Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 11th March 2019, 12:02   #1
PerciUrwin
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Starter Motor problems?

I own a F/lift CDTi Conny Se 2004 reg.

I broke at the weekend.

I had power to everything , but when I turned the key....NOTHING...DEAD.

Starter Motor has gone , I thought.

I called the AA.
When they arrived, the patrolman discovered that the issue was a rusted connection between a male & female 'spade' connectors ( these are shaped like a spade and only make contact with each other on each side of the spade, if you see what I mean) It is this cable which provides electrical power to the Starter Motor.

The above cable is located deep down at the front of the engine between the radiator and the block .
If you look down , toward the right hand side of the radiator, ( between it and the block) you will see a small rubber hose ( approx 1 inch diameter) just behind this , if you shine a torch you will see a small wire. This wire is the cable you are looking for. You cant see the connectors, which are obstructed from view by the front of the block, etc.

In order to rectify the rusty connection, he had to move his arm down between the rad and the block and he simply disconnected/connected the connecting wires several times (blind, as you cannot see what are doing and are totally reliant on touch ) , after which most of the rust was been removed by the 'chafing' of connecting disconnecting the male / female spade connectors.

After which , the car started with no probs at all.

Hope this helps.

P.S I cant show any photos, as its too complicated to do on this site - Administrators please note and rectify !

Rgds,

John (PerciUrwin).
Old 11th March 2019, 16:42   #2
grout20
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Auto

Hi John

Thanks for the tip. Glad you are back on the road!

C ya

T'other John

My 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto 75 is the
• 20,516th 75 to be made out of 112,381
• 787th 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,671
• 1,248th Wedgwood Blue Metallic (code: JBH) to be made out of 7,515 code JBH 75's
grout20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 18:20   #3
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerciUrwin View Post
I own a F/lift CDTi Conny Se 2004 reg.

I broke at the weekend.

I had power to everything , but when I turned the key....NOTHING...DEAD.

Starter Motor has gone , I thought.

I called the AA.
When they arrived, the patrolman discovered that the issue was a rusted connection between a male & female 'spade' connectors ( these are shaped like a spade and only make contact with each other on each side of the spade, if you see what I mean) It is this cable which provides electrical power to the Starter Motor.

The above cable is located deep down at the front of the engine between the radiator and the block .
If you look down , toward the right hand side of the radiator, ( between it and the block) you will see a small rubber hose ( approx 1 inch diameter) just behind this , if you shine a torch you will see a small wire. This wire is the cable you are looking for. You cant see the connectors, which are obstructed from view by the front of the block, etc.

In order to rectify the rusty connection, he had to move his arm down between the rad and the block and he simply disconnected/connected the connecting wires several times (blind, as you cannot see what are doing and are totally reliant on touch ) , after which most of the rust was been removed by the 'chafing' of connecting disconnecting the male / female spade connectors.

After which , the car started with no probs at all.

Hope this helps.

P.S I cant show any photos, as its too complicated to do on this site - Administrators please note and rectify !

Rgds,

John (PerciUrwin).
Perci.---Pics are REALLY easy to post on this site.

Click on the little yellow square at the top of your post.

Go to your computer pics and select the one you want. Select OPEN then upload it.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 22:09   #4
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Hi John.
This would be the spade connector you are referring to in your above post, hopefully the cleaning will help for a while but I have a feeling it will be just that, what needs doing most likely is the starter motor contacts and plunger they have most likely worn thin by now.

Therefore the more stop and starting you do over the next few months or year will only make them worse, which will in the end stop the car from starting at all, check out the link below.

I have fitted these contacts to all my cars since 2011 & several Nano members/owners cars they usually need changing around the 65,000 75,000 miles mark, this depends on how much stop/start driving you do, a car that is used daily for a short journey several times a day would most likely need them at the earlier mileage in my opinion.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=227316

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 13th March 2019 at 00:20.. Reason: Spelling
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2019, 23:30   #5
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Simple test to establish if failing to start is due to a corroded spade connector or solenoid contacts; with no control power getting to the starter motor there are no clicks, but with worn solenoid contacts you will hear a single click.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2019, 10:16   #6
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Click on the little yellow square at the top of your post.
I like the sound of your tip Jon but am struggling to find the yellow square to which you refer. The only icon of that kind which I have preceeds the date on my posts and clicking on it does nothing.

Are you perhaps describing a feature which works only on a particular type of computer/smartphone?

Cheers,

Simon
Old 12th March 2019, 13:47   #7
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I like the sound of your tip Jon but am struggling to find the yellow square to which you refer. The only icon of that kind which I have preceeds the date on my posts and clicking on it does nothing.

Are you perhaps describing a feature which works only on a particular type of computer/smartphone?

Cheers,

Simon
The little yellow square is at the top of the text box you are actually typing in before clicking "Submit Reply". When you hover over the button it will say "Insert Image", BUT that is if your image is hosted by an outside service like Photobucket (NOT RECOMMENDED) or similar. If you click on the "Paperclip" button in the row above the yellow square, you can then attach a picture from your computer.

Cheers,
Glenn

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2019, 08:34   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Ahh, that little yellow square! I have used that one but not the paperclip icon so thanks very much Glenn for taking the trouble to explain it.

Simon
Old 14th March 2019, 00:26   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;2718695
Ahh, that little yellow square! I have used that one but not the paperclip icon so thanks very much Glenn for taking the trouble to explain it.

Simon

The paperclip is a shortcut to the Additional Options footer to the page where below miscellaneous options, there is an option to manage attachments.

And just for good measure I've attached a file from my computer, uploaded it as an attachment, and then utilising the "little yellow square" (which is supposed to be a picture of a mountain) to use the forum hosting to enable the direct placement of my picture I've previously uploaded.

Now all I need to know is if there is a way to remove the thumbnails created when you so this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4264.jpg (137.4 KB, 56 views)
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2019, 13:26   #10
slovcan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer CDT MK2 manual in Glorious Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post

The paperclip is a shortcut to the Additional Options footer to the page where below miscellaneous options, there is an option to manage attachments.

And just for good measure I've attached a file from my computer, uploaded it as an attachment, and then utilising the "little yellow square" (which is supposed to be a picture of a mountain) to use the forum hosting to enable the direct placement of my picture I've previously uploaded.

Now all I need to know is if there is a way to remove the thumbnails created when you so this
Hmmm, I hope you are right (unless it's an option that trader fees unlock?). That said, your steering wheel didn't get inserted into your post, but stayed as a thumbnail. Now I'll try that, too. I always wanted to be able to put pics in the text.

No, the "managa Attachments" section was already there below everything. All I got by clicking on the yellow square mountains was the box for the hosting website address. Shame that. Anyway, better thumbnail pics than no pics.

Cheers,
Glenn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190311_100935.jpg (121.6 KB, 24 views)

Anything can happen in Formula 1 and usually does - Murray Walker

1999 Triumph Trophy 900, Saddlesore 1600, Iron Butt Riders Association #63720

2005 Rover 75 CDT Tourer MK2
slovcan is offline   Reply With Quote