Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 18th February 2024, 12:57   #1
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts
Default Travel Visa Frustration

Due to me venturing over the "pond" later in the year, U.S. and Canada, I needed to get visas for both. Yesterday after over three hours, I got nowhere, with the prospect of having to go to the American Embassy to get theirs sorted.

The Canadian site kept "timing" me out at the payment stage, the U.S. one rejecting the passport.

Today, having even assessed the financial losses on booked items, I had another go. Finally after another hour, the U.S. one is done, well waiting for their approval or not. The Canadian took less than one minute for approval after payment. I can now almost relax.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2024, 13:36   #2
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

Well done Fred, your persistence pays of in the end

Cliff

No. 4 of 6
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2024, 18:54   #3
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Despite being in the UK for close to 30 years my wife hasn't sorted her British passport. Not been a problem, minor inconvenience when organising holidays as she usually requires a visa.

Last year she decided we were going to Rome, fair enough but we discovered Italian visas aren't handled by the embassy/consulate, they're done through an agency. Applications have to be in person, you have to go online and book an appointment at the nearest visa centre, there's one in Edinburgh so that shouldn't be a problem . . . . or so we thought. Finding an available appointment slot turned out to be a major challenge. I was checking multiple times a day for weeks and the holiday time was approaching. Before you say we should have applied earlier, couldn't, appointments were only released a couple of weeks in advance.

We finally nailed one, went along with all the paperwork they wanted. Into the office, paid the (non returnable) fee, they went through everything then "do you have ...... and ...... and .....?", What! There's nothing on the website about that! "That's ok, you can use the computer terminals and printer in the foyer". Internet access at rip off cost per minute and printer at rip off cost per sheet of paper. Nobody will convince me that wasn't just a means of getting more money out of us

Enjoyed Rome but the whole visa application process left a bad taste in my mouth

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2024, 18:55   #4
YHT
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

A while ago I used to go to both Canada and the US (to work). An ESTA for the US was easy to get and didnt need a visa for Canada (has that changed?)
Fortunately I am just about fully retired so can spend time with English engineering of the past i.e. R75's and David Brown Tractor. (there is a list of other things but so much gets in =the way). Enjoyed both US and Canada (only Montreal) and the folk though my French when in the more rural bits of Quebec was a bit (a LOT) hit and miss.
YHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2024, 20:08   #5
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Despite being in the UK for close to 30 years my wife hasn't sorted her British passport. Not been a problem, minor inconvenience when organising holidays as she usually requires a visa.

Last year she decided we were going to Rome, fair enough but we discovered Italian visas aren't handled by the embassy/consulate, they're done through an agency. Applications have to be in person, you have to go online and book an appointment at the nearest visa centre, there's one in Edinburgh so that shouldn't be a problem . . . . or so we thought. Finding an available appointment slot turned out to be a major challenge. I was checking multiple times a day for weeks and the holiday time was approaching. Before you say we should have applied earlier, couldn't, appointments were only released a couple of weeks in advance.

We finally nailed one, went along with all the paperwork they wanted. Into the office, paid the (non returnable) fee, they went through everything then "do you have ...... and ...... and .....?", What! There's nothing on the website about that! "That's ok, you can use the computer terminals and printer in the foyer". Internet access at rip off cost per minute and printer at rip off cost per sheet of paper. Nobody will convince me that wasn't just a means of getting more money out of us

Enjoyed Rome but the whole visa application process left a bad taste in my mouth
So, it's not just ripping off here.
Old 18th February 2024, 20:14   #6
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YHT View Post
A while ago I used to go to both Canada and the US (to work). An ESTA for the US was easy to get and didnt need a visa for Canada (has that changed?)
Fortunately I am just about fully retired so can spend time with English engineering of the past i.e. R75's and David Brown Tractor. (there is a list of other things but so much gets in =the way). Enjoyed both US and Canada (only Montreal) and the folk though my French when in the more rural bits of Quebec was a bit (a LOT) hit and miss.

Norman, when I went to Canada in 2014 we needed it then also. I only need it for visiting one location.
Old 19th February 2024, 13:48   #7
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

My Grandfather was a U.S citizen and I had a U.S visa stamped - indefinite in my old passport. It was useful whenever I had to fly into the USA at short notice doing an aeromedical repatriation or deportation. I ought to have it transferred over to my new UK passport. I would only visit North America as a tourist. We are not planning to visit anytime soon.

All the best Fred with your application and holiday plans.

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 19th February 2024 at 13:51..
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2024, 15:15   #8
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
My Grandfather was a U.S citizen and I had a U.S visa stamped - indefinite in my old passport. It was useful whenever I had to fly into the USA at short notice doing an aeromedical repatriation or deportation. I ought to have it transferred over to my new UK passport. I would only visit North America as a tourist. We are not planning to visit anytime soon.

Many thanks Phil.
Old 19th February 2024, 15:50   #9
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post

I had one in my pre-EU harmonised 96 odd page hardback UK passport, think they were termed B2 visas, valid for life. I was told (never tested with US Border Control) that presentation of the old/expired passport (containing the B2) would be accepted when presented with a newer/valid UK passport (I guess the biodata/details would have to be substantially the same in both). On-line application for a US ESTA should be straight forward, likewise the VisCan that is now required for Canada, both valid for 24 months (and a small financial consideration) I think.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2024, 17:54   #10
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
I had one in my pre-EU harmonised 96 odd page hardback UK passport, think they were termed B2 visas, valid for life. I was told (never tested with US Border Control) that presentation of the old/expired passport (containing the B2) would be accepted when presented with a newer/valid UK passport (I guess the biodata/details would have to be substantially the same in both). On-line application for a US ESTA should be straight forward, likewise the VisCan that is now required for Canada, both valid for 24 months (and a small financial consideration) I think.
Yes that both the ESTA for the U.S.A. and Canadian eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization are valid for two years, and No not straight forward or I wouldn't have felt the need to post, would I?