Old 28th May 2020, 20:15   #11
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,037 Posts
Default In the words of..

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
As the guys above have said, get it looked at Mike, that's far worse than you described!
"Tis but a scratch"

It's rough but drying out, the upper layer has shredded along the natural creases of my skin. it's my own fault for not moisturising the skin and it's simply dried out and torn. It's clean and dressed so I'll monitor it well, the Wigan A+E is the last place I want to go right now...
Saga Lout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2020, 20:54   #12
Nobby
Aged to perfection!

Rover 75 Conn SE Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
"Tis but a scratch"

It's rough but drying out, the upper layer has shredded along the natural creases of my skin. it's my own fault for not moisturising the skin and it's simply dried out and torn. It's clean and dressed so I'll monitor it well, the Wigan A+E is the last place I want to go right now...
Mike, you don't need a&e, just a visit to your GP. Alcohol based gel hand cleaners as well as some other hand cleaners and soaps used very regularly attack the skin cells and can cause contact dermatitis so other than a moisturiser you may need steriod treatment which can be got on prescription. Its a well known problem and used to be a big problem for health workers particularly in the old days and can reoccur in future with very little use of the substances. Like the guys have said, get it checked to be sure as contact dermatitis isn't curable only controllable.

Sometimes I talk to myself, Then we both LAUGH!

Nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2020, 11:21   #13
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

How’s the hand doing Mike, did you get it looked at?

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2020, 12:21   #14
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Default No

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
How’s the hand doing Mike, did you get it looked at?
I kept it clean and changed the dressing everyday, it's dried out to resemble a nasty graze but with the skin still almost all there. It's healing well and expect it to be as good as new. I'll post an up to date picture when I change the dressing later on.
Thanks for asking.
Old 31st May 2020, 20:02   #15
Saga Lout
This is my second home

MG ZT and Rover 75,

Default The Hand Today.

I've kept it clean and changed the dressing everyday, it's been OK and not painful at all after the initial tearing of the skin. I reckon I'm on the mend with this at last. I'm going to take more care of my skin after this for sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200531_175929.jpg (95.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20200531_192010.jpg (81.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 31st May 2020, 20:21   #16
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

It certainly looks better, keep it clean and look after yourself

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2020, 21:03   #17
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saga Lout View Post
Over recent weeks I've been out and about shopping for vulnerable people, this has seen me using much of the alcohol hand gels. I make no excuses at this time for having too many beers and last night I tripped and fell, I landed with my palms open on a flat carpeted floor but, the copious use of hand gel has dried out my skin quite badly. As I fell I got a searing pain through my hand like I'd fallen on glass, the thumb pad on my hand has literally torn away and the skin looks like pulled pork where it's torn. I didn't think that the hand gels could dry out the skin so much, and so I'm sharing this as a warning to moisturise your hands if you're using the gels, I've learned a very important lesson.
Sorry to hear that Mike, my skin has taken a beating too, working on cars and using all these hand gels is taking it's toll. I've been using Sudocrem at night and E45 cream through the day, it's working a treat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
I’m suffering dry hands too Mike, we have to use the gel frequently at work, I’ve been using e45 before I go to sleep to try and restore some moisture!
Great minds Andy.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote