Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2nd January 2016, 11:58   #1
humphshumphs
I really should get out more.......

No longer a Rover Owner

Location: As far east as you can go in the UK and not get wet feet.
Default Virtual T4/ P-Scan / Toaf software

There has been a discussion going on over the last few days about the Virtual T4 and I think that this is a brilliant bit of kit based on what we've heard. I have the IPK-Changer that Phil-T4 gave away a few months ago, and if the Virtual T4 software is written in the same vain (and I have no reason to doubt) it's going to be brilliant.

We've also seen screen shots and you-tube videos of the Toaf software being written, and again it looks good.

Both these bits of software allow you to read error codes and do stuff on the cars.

We mustn't forget the P-Scan software/hardware either. Again this looks a good bit of kit, but from what I have seen on the website, it is for reading data/codes etc., not for changing things.

Being a bit of a geek, I would love to be able to play with the cars settings .... BUT, and it's a big but, I would be scared about bricking my motor... not something I would be happy about.

I would love something that is 'idiot proof' in that you could use it to read error codes, and clear them, and also be able to play with the dealer options as well (just coz ), but for anything else, I would be much happier paying one of the T4 Gurus to diagnose and fix as needed.

Just my take on things

No longer a 75 owner as my tourer made it to the moon, and died on it's way back. But 1/4 million miles ain't bad.
Old 2nd January 2016, 12:12   #2
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Agreed! It's a Rover 75, not a space rocket, so how hard can it be!

Waits for the flak to start!

Hope folks can take a joke in these stressful times!

PS. I'm a techna phobe!

Mike
Old 2nd January 2016, 12:31   #3
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

One of the things I have come to understand about T4 is, you can undo most things that may go wrong... I am not sure about the other products...
Also T4 takes you through the processes step by step with on screen instructions, again I do not know if this is available in the other products...

The VT4 is not a new version of T4, that system is the same as any full T4 out there, the virtual bit is simply (if I can say that tongue in cheek) a virtual serial to USB interface that handles the data from the car into a format that T4 can interpret...
Old 2nd January 2016, 12:33   #4
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverbarmy View Post
Agreed! It's a Rover 75, not a space rocket, so how hard can it be!

Waits for the flak to start!

Hope folks can take a joke in these stressful times!

PS. I'm a techna phobe!

Mike
if I were to tell you that a musical Christmas card has more computing power than the entire Apollo 11 program had... I would not be exaggerating....
Old 2nd January 2016, 13:03   #5
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

You wont brick your car with either T4 or VT4, there are built in safeguards. I don't know enough about other systems to comment.
Pete is spot on with his advice, T4 is the system that Rover used on its vehicles. VT4 is basically the same, it uses the exact same software and talks to the various ECU's in exactly the same way with the exception that you don't need all the cables and interface that came with the original T4. The difference with VT4 is purely how the Laptop/PC connects to the OBD port in your car.
Any owner who is committed and serious about his 75 or ZT will find this the best route. I obviously cannot comment about the other two systems mentioned but I would expect them to be very well developed and robust.
Just my thoughts though.
Old 2nd January 2016, 13:32   #6
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy-dials.com View Post
if I were to tell you that a musical Christmas card has more computing power than the entire Apollo 11 program had... I would not be exaggerating....
I used to like the days when you could adjust the laughing shaft onto the giggling pin by simply twisting the torque in the cylinder. It sometimes overtwisted the compression causing the rockers to sway, but the mods did help to alleviate the problems once they had the small faces sorted. A re-boot involved a trip to the cobblers.
Old 2nd January 2016, 13:56   #7
humphshumphs
I really should get out more.......

No longer a Rover Owner

Location: As far east as you can go in the UK and not get wet feet.

This has actually answered another question I was going ask... without me having to ask it

The virtual part of kit replaces the black box of tricks and the cables - But this then brings up another question: If I was to buy a VT4 would I have to purchase the T4 software as well?

No longer a 75 owner as my tourer made it to the moon, and died on it's way back. But 1/4 million miles ain't bad.
Old 2nd January 2016, 13:59   #8
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
You wont brick your car with either T4 or VT4, there are built in safeguards. I don't know enough about other systems to comment.
Its actually quite easy, if you were to be in the engine management and select ecu checks and renewals with a new tune being available, then applying the download, you get a message saying it takes about 11 minutes (can't remember exactly how long it is) but it generally takes a lot longer. If you thought nothing was happening and cycled the ignition or the laptop or car battery went flat then you'd have problems

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
Old 2nd January 2016, 13:59   #9
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by humphshumphs View Post
This has actually answered another question I was going ask... without me having to ask it

The virtual part of kit replaces the black box of tricks and the cables - But this then brings up another question: If I was to buy a VT4 would I have to purchase the T4 software as well?
if you were to purchase it the genuine discs are available on line... (ebay)
Old 2nd January 2016, 14:00   #10
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by humphshumphs View Post

I believe you need to have the original software disc. Probably best to pm Phil-T4

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
Closed Thread