Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th June 2019, 07:21   #1
Gate Keeper
This is my second home
 
Gate Keeper's Avatar
 
Rover 75 V6 2.0 build date: 02 October 1998 S... LJW

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bristol
Posts: 16,564
Thanks: 6,088
Thanked 5,441 Times in 3,215 Posts
Default Chain saw advice please

My nephew has the STHL 660 chain saw and he said it is unusually running high RPM at idle and he doesn’t know why or how to correct it. I am not an engineer but I know we have some clever people on the forum who might know the answer to his chain saw problem?
__________________
https://youtu.be/6-dlaugBQho
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2019, 07:33   #2
trikey
Premium Trader
 
trikey's Avatar
 
T4

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 23,350
Thanks: 4,926
Thanked 7,818 Times in 4,704 Posts
Default

First thing to check is a sticky cable or switch Phil, the throttle may not be returning to its stop position.
__________________
Lest we forget..
trikey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trikey For This Useful Post:
Old 4th June 2019, 08:25   #3
Gate Keeper
This is my second home
 
Gate Keeper's Avatar
 
Rover 75 V6 2.0 build date: 02 October 1998 S... LJW

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bristol
Posts: 16,564
Thanks: 6,088
Thanked 5,441 Times in 3,215 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
First thing to check is a sticky cable or switch Phil, the throttle may not be returning to its stop position.
Thanks Andy, I will pop round and have a look. I will let you know how it goes.
__________________
https://youtu.be/6-dlaugBQho
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2019, 09:28   #4
Number 6
This is my second home
 
Number 6's Avatar
 
Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Meneac
Posts: 5,655
Thanks: 3,635
Thanked 1,143 Times in 623 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
My nephew has the STHL 660 chain saw and he said it is unusually running high RPM at idle and he doesn’t know why or how to correct it. I am not an engineer but I know we have some clever people on the forum who might know the answer to his chain saw problem?
It should have a throttle stop/adjuster on it.If you can locate that then run it up to temp and see if you can adjust it to slow it down.

That what I did with mine.


http://www.madsens1.com/saw_carb_tune.htm
__________________
]

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"

Last edited by Number 6; 4th June 2019 at 09:32..
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Number 6 For This Useful Post:
Old 4th June 2019, 18:13   #5
Gate Keeper
This is my second home
 
Gate Keeper's Avatar
 
Rover 75 V6 2.0 build date: 02 October 1998 S... LJW

Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bristol
Posts: 16,564
Thanks: 6,088
Thanked 5,441 Times in 3,215 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
It should have a throttle stop/adjuster on it.If you can locate that then run it up to temp and see if you can adjust it to slow it down.

That what I did with mine.


http://www.madsens1.com/saw_carb_tune.htm
Thank you John, most helpful. I copied and pasted your experiences and your link to him in message. I haven't heard back yet.
__________________
https://youtu.be/6-dlaugBQho
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gate Keeper For This Useful Post:
Old 4th June 2019, 18:54   #6
RPWC
Roverholic
 
RPWC's Avatar
 
Rover 75 model car

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Posts: 17,483
Thanks: 3,365
Thanked 3,769 Times in 2,515 Posts
Default

Excuse my hijack here Phil, but I have a problem with my hedgecutter.It looses revs and cuts out after only about 10 mins of use, I have had the fuel and inlet pipe replaced, the mixture was reset by a so called 2t expert,who apparently used it for 30 mins trouble free on his own hedge. When I fetched it back from the repairets and usec it straight away,,, after 10 mins.and using it on its side,it dies. Someone said knackered carburettor? Anyone any ideas?
__________________
cheers. Rich
RPWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2019, 19:03   #7
mss
This is my second home
 
R75 1.8 NA & CDTI facelift Saloons + R45 TD HB + Omega v6 Auto + Kawasaki VN750 & KLF300

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 5,280
Thanks: 885
Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,328 Posts
Default

Hi Rich - I would strip the carb, run carb cleaner through all the orifices and then rebuild with a new diaphragm/needle/filter screen kit. I can send you links to how it is done if you fancy having a go. It's all quite straightforward if you mark everything up and take photographs of where all the bits go.

But first, make surre there is nothing blocking airflow to the fins thus causing the engine to overheat.
mss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2019, 19:05   #8
Number 6
This is my second home
 
Number 6's Avatar
 
Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Meneac
Posts: 5,655
Thanks: 3,635
Thanked 1,143 Times in 623 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Excuse my hijack here Phil, but I have a problem with my hedgecutter.It looses revs and cuts out after only about 10 mins of use, I have had the fuel and inlet pipe replaced, the mixture was reset by a so called 2t expert,who apparently used it for 30 mins trouble free on his own hedge. When I fetched it back from the repairets and usec it straight away,,, after 10 mins.and using it on its side,it dies. Someone said knackered carburettor? Anyone any ideas?
If it only does it when it is on its side check that the fuel pick up in the tank is not stuck up or kinked over.It should have a weight on the end of the fuel line to keep it in the fuel.

the only thing that normally goes wrong with the carb is the diaphragm that acts as a pump There is little else that can go wrong with them..
__________________
]

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2019, 22:58   #9
RPWC
Roverholic
 
RPWC's Avatar
 
Rover 75 model car

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newcastle upon Tyne
Posts: 17,483
Thanks: 3,365
Thanked 3,769 Times in 2,515 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
Hi Rich - I would strip the carb, run carb cleaner through all the orifices and then rebuild with a new diaphragm/needle/filter screen kit. I can send you links to how it is done if you fancy having a go. It's all quite straightforward if you mark everything up and take photographs of where all the bits go.

But first, make surre there is nothing blocking airflow to the fins thus causing the engine to overheat.
its already had a carb strip, clean and rebuild Maninder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
If it only does it when it is on its side check that the fuel pick up in the tank is not stuck up or kinked over.It should have a weight on the end of the fuel line to keep it in the fuel.

the only thing that normally goes wrong with the carb is the diaphragm that acts as a pump There is little else that can go wrong with them..
Its had the tank off and cleaned, fresh petrol added, not JUST when on its side, using it on the flat too.The machone cost me 90 quid about 4 years ago, so far I have spent 50 on repairs that havent worked. To put it in to a garden machinery repair centre would cost me more than I paid for it. There is a place just across the road from me, but they are Stihl and Husquvarna dealers, so will cost a fortune. I'm not confident to dismantle it, this is why I gave it to the machinery repair man, as he serviced the mower a couple of years back. I have learnt that if I'm not sure of what I'm doing, let someone who is do the job.
__________________
cheers. Rich
RPWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2019, 10:01   #10
COLVERT
This is my second home
 
R75 Saloon.

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: France/or Devon.
Posts: 9,843
Thanks: 2,209
Thanked 998 Times in 872 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Excuse my hijack here Phil, but I have a problem with my hedgecutter.It looses revs and cuts out after only about 10 mins of use, I have had the fuel and inlet pipe replaced, the mixture was reset by a so called 2t expert,who apparently used it for 30 mins trouble free on his own hedge. When I fetched it back from the repairets and usec it straight away,,, after 10 mins.and using it on its side,it dies. Someone said knackered carburettor? Anyone any ideas?
That gradual slowing down and then stopping is just about always the same thing.---Slight binding in the throttle cable. The cable moves past the tight point very slowly due to the vibration from the engine whilst it's running.--If you don't want to tackle the cable then make sure the throttle stop is giving you enough revs to keep the engine running. Then it doesn't matter about the slightly sticking cable.---
__________________
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 13:58.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2006-2019, The Rover 75 & MG ZT Owners Club Ltd