Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 14th April 2020, 14:03   #1
ashy90
Avid contributor

MG ZT 160 V6

Default Leaky saloons - rear window trim clips. How to remove trim?

I have searched for this but couldn't find a guide with any photos etc.

I have a 2000 Rover 75 saloon and a 2002 MG ZT saloon.

Both have water leaking in to the boot from the rear window trim clips.

Firstly, there is no way I am having the rear glass removed on both cars to reseal in some new clips.

How is the trim removed? If some clips break then surely the trim can be re- fitted with a couple of blobs of sealant?

I've seen windscreen fitters do this to A pillar trims when clips have broken.

I've got some Creeping Crack cure as recommended by someone on here. I've got some silicone on the way to me too.

Any advice or photos would be much appreciated.
ashy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2020, 14:31   #2
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Feel under the window from inside the boot for the clips, pointy things, then seal from underneath. You can also peel the rubber from around the window to locate the clips and run a bead of sealant into and around.
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2020, 15:12   #3
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashy90 View Post
I have searhed for this but couldn't find a guide with any photos etc.

I have a 2000 Rover 75 saloon and a 2002 MG ZT saloon. Both have water leaking in to the boot from the rear window trim clips.

Firstly, there is no way I am having the rear glass removed on both cars to reseal in some new clips.

How is the trim removed? If some clips break then surely the trim can be re- fitted with a couple of blobs of sealant? I've seen windscreen fitters do this to A pillar trims when clips have broken.

I've got some Creeping Crack cure as recommended by someone on here. I've got some silicone on the way to me too.

Any advice or photos would be much appreciated.
After waiting months have just done this job last week
1. Remove the upper boot lid seal - that's the black flexible strip just below the rear screen glass
- open boot lid
- start at an end (either), raise the flap and locate the first clip. Grip the flap with both hands thumb and index finger (thumbs about 4" apart and grip as close as you can get to the steel spine of the flap), gently pull down and towards you so you can see a 1-2mm gap open between the flap and the window trim (I found resting the hands on the main boot seal gives a good purchase) and give a firm, gentle upward tug - this should disengage the serrated tags (you'll hear a rasping noise) of the clips (male tags on the flap and female on the fixed clips). Now repeat the same process until all the clips (x8 I think) disengage and the flap can be removed.
2. Lift the lower section of the rear screen trim
- start at an end, it's now apparent where the clips are (NB at the ends, where the trim starts to curve upwards to the sides of the glass you'll see a 'floating' clip-like spacer attached to the trim which prevents it being depressed/dented where it's unsupported by a clip - you don't need to disturb this).
- adopt a similar process to removing the flap, grip the trim (not as much to get hold of here) and gently pull down and towards yourself (look for a small outward movement of the trim in respect to the fixed glass screen) and then a light upwards tug should release the trim from the clip (again you should hear a rasping sound) and just repeat for each clip

I didn't break a single clip and don't forget, for disengagement all you are looking for is 2-3mm of lift.
I chose to replace all the clips with new items (a bit more of a fiddly job) and opted to position them with a polyurethane sealant rather than just rely on the foam seals and mechanical fixing to keep the water out.
I'm waiting for some more clips to arrive so I'll take some pictures when I've finish the task.
Best of luck
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2020, 15:15   #4
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

the clips are available I believe. The chrome trim levers away from the screen, you may well break some clips. Make a note of which colour clip goes where.
Below the trim are some black fittings around the bottom of the screen with some pegs in, suzublu mentions them.

I member I think carfully cut half the head of the peg so the whole fitting can be removed, they then sealed under the fitting and replaced it.

somewhere I've done a write up on removing the trim, i'll try to fnd it

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2020, 15:20   #5
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

pm me your email address I will send you something that may help but you will need to check your spam folder

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2020, 15:22   #6
Rp61973
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Classic

The rubber has dried out and fallen away at the bottom of my screen. A small length (2") has lifted and broken away below the chrome strip. The rubber beyond this is starting to curl like a dried sandwich and I suspect this will follow.

What is the best fix for this?

Thanks.
Old 15th April 2020, 07:13   #7
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rp61973 View Post
The rubber has dried out and fallen away at the bottom of my screen. A small length (2") has lifted and broken away below the chrome strip. The rubber beyond this is starting to curl like a dried sandwich and I suspect this will follow.

What is the best fix for this?

Thanks.
Are you describing the state of the trim or the secondary boot seal (flap like strip BELOW the bottom section of the trim, running the width of the boot opening). If it's the former then they are probably all going like that, mine is 16 year sold, your's could be even older; there are two finishes all black (some 75's and I think all MG's) and polished stainless steel edged both sides with a narrow black rubber seating. Replacement trims are available with Rimmers but eg mine would set me back a whopping £130!!
Old 15th April 2020, 11:24   #8
Rp61973
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTI Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
Are you describing the state of the trim or the secondary boot seal (flap like strip BELOW the bottom section of the trim, running the width of the boot opening). If it's the former then they are probably all going like that, mine is 16 year sold, your's could be even older; there are two finishes all black (some 75's and I think all MG's) and polished stainless steel edged both sides with a narrow black rubber seating. Replacement trims are available with Rimmers but eg mine would set me back a whopping £130!!
Hi, it is the outer section of rubber seal around that sits below the bright trim and runs the length of the boot as a secondary seal.
Old 15th April 2020, 11:42   #9
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

I would suggest you first try a scrapyard or better still, one of the dealers on here. 2 Diesels (near Newcastle) is presently posting, he has a number of MG/75's in various stages of breaking or Mickey Boy in Kent who often has most parts in stock.
Old 15th April 2020, 12:04   #10
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rp61973 View Post
Hi, it is the outer section of rubber seal around that sits below the bright trim and runs the length of the boot as a secondary seal.
It sounds like you're referring to the Finisher assembly-backlight lower - DCD107701PMA. It has 10 sliding clips - they all have pins except the outer pair.
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote