer on it) wears thinner and thinner until then eventually the colour pigment then wears. In your case cleaning it with the wrong product has just removed more pigment. Pigment (when talking in leather terms) is just a posh word for leather paint (not dye).

What I would do is clean it with a leather cleaner ideally, if not then something neutral. Then sterilise it all with pure alcohol (isopropyl), its cheap off ebay.

Then I would apply a solvent lacquer for leather (it's not expensive), this is to create a strong bond/barrier as the surface can be a bit iffy on the steering wheel. Then I would apply the pigment carefully using a sponge or sprayer. Maybe 2 coats. When fully dry apply either the lacquer used earlier (matt, but can give a sheen) or use another water based mat lacquer to give that true matt look.

I did mine a few weeks ago and it is rock solid and should last absolutely ages, I took a sample from the seat to get the same shade.

Apologies for not taking the exact same angle on the pics, but you can see clearly anyhow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (129.9 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3275.jpg (125.3 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3276.jpg (130.3 KB, 80 views)

Done:
New leather & walnut steering wheel, headlight restore, new badges to rear & engine, walnut facia trims, full size spare wheel, timing belts, Plenum spy hole, DD head unit.

• This vehicle was the 67,855th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
• This vehicle was the 2,457th 75 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,671
KevF6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2016, 18:19   #4
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevF6 View Post
Basically the leather (which has a lacquer on it) wears thinner and thinner until then eventually the colour pigment then wears. In your case cleaning it with the wrong product has just removed more pigment. Pigment (when talking in leather terms) is just a posh word for leather paint (not dye).

What I would do is clean it with a leather cleaner ideally, if not then something neutral. Then sterilise it all with pure alcohol (isopropyl), its cheap off ebay.

Then I would apply a solvent lacquer for leather (it's not expensive), this is to create a strong bond/barrier as the surface can be a bit iffy on the steering wheel. Then I would apply the pigment carefully using a sponge or sprayer. Maybe 2 coats. When fully dry apply either the lacquer used earlier (matt, but can give a sheen) or use another water based mat lacquer to give that true matt look.

I did mine a few weeks ago and it is rock solid and should last absolutely ages, I took a sample from the seat to get the same shade.

Apologies for not taking the exact same angle on the pics, but you can see clearly anyhow.
That looks brand new. Where did you get the laquers and pigments from? And did you apply it with some kind of sprayer as it looks perfect.
Old 20th August 2016, 18:48   #5
KevF6
Loves to post

Rover 75

Hi David

I have to confess I do leather restoration as part of my cleaning business - but I never do cars as I hate it. But it is definitely doable if your good with your hands/eye.

I applied using a micro roller sponge and a small paint brush in the tight areas.

http://www.buffaloleather.co.uk/ is where I get my products and they do the colour matching too.

I can be more precise with the products - if it doesn't upset Stubie, as that is the last thing I want to do.

Done:
New leather & walnut steering wheel, headlight restore, new badges to rear & engine, walnut facia trims, full size spare wheel, timing belts, Plenum spy hole, DD head unit.

• This vehicle was the 67,855th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
Old 20th August 2016, 19:53   #6
KWIL
Precise

Rover 75 Tourer 2.5KV6 Connoisseur SE

What about the seat back side bolster which takes all the wear of getting in and out?
KWIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2016, 20:18   #7
KevF6
Loves to post

Rover 75

Depends on how bad it is. Mine is already in perfect condition as I don't have MG, but they can all be done in almost exactly the same way - even if they look trashed. It's only when you start getting rips etc then it becomes a challenge.

Done:

Old 21st August 2016, 11:24   #8
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevF6 View Post
Depends on how bad it is. Mine is already in perfect condition as I don't have MG, but they can all be done in almost exactly the same way - even if they look trashed. It's only when you start getting rips etc then it becomes a challenge.
Unfortunately my seats are black so nowhere to take a sample from for matching purposes. Is there such a thing as getting a code number for the pigment like there is for paint?
Old 21st August 2016, 11:52   #9
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lawrence View Post
Unfortunately my seats are black so nowhere to take a sample from for matching purposes. Is there such a thing as getting a code number for the pigment like there is for paint?
how about the steering column cover of one of the plastic shrouds at your feet?

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2016, 11:55   #10
KevF6
Loves to post

Rover 75

Hi David

It can be tricky getting a sample. You usually need to go to the depths of the earth to get it but I have never failed yet. On my seats I had to extend the seat backwards in a laying position then delve inbetween the seat cushion and back cushion and cut a spare bit off that was hanging there. I used a pair of knapping shears as they are very strong and sharp. Failing that a very sharp and strong pair of scissors or a stanley knife should do it. But you have to be careful and the piece needs to be big enough to get the spectrum analyser on it to match it 100%.

Failing that you could ask Stubie if has any colours available. I read somewhere that he had some but not all? I am new to this forum so have no idea and I haven't spoken to him as yet.

I forgot to mention. If your steering wheel is a bit lumpy due to pigment lift, then a simple light rub down with suitable fine sandpaper is required to smooth it out. Gently, gently is the key as you want to remove the least amount of colour/grain effect as possible.

Done: