Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th February 2024, 12:46   #1
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Default MOT failure: broken self adjusters but NO Xenons

Just had an MOT failure due to a broken self adjusting arm or bracket BUT I have swapped the Xenons from this 04 motor to my "new" 02 Tourer. Am I right in thinking that these self adjusters are ONLY needed or fitted to cars with Xenons?
Old 27th February 2024, 18:40   #2
Martin Butler
Loves to post

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoppet View Post
Just had an MOT failure due to a broken self adjusting arm or bracket BUT I have swapped the Xenons from this 04 motor to my "new" 02 Tourer. Am I right in thinking that these self adjusters are ONLY needed or fitted to cars with Xenons?
You must have left the sensor and arm in place, and the tester having seen it, would have failed it, if it wasn't there how would the tester have known from the information the system has?
Martin Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2024, 19:37   #3
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

If no xenon light you need an internal level switch on the lsm
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2024, 19:56   #4
Matt_75
Gets stuck in

75 Saloon

This topic came recently: https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...67#post2988967

The MoT manual says that if a self-levelling system is fitted, it must work. However, your situation is a little unusual as, if I've understood it correctly, the 04 car has halogen headlights retrofitted but the self levelling equipment still attached. If you remove the self levelling stuff completely, I think you should get a pass.

Have you switched the light switches over? I might be wrong (someone please correct me if I am) but I believe the Xenon light switch module doesn't have the little wheel to adjust the beam height, whereas the Halogen version does.

You can't simply swap the modules over however as they're coded to the car. I think you have to separate the face plate and switches from the rest of the module, which is connected with a ribbon cable and some clips, and swap just that piece over. This might not be necessary, especially if the 04 car is already fitted with a light switch module that has the beam height adjustment wheel.

2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 (BRG)
1999 Rover 75 Club 2.5 (Dorchester Red)
1973 Triumph Dolomite (Honeysuckle)
Matt_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2024, 07:49   #5
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_75 View Post
This topic came recently: https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...67#post2988967

Have you switched the light switches over? I might be wrong (someone please correct me if I am) but I believe the Xenon light switch module doesn't have the little wheel to adjust the beam height, whereas the Halogen version does.

Yes the 02 Tourer has the thumb wheel - that now has the Xenons - but the 04 that has the non-working self levellers now has the transferred Halogens, so this gizmo is pointless and useless.
Old 28th February 2024, 09:42   #6
Matt_75
Gets stuck in

75 Saloon

Quote:
Yes the 02 Tourer has the thumb wheel - that now has the Xenons - but the 04 that has the non-working self levellers now has the transferred Halogens, so this gizmo is pointless and useless.
Does the 04 car also have an internal level switch (thumb wheel)? To Dave Lincs' point, the 04 car will need that thumb wheel now that it has halogens fitted.

2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 (BRG)
1999 Rover 75 Club 2.5 (Dorchester Red)
1973 Triumph Dolomite (Honeysuckle)

Last edited by Matt_75; 28th February 2024 at 09:45..
Matt_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2024, 10:25   #7
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
HI Dave.
It sounds to me like the MOT tester has seem the Xenons then when the car is up in the air, there is no adjusting bracket or arm on the suspension arm so he has failed it, the 02 would not have had the bracket etc but the 04 may have.

This is the rear one.

Front one would sit here.

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...31&postcount=2

PS which car has failed the 02 or the 04

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 28th February 2024 at 10:29..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2024, 11:02   #8
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
HI Dave.

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...31&postcount=2

PS which car has failed the 02 or the 04

Hallo Steve: do you ever wish you'd never started something? For the avoidance of doubt:
1. The (two) Xenons are NOW on the 02 car: this has a thumbwheel. Its MOT is not due for another year or so.
2. The failed MOT is on the 04 car which NOW has all halogens and the useless self-levellers. I have been told that the self-levellers are ONLY used and needed on Xenons.
3. And I have no intention of swapping them back. Removing and replacing TWO front bumpers plus the lights is too horrific to ever contemplate.
Old 28th February 2024, 12:11   #9
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
1. The (two) Xenons are NOW on the 02 car: this has a thumbwheel. Its MOT is not due for another year or so.
Dave, I may be wrong but I fear that when it is due, your 02 car will fail its MOT since I suspect that Xenons are not compatible with manual thumbwheel adjustment as indeed you've stated here:
Quote:
I have been told that the self-levellers are ONLY used and needed on Xenons.
You'll therefore need to fit suspension sensors to your 02 car to pass the MOT.

Concerning your newer 04 car ...
Quote:
2. The failed MOT is on the 04 car which NOW has all halogens and the useless self-levellers.
Your 04 car's halogen headlamps needs the manual thumbwheel adjustment. If it doesn't have this then that may well be a reason for MOT failure (levelling system not functional).
Quote:
3. And I have no intention of swapping them back. Removing and replacing TWO front bumpers plus the lights is too horrific to ever contemplate.
In that case unfortunately I suspect that you have a similarly major job to face.
As Matt has suggested, prepare yourself for having to swap the LSMs between the two cars since the levelling systems appear to be different which I understand involves T4 reconfiguration. If there is any other electrical equipment specific to the Xenons then that will need swapping between cars as well.

This is just my interpretation of the situation so I would welcome the comments of someone with first hand experience of the Xenon system.

Simon
Old 28th February 2024, 12:16   #10
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Dave, I may be wrong but I fear that when it is due, your 02 car will fail its MOT since I suspect that Xenons are not compatible with manual thumbwheel adjustment as indeed you've stated here:

You'll therefore need to fit suspension sensors to your 02 car to pass the MOT.

Concerning your newer 04 car ...

Your 04 car's halogen headlamps needs the manual thumbwheel adjustment. If it doesn't have this then that may well be a reason for MOT failure (levelling system not functional).

In that case unfortunately I suspect that you have a similarly major job to face.

As Matt has suggested, prepare yourself for having to swap the LSMs between the two cars since the levelling systems appear to be different which I understand involves T4 reconfiguration. If there is any other electrical equipment specific to the Xenons then that will need swapping between cars as well.

This is just my interpretation of the situation so I would welcome the comments of someone with first hand experience of the Xenon system.

Simon
Simon, I retrofitting xenons to my 02 and the thumb wheel works just fine. Been on over 10 years without issues 😎

Sent from my SM-A145R using Tapatalk
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote