Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd March 2009, 17:34   #1
TrevorL

ZT 1.8T

Default 1.8ZT Metal particals in oil

Last weekend did oil and filter changed on ZT 1.8T, gets changed every 4 -6K, decided to drain 200 mil off this weekend as it was on the high side, on inspection of the drained oil revealed quit a bit of metal partials looks like the big ends bearing are on there way-out !!!! the dipstick shows white streaks after couple of minutes of running from cold and completely clear once warm, I do not believe it's condensation but most likely white metal dust as it disperses quickly ? stopped using the car unit I have professional opinion, I have own the car from new only covering nearly 24K careful miles and has never been floored, the all round condition is better than new , head gasket, Turbo, nearly every hose etc,: have been changed in recent years, oil and water levels check every week, no expense has been spared, with folder full of bills,

Trevor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Metal partical.jpg (87.8 KB, 25 views)
TrevorL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 17:43   #2
StevenWilliams
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon 2.5 V6 British Racing Green. 81,000 miles and counting

I hope it's not what you think it is.

I hope everything works out in the end and it is easily fixable.

I keep 2 huge magnets attached to my oil filter. It's a great way of catching the smallest metal particals that would normally not be captured by the oil filter.

They are so strong that you need a screw driver to prise them away from the filter when it's off the car as part of a service.

Looking for: 7 seater
StevenWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2009, 18:32   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Are bearing shells actually made of a magnetic metal? I didn't think they were. However, magnets will retain any iron based metals from other wearing parts (whatever those may be - liners and piston rings I guess). Magnets are usually used in gearbox systems where fines chipped off the gears are usually found in the bottom. The old minis had a combined gearbox/engine lube system, so the megnetic drain plug looked like a little hedgehog after 6,000 miles.

T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote