Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 15th February 2012, 15:18   #1
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Default Tourer rear light/clips

Had to change the side light bulb on the right hand side rear today, and found that the Muppet that recently fitted my tow bar had not only broken one of the stupid little clips, but also the mounting for the lower screw bracket

I seem to recall that getting replacement clips is another one of those hen's teeth things, but if anyone can advise otherwise...?

Also, to get the light so it's not just hanging on by the top two fixings, I may be looking at a replacement unit. Are these chicken gnashers too?
Old 15th February 2012, 16:22   #2
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

hi dave rimmers have them in stock i think it is from memory xfr000021

Last edited by suffolk boy; 15th February 2012 at 16:25..
suffolk boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 16:27   #3
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk boy View Post
hi dave rimmers have them in stock i think it is from memory xfr000021
Cheers Philip!

If that number was from memory, then you must have a darn good memory!
Old 15th February 2012, 16:32   #4
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

tis was indeed i have developed a sad habit of remembering them
Old 15th February 2012, 16:40   #5
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Using the code supplied by your amazing memory, I have just found that South Lakeland Minis also have them, but for £1.65 as opposed to Rimmer's £2.82

I want to order four to be safe, so SLM is £6.60 (£10.10 inc P&P) as opposed to Rimmer's £11.28. Can't find out how much their P&P is without going most of the way through the order process, but even if it's free, SLM is still going to be cheaper!
Old 15th February 2012, 18:11   #6
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

SLM a little bit "naughty"

Price per clip is £1.65, so four is £6.60

P&P is £3.50, so expected to pay £10.10

However, VAT is mentioned at checkout stage, and is charged on the whole £10.10, making a total of £12.12

Now I'm not sure if VAT on P&P is "legal" (?? guess it must be) but, on going to PayPal to pay, this bill is now itemised as

Item total £8.62
P&P £3.50

which makes it look like they are covering the fact that VAT is going on postage? And suddenly VAT has been charged at 30% on the clips!

Old 15th February 2012, 18:55   #7
JEK
Avid contributor

Car sold to club member

I'm hardly surprised that the 'muppet' that fitted the tow bar broke one of the rear light clips.
They are not at all strong and very inflexible.
I bought a couple of genuine clips from the x MG dealer in Taunton and I managed to break both trying to get the lamp on.
I fitted them in the body and offered the lamp up.
Perhaps it would have been better to place them on the lamp fittings first and then locating them in the sockets on the body.

Has anyone else found that these clips are naff ?
Old 15th February 2012, 19:12   #8
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

No, seriously, he was a Muppet!

I am more narked that he broke the locating bracket for the screw fixing than that he broke the push fitting, which are indeed pants. And that he didn't tell me....
Old 15th February 2012, 20:02   #9
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

Smile Tourer / Rear light clips

Hi,

I bought four of these white "sockets" before Christmas (not sure who from - Rimmers or South Lakes) because I had to replace the large black plastic bracket that the small screw on the outer end of the loading edge, below the light unit, screws into.

As said above - naff , -- very poorly sized both for the hidden body mounting clips and the pin socket

Thinking of wanting to avoid breaking the new one to be used, (the other unbroken old one appeared to be a better fit than the new ones), I placed it in a mug of very hot water to try to soften it up, in readiness for the ball on the end of the mounting pin. No luck, - it still broke one of the sides off whilst inserting the pins ball-end, even with vaseline applied to ease fitting.

On whether to fit them on to the body first, I found the hidden securing clips were too close to the "baseplate" and would not open out once pushed through the square hole. I tried it " both ways" but no difference either way. To remedy this, I used the edge of a junior hacksaw blade to "file" a very small amount of the end of each clip, trying the fit, then removing more until it cleared the thicknes of the metal edges around the hole, and locked in.

For the sphere on the end of the mounting pin, I opened up the shoulders of the socket, with a round file to make it easier for the the pin end to be pressed in "by hand". This also allowed removal by a straight gentle pull, rather than a major levering operation, putting the whole light unit and clips at risk of being damaged because of the heavy forces formerly required

I was glad I purchased 4. But at the price charged (should have been letter post), they should fit exactly and not require micro engineering to make them fit properly.

Best of luck,

Geoff.
GeoffWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 20:13   #10
Bob Williams
Loves to post

MG ZT-T+

I have had the same problem with the poor quality fittings. The plastic sleeves that the studs push into break off and the captive nuts to hold the two bolts cease to be captive - assuming you haven't dropped the bolts into the bodywork! Mine rattles at every corner now. I have just had to have mine bodged to stop the unit falling off
Bob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote