Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 29th May 2020, 22:09   #11
wullie480
This is my second home

Thanked 1,022 Times in 786 Posts

I’d speak to her first and see how it goes best to try and sort it out between yous.
I had similar to Brian several years back where I got reported to the council several times For working on cars in the street (friend who works at council told me) all work was done on the runway unless I was just quickly checking something over but as it wasn’t a business nothing could be done, however said neighbour then reported me for pouring oil down the drain as he was getting nowhere with the council so out they came to test the drains and ask me what I did with my old engine oil. So I showed them the 25l drums that I used to store it before taking it to be disposed of. Test of drain were clear no further action.
Fast forward a few years and a knock at the door said neighbours suspension had collapsed as he drove into his drive blocking part of the street and his neighbours drive, he asked if I could come fix it for him to which my rely was nope can’t be seen to be working on cars in the street sorry and closed the door the look on his face was priceless 😂 think it sat like that for a couple of days before being dragged away. So don’t worry about it and Speak to your neighbour and sort something out.
Old 30th May 2020, 06:28   #12
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

The tone of her letter was very polite. When a person makes a noise they don't realise how many other people can hear it, also, as they are making the noise they are not upset by it but those having to hear it, can be.

Again I suggest you apologise and try to discuss how you can work on your cars without upsetting her. May be a bottle of wine or a bunch of flowers would help show her you do not mean to cause offence. Perhaps work only weekdays not weekends, only between the hours of X and Y. I'd suggest not before or after 9am or 9pm normally but in this case I would suggest much less then a 12 hour window.

Good advice already given to keep a diary of dates and times you work on the car.

I urge you to consider the letter she sent and the a/effect this must be having on her.
Of course, I am assuming she is a level headed your lady and her wording in the letter suggests she is and not someone that moans for the sake of it. If she is just a moaner
I don't know what to suggest. I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to ask other neighbours.

good luck

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2020, 10:10   #13
Briodyjl01
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer, Rover 75 Saloon

Smile

The thing with weekend it’s the only time I can do it. I work half 7 till about 5 most mon to Friday. I don’t like making a noise in an evening as next door have 2 little kids and they don’t say anything. Don’t make a noise due to them on a week day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
The tone of her letter was very polite. When a person makes a noise they don't realise how many other people can hear it, also, as they are making the noise they are not upset by it but those having to hear it, can be.

Again I suggest you apologise and try to discuss how you can work on your cars without upsetting her. May be a bottle of wine or a bunch of flowers would help show her you do not mean to cause offence. Perhaps work only weekdays not weekends, only between the hours of X and Y. I'd suggest not before or after 9am or 9pm normally but in this case I would suggest much less then a 12 hour window.

Good advice already given to keep a diary of dates and times you work on the car.

I urge you to consider the letter she sent and the a/effect this must be having on her.
Of course, I am assuming she is a level headed your lady and her wording in the letter suggests she is and not someone that moans for the sake of it. If she is just a moaner
I don't know what to suggest. I'm not sure if it would be a good idea to ask other neighbours.

good luck

macafee2
Old 30th May 2020, 10:33   #14
SCP440
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T 260

I am always fixing cars on my drive and in my garage visible from the road. Some are mine and some are friends or members of the car club.

I had a visit from a council worker saying he had reports I was working from home as a garage ect ect . He asked me if it was my car I was working on and explained it was from the car club and the owner would be back later to collect it. He said that was fine and just don't leave cars out on the road.

No idea if I was reported or he was just being observant but he seemed quite chilled about it and it felt like he was just ticking a box, never seen him again.

On a different note a friend who actually does run a small workshop for profit had a visit and they were more worried about his radio licence ( yes he must have one as other people can hear it) than anything else. He didn't even have to show his insurance certificate or where he disposes of his waste oil.
SCP440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2020, 13:20   #15
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

These things are usually a matter of the degree of any perceived disturbance. What is disturbing to one might be acceptable to another. It’s better to try to accommodate neighbours if you can, but you already know that.

Her letter was a model of gentle request and appeasement and you might, if matters should escalate in the future, find it produced in her defence!

You both have to live where you are and friends are much better than curtain twitchers with malign intent. I wonder if her other half feels the same way.

Maybe a decibel meter reading would give you an understanding of just how loud, or otherwise, any noise really is. Then you can agree or disagree with conviction rather than guessing or curtailing your activities unnecessarily.

The complaint just might be about what you are doing rather than how loud it is. A good thing to weed out any false negatives!
Old 30th May 2020, 13:41   #16
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

As already said, have a chat to her but you probably won't get anywhere as it sounds to me like she seeks the tranquility of the countryside, probably without the smell!
if that is the case, just ignore & carry on as were. You can't please everybody & you never will.
As long as the noise isn't excessive (not what your neighbour deems excessive) & it's not causing obstruction, I can't see what she can do about it.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2020, 13:58   #17
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

I suppose the problem is that they can't really go anywhere and the noise which normally wouldn't bother them is now obsessing them.
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2020, 15:43   #18
coolguy
Coolguy

Rover 75 CDT Tourer Auto, Rover 75 2.0 Connoisseur Auto, MG ZT 2.5 Auto and MG ZT Cdti Auto (Monogra

This is a matter regulated by your local Council, not the Police as long as you are on your property and not the highway. Repairing cars on the road has always been illegal, although not highly regulated, and the only offence you might be committing on your driveway is one of noise. As a Borough Councillor of many years standing, I can advise that I have never seen a willingness of Local Authorities to be heavy handed, even where a minor breach has been in evidence, and in my area, nobody has ever been held to account.

Certainly in present circumstances, Local Authorities have far more important roles to fulfil, so I should not worry.
coolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2020, 08:46   #19
Briodyjl01
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer, Rover 75 Saloon

I have spoke to both neighbours each side and they don’t have a problem with the noise I make ect. And one of them their house wall is on my drive. But almost work I do I try to keep the car on the side my wall is. I am going to carry on because sills don’t weld them selves in quietly.

We also think she had an argument with her other half, he went out on his bike so she was sat in the sun drinking. Seen her a few times after the message and she hasn’t said anything so I’m leaving it.

The cars when work on are on my drive or in my garage, obviously welding is on the drive don’t want to do that in the garage in case of fire.
Old 31st May 2020, 11:05   #20
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briodyjl01 View Post
I have spoke to both neighbours each side and they don’t have a problem with the noise I make ect. And one of them their house wall is on my drive. But almost work I do I try to keep the car on the side my wall is. I am going to carry on because sills don’t weld them selves in quietly.

We also think she had an argument with her other half, he went out on his bike so she was sat in the sun drinking. Seen her a few times after the message and she hasn’t said anything so I’m leaving it.

The cars when work on are on my drive or in my garage, obviously welding is on the drive don’t want to do that in the garage in case of fire.
I would just carry on as you were, You have been no problem to anyone else..So it was a case of to much to drink or the wrong time of the month....

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote