Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd December 2006, 08:32   #1
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Default Bonnet

My bonnet has never quite 'sat' straight, the left hand side is higher than the right. I have tried adjusting it using the screw in/out adjuster on that side but it makes no difference. What do I need to do to even up the two sides?
Thanks.
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2006, 13:10   #2
Nick Hoare
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8 Conn SE Auto (54)

Is yours the facelift model ? I seem to remember reading some where that most of the facelift 75's have a large gap (Mine does)
Old 2nd December 2006, 13:16   #3
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hoare View Post
Is yours the facelift model ? I seem to remember reading some where that most of the facelift 75's have a large gap (Mine does)

Yes it is a facelift model. I don't mind the gap being a bit large so long as it is even...which it isn't!
Old 2nd December 2006, 22:36   #4
Simon
Banned

-

It could be the two release springs above the grille (one on either side). I don't know if they are adjustable but it's worth having a look to see if one is perhaps loose or something which would cause the bonnet to sit slightly higher on one side.

The other option is the slam-pannel itself isn't sitting level on the chasis. If I recall, the slam-pannel and bumper can be moved slightly on the chasis mount to allow you to adjust the gap that is present when the bonnet is shut. It may be that the slam-pannel and bumper assembly aren't horizontal.

Another option could be a buckled bonnet, which is rather more difficult (and costly) to fix (ie. new bonnet )

Hope this helps!
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2006, 09:58   #5
Martin75
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDti Auto Saloon 2004

Default Unlevel Bonnet

I had the same problem and loosened the six nut heads that fasten the front plastic panel/apron (holds the grille) to the car - (these look up at you as you look down at the radiator - with bonnet open). I then shifted the front panel around for about 30 mins and after a lot of bonnet openings and closings, eventually got it level then tightened them and finally adjusted the two rubber plugs on each side of the bonnet as you stated. I should add I had to insert a small rubber wedge in between the top of the front panel and the car before I got there, but it now looks perfect and everything shuts as it should. Give it a try, all you need is a socket set and about an hour of fiddling!
Martin75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2006, 22:53   #6
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin75 View Post
I had the same problem and loosened the six nut heads that fasten the front plastic panel/apron (holds the grille) to the car - (these look up at you as you look down at the radiator - with bonnet open). I then shifted the front panel around for about 30 mins and after a lot of bonnet openings and closings, eventually got it level then tightened them and finally adjusted the two rubber plugs on each side of the bonnet as you stated. I should add I had to insert a small rubber wedge in between the top of the front panel and the car before I got there, but it now looks perfect and everything shuts as it should. Give it a try, all you need is a socket set and about an hour of fiddling!
Thanks, I will give it a go...