Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th December 2017, 13:49   #21
Ed3
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi saloon

Time to wake up Mike? My car has not reached the end of it life but rather requires more work than many can do and many are experiencing the same.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...=277079&page=2

Bendrick's post :-
Apparently so. It's pretty worrying

I had a previous Rover 75 for three years with no problem of this description ( didn't have a sunroof on that one) and had no idea that an electrical or water ingress problem could cause something as bizarre as this to happen.

Then we have the problem that in cold weather Rover 75 (and BMW) doors will not close. Many Rover 75 owners are older who may need to rush a loved one to hospital during the cold weather especially as of late we can struggle to get ambulances to even emergencies in the UK. The very obvious risk is unless we get to the bottom of "exactly why" doors suddenly will not close Rover 75 enthusiasts could find themselves trying to rush a loved one to hospital in freezing temperatures in a car where they suddenly find that cannot close the door.
Ed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 13:50   #22
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed3 View Post
Quote "...Water leaks are all fixable and don't require complex parts...."

But 'main carpets out' and soaking wet is one of the most unpleasant jobs on any car. And it is not viable to get a garage to do it. And we are not yet accurate and clear about where leaks can occur, given that so very many leaks can occur. I have at least six big leaks on an 06 plate.

So if you take the main carpet out and fix a couple of leaks and put the carpet back in the risk is that the other leaks will start the process all over again.

Not had the problem yet? Of course, not everyone has, but it is only a matter of time unless the car is kept under cover.

So the simple point is that the main knowledge base of Rover 75 enthusiast clubs and forums needs to develop a better and more accurate understanding of the problem and have real fixes ready for people to use.
All of the problem leaks have been discovered & members have documented fixes, all in the "How To" section of the forum.
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 13:50   #23
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:

But 'main carpets out' and soaking wet is one of the most unpleasant jobs on any car. And it is not viable to get a garage to do it. And we are not yet accurate and clear about where leaks can occur, given that so very many leaks can occur. I have at least six big leaks on an 06 plate.

So if you take the main carpet out and fix a couple of leaks and put the carpet back in the risk is that the other leaks will start the process all over again.

Not had the problem yet? Of course, not everyone has, but it is only a matter of time unless the car is kept under cover.

So the simple point is that the main knowledge base of Rover 75 enthusiast clubs and forums needs to develop a better and more accurate understanding of the problem and have real fixes ready for people to use.
IMO you just have got disheartened, it's understandable, wet soggy carpets are not funny. I read some place that an owner removed his interior, got in the car and asked a pal to spray water so he could see where the leaks where..

So, can I ask is yours a saloon or Tour? saloon can leak around rear lights, shark fin, can be outer trims also..as suzublu says have look in the how to.

Water can leave a trail so where do you think it's coming from?
Is it in all foot wells front back passenger etc?

Last edited by rustymotor; 20th December 2017 at 13:53..
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 13:52   #24
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Quote:

Okay Ed, in that you are so unsatisfied with your Rover, oh, and ours, what brand are you going for in the future and will you still visit this site for the social banter?
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 14:01   #25
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

My ZT is 16 years young, and it still looks like new, I'm also happy to report there are NO water leaks.

Regular maintenance is expected with all vehicles, even the newer ones. The repair bills are more frequent and more expensive on newer vehicles.

All vehicles will suffer the threat of being unusable as they become older, the newer cars more especially. This is due to 'Planned Obsolescence' cars today are designed and built with the environment in mind, plus reducing cost plays centre stage along with everyone wanting a new car every 3 years.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 14:07   #26
Ed3
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi saloon

please do not ignore the evidence. There is much on this site and elsewhere on this trend:-

I had a previous Rover 75 for three years with no problem of this description ( didn't have a sunroof on that one) and had no idea that an electrical or water ingress problem could cause something as bizarre as this to happen.

Then we have the problem that in cold weather Rover 75 (and BMW) doors will not close. Many Rover 75 owners are older who may need to rush a loved one to hospital during the cold weather especially as of late we can struggle to get ambulances to even emergencies in the UK. The very obvious risk is unless we get to the bottom of "exactly why" doors suddenly will not close Rover 75 enthusiasts could find themselves trying to rush a loved one to hospital in freezing temperatures in a car where they suddenly find that cannot close the door.
Ed3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 14:43   #27
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:

Mine is a 2004 - It has had just one water ingress problem in all of the time I have had it, the well known rear light seals. It had some water in the wheel well when I bought it, obviously it was fresh, not a long term issue and only the boot carpet had suffered - none of the well's electronics.

I researched, confirmed the point of leakage fixed it and dried it out. There have been no problems at all since. There have been a few reports of wet interior carpets, but those have been not that common.

There are other suspect areas, they are well known and easily fixed. So where your '...needs to develop a better and more accurate understanding of the problem and have real fixes ready for people to use.' comes from, I really just don't know.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 14:50   #28
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
please do not ignore the evidence. There is much on this site and elsewhere on this trend:-

I think you are massively over egging it and it is a complete nonsense. All cars have issues, I have had lots of cars and all at times presented me with issues, it is part of the nature of the beast.

Buses, lorries, cars, aircraft and even trains suffer breakdowns.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 14:59   #29
another_clean_sheet
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTI Tourer

Quote:
I have at least six big leaks on an 06 plate.
You have obviously identified where the six leaks are coming from. Perhaps you could identify the origin for the rest of the forum and how you cured them.
It will not be a benefit to me personally as I have never had any, though it could be of interest to others.
another_clean_sheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 15:36   #30
e30325itourer
Loves to post

mgztt190/bmw e30 325i tourer

Personally I have 2002 v6 2.5 tourer with 140,000 miles on it over 2 years now and can’t say a bad word about it. I think you should have done research before buying the car you did there are plenty of good cars out there that don’t have an onboard swimming pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This vehicle was the 100th ZT-T in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 1,134 Starlight Silver ZT-Ts
e30325itourer is offline   Reply With Quote