Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th May 2017, 19:14   #1
monty1
Avid contributor

mg zt-t deisel

Default jacking up the front of the car

so today i needed the car on stands, thought i give the centre lift a bash, handbrake on and wheels chocked and it was a doddle, 3 minutes and it was on axle stands.

just for info the jack is a quick lift 2.5 tonne these are for 4x4's but work great on all cars

monty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 19:15   #2
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

That's the best way, keep jacks away from sills!!!
Old 11th May 2017, 19:20   #3
monty1
Avid contributor

mg zt-t deisel

it is mate, can this be done on the back
monty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 19:23   #4
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty1 View Post
it is mate, can this be done on the back
Yep, use the 'loop' in the centre underneath the rear bumper, a little more tricky and it doesn't lift it as high, but still works well.
Old 11th May 2017, 19:45   #5
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Ah, the good old block paving, with any jack one needs to make sure that weight is evenly spread; personally I use a board under the jack if on anything other than concrete.

I use a block of wood on top of the jack when lifting the rear of the car to give it a bit of extra height.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2017, 20:37   #6
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty1 View Post
so today i needed the car on stands, thought i give the centre lift a bash, handbrake on and wheels chocked and it was a doddle, 3 minutes and it was on axle stands.

just for info the jack is a quick lift 2.5 tonne these are for 4x4's but work great on all cars

Wheel Chocked. Great idea. Personally I don't completely trust the hand brake on these cars.---
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2017, 07:53   #7
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

I have a pair of aluminium spreader plates for going under the trolley jack wheels on block paved drives - they allow the jack to move freely and not get caught in the gaps between the bricks as the car lifts.

Also, if using the central rear jacking point, make sure the keys are out of the ignition and the steering is locked to prevent any risk of the car slewing off the jack.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2017, 09:15   #8
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

It gives me the willies lifting the front/rear high enough to insert axle stands, especially using a 'domestic' jack. I just won't do it, but there you go. The front/rear centre spots are suggested, but they're clearly not designed for locating a jack. Why didn't they put some sort of jacking pad there? Using the rear towing eye seems barmy to me. It's why I started this thread: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=35051

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2017, 10:14   #9
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
It gives me the willies lifting the front/rear high enough to insert axle stands, especially using a 'domestic' jack. I just won't do it, but there you go. The front/rear centre spots are suggested, but they're clearly not designed for locating a jack. Why didn't they put some sort of jacking pad there? Using the rear towing eye seems barmy to me. It's why I started this thread: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=35051

TC
You've said this before, but still ignore the fact that these locations are in the Rover handbook as the main jacking points. An hydraulic trolley jack with adequate lift height and load capacity should always be used along with wheel chocks. Once jacked stands should be placed under the sill jacking points and the car carefully lowered onto them evenly.

I'm not the the only one to lift the car like this time after time without issue.

The 4 sill jacking points can be used for jacking a single corner of the car using any jack including the emergency kit jack but only for the purpose of changing a wheel, and shouldn't be jacked any higher than necessary to accomplish that: especially if using a scissor jack.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2017, 11:15   #10
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
You've said this before, but still ignore the fact that these locations are in the Rover handbook as the main jacking points..
I don't ignore the Handbook, far from it. I'm simply saying it gives me the willies lifting 1,000Kg so high perched on a domestic jack. I'd also prefer a well designed jacking pad. But if you and everyone else is happy that's fine by me.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote