Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 4th December 2021, 08:49   #1
Wicksie

Rover 75 saloon

Talking locking wheel nut tip - it really works!

If you have the internal spline type wheel locknuts, the spline has rusted and worn and the key just spins and will not remove the nut - do not despair.
I got this tip from you tube but it really does work for our cars.
Get a 22mm 12 pointed chrome socket, a 2.5lb club hammer or similar and mole grips or stout pipegrip pliers.
Place the socket up against the stuck locknut and Tap the socket until you feel it gripping the circular flange of the nut. Grip the socket with the pliers and give it some healthy wacks - you will find it will force onto the nut for about 10mm
I had to use a straining bar to release the nut but it came out with no slipping of the socket.
Once separated from the nut on the bench, using a drift, you could see that the socket had cut it's own shallow splines.
Footnote: I have purchased 4 new normal wheel nuts and will throw away the remaining locknuts, this design is NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- IMHO. I have in my tool collection a 22mm blue spot nut remover which I now realise would also have done the job but was worried it might have had too little clearance and damaged the wheel
Wicksie is offline   Reply With Quote