Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 3rd June 2020, 09:47   #1
Kernowchristoff
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur Se hi line Mk 1 115 CDT

Default Coolant issue

Morning People

Took my 75 CDT for a routine coolant change today. suspected nothing. They called me after an hour to inform me there is very little water in the car.

I am shocked no visual sign that i was loosing any. ie message centre nothing nothing on the floor. He said when i started it the rad fan kicked in at once i said no that is the air con fan as i had the whole thing rebuilt last year.

i am worried now anybody come across this before the car has done 216,00.

hoping its just a hose.

Keep safe

Chris
Kernowchristoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2020, 10:17   #2
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Never seen a diesel but pretty sure it has the same cooling system as the others - radiator fan / AC fan is the same thing.

On any other engine the lack of water could be disastrous but the diesels are said to be cooler running. Now just a matter of finding the leak ...

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2020, 11:49   #3
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

I have had a small leak on my diesel, I could never find it but I could smell it, it turned out the be leaking by the lower bolt fitting on the thermostat housing, the bolt was tight and so the thermostat had to come off, I fitted a new thermostat housing then ran the car up to temperature and the radiator started leaking between the fins .. it never rains does it?
There was a small tell tale dark patch on the rad for a while but I could never see it leak.
New rad came this morning but its raining so I will wait until tomorrow or whenever, luckily I already had the bumper off and the headlights out to do some work on them.

Currently not in love with my ZT!
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2020, 17:20   #4
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

my only leak issue with the diesel was the rail pipe that goes into the thermostat housing. Has an O ring, pig of a job and better to do the water pump at the same time as it gets in the way of the pipe repair.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2020, 18:44   #5
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Connoisseur SE 1.8 Auto Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vossy View Post
There was a small tell tale dark patch on the rad for a while but I could never see it leak.
New rad came this morning but its raining so I will wait until tomorrow or whenever, luckily I already had the bumper off and the headlights out to do some work on them.

Currently not in love with my ZT!

I had similar with my rad, except the only evidence was wisps of steam on damp/humid days.

Make sure you've got a soldering iron handy when you go take the front off to cut the fan shroud around the aircon pipes, and to cut the power steering /oil cooler (can't remember which it was) fixing nut off.
Whoever thought sticking a brass nut on a steel bolt right where it gets covered in salt, with no room to get a spanner of any sort on the nut should be shot!
mbonwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2020, 11:42   #6
Kernowchristoff
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer Connoisseur Se hi line Mk 1 115 CDT

Default coolant update

Well guys i took her out the garage filled the tank to the markers. Left over night.

Very little water loss. However i did see some water on the lip of the expansion tank. I am now thinking the cap is shot.

If it is thats a cheap fix i know some people have had a issue with them.
Kernowchristoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2020, 11:44   #7
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts
Default Coolant Level Header Tank

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernowchristoff View Post
Morning People

Took my 75 CDT for a routine coolant change today. suspected nothing. They called me after an hour to inform me there is very little water in the car.

I am shocked no visual sign that i was loosing any. ie message centre nothing nothing on the floor. He said when i started it the rad fan kicked in at once i said no that is the air con fan as i had the whole thing rebuilt last year.

hoping its just a hose.

Keep safe

Chris
HI Chris
When they say very little water what do they mean by that, how many litres have they drained off, did they take out the engine drain plug or just removed the bottom hose?

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 4th June 2020 at 11:54.. Reason: Photo Editing
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2020, 12:27   #8
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernowchristoff View Post
Morning People

hoping its just a hose.

Keep safe

Chris
Check the top hose connection from the radiator where it enters the cylinder head.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2020, 12:31   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
Check the top hose connection from the radiator where it enters the cylinder head.
And also the upper coolant rail pipe where it enters the thermostat housing........guess what I'm replacing on the old man's car soon
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2020, 14:16   #10
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

another thought, that caught me out. Was the cap tightened fully? I felt I was overtightening the cap, so put it on hand tight, and then a little further (still by hand). It was only 4 days later I could smell that fearful smell of hot coolant, walking past the car. The level had dropped enough to empty the expansion tank over the four days! (that would be roughly 80 miles). No obvious signs of leakage either.

Refilled, bled to be sure and tightened until it reached the stop (still by hand but with more effort). All was good after. I still replaced the cap, even though it was only about 2 years old anyway.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote