Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th May 2020, 14:13   #41
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Looking at the picture of your boot lid Simon, I'd say it had been catching on the rubber section of the bright finisher, as opposed to the skirt seal and might be a case of the hinge being set sightly low perhaps

Generally speaking the ends of the skirt seal are best left floating, as if they do catch the boot lid, the last thing you want is to pull it upwards

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2020, 15:01   #42
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Looking at the picture of your boot lid Simon, I'd say it had been catching on the rubber section of the bright finisher, as opposed to the skirt seal and might be a case of the hinge being set sightly low perhaps

Generally speaking the ends of the skirt seal are best left floating, as if they do catch the boot lid, the last thing you want is to pull it upwards

Brian
Have a look at this though Brian.

The pic shows the RH end of the new skirt seal (top) and the old skirt seal (bottom). The rubber on the old seal has curled up on itself and hardened in the sun - it's completely inflexible. This has forced the 'unanchored' corner upwards away from the glass and that's what caused the boot lid to hit it.

Yes, the lid did start to catch on the bright finisher too but that was only after it had already been rubbing on the rubber for years. I eventually tried adjusting the hinge position to stop all this but I messed it up, which is why it's out of position now (it's too low and too far forward on the RHS).
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2020, 17:28   #43
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Exclamation Problem

Update

I finished putting the skirt seal and side trims on but now there's a problem - the bottom edge and corners of the side trims won't sit flat against the glass. In places the gap is wide enough to slide a metal rule under the rubber. Here are some pics.

1. Bottom LH corner - the rule is 0.62mm thick btw

2. Bottom RH corner

3. Bottom edge - quite a gap here

4. Bottom edge again (a bit further along) - no gap at this point

5. Bottom edge without the rule - gap clearly visible here

6. Bottom edge (a bit further along) without the rule - no gap at this point

7. LH vertical - no gap here either

So now I don't know what to do. Water is getting in through the gaps and running all the way along the bottom edge under the trims. Dirt is already collecting there in too. I could try taking the side trims off again but doubt I could do it without kinking the metal spines. They're a very tight fit in the clips, all of which are brand new (a total of 56 blue, grey and black).

Any ideas folks?

I don't know if the aluminium tape system has contributed to the problem - or if the new trims were bent out of shape slightly (due to their weird curvature you can't tell if they're perfect until they're actually on the car). The aluminium tape, two coats of paint and the Araldite will have raised the bottom body clips slightly (the ones that used the holes), although sanding them down and ditching these seals will have reduced the amount of lift by a tad.

Blink is offline   Reply With Quote