Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th February 2012, 14:29   #1
tazzman600
Regular poster

Mk3 Ford Focus

Default Manual Gearbox Oil Choice

Hello folks. It's about time my 53 plate ZT Diesel has its gearbox oil changed. I've had it 5 yrs and done approx 60k miles and the car is now on 100k miles and I know I've not changed the gearbox oil and I doubt its been changed at all. Got no probs with it mind but I'm wondering is it ok to use a Semi Synthetic Gear Oil. Just so happens I've got about 2.5 litres left over from using it many years ago in an Astra 1.8's gearbox (it was recommended then for that car).
If this isn't good enough then what has been used by other Diesel ZT owners?
What's recommended?
tazzman600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 14:35   #2
SKS Disco
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzman600 View Post
Hello folks. It's about time my 53 plate ZT Diesel has its gearbox oil changed. I've had it 5 yrs and done approx 60k miles and the car is now on 100k miles and I know I've not changed the gearbox oil and I doubt its been changed at all. Got no probs with it mind but I'm wondering is it ok to use a Semi Synthetic Gear Oil. Just so happens I've got about 2.5 litres left over from using it many years ago in an Astra 1.8's gearbox (it was recommended then for that car).
What's recommended?
Hi,
The recommended gearbox oil for these is spec MTF 94.
a 2.5 ltr bottle is part number VYK000020
Old 8th February 2012, 20:27   #3
John C

Rover 75 Saloon

Yes, MTF 94 is the recommended spec. My local motor factors said they didn't have any so I got some from a Land Rover dealership.

Access to the filler plug is a pain - I tried a hand held oil suction gun, like a grease gun but for...oil. It didn't work, the MTF is like water and it pushed past the seal. So I used a large syringe left over from when our rabbit needed medication and that did the trick!

I did mine at around 80,000 miles.
John C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2012, 21:45   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
What's recommended?
As mentioned MTF94. Fill the gearbox with that and it will run fine. Why risk putting anything else in?

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2012, 10:04   #5
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

I wouldnt use anything else. Use of the wrong oil (which rover specified but got wrong.. big shock..) killed many a PG1 box in the 200/400 at the beginning of production.

It should be noted that Millers XSS engine oil also meets MTF 94 spec. Its basically just semi synth or fully synth engine oil anyway with a few friction modifiers in it.
Old 9th February 2012, 10:34   #6
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C View Post
Yes, MTF 94 is the recommended spec. My local motor factors said they didn't have any so I got some from a Land Rover dealership.

Access to the filler plug is a pain - I tried a hand held oil suction gun, like a grease gun but for...oil. It didn't work, the MTF is like water and it pushed past the seal. So I used a large syringe left over from when our rabbit needed medication and that did the trick!

I did mine at around 80,000 miles.
[B]Hi. To fill the gearbox use a length of hosepipe about 3feet long and thread it from the filler for the gearbox through the engine to the top by the battery, Afffix funnel .Put the end in the gearbox then gently pour oil into funnel and keep checking gearbox for filling up. Then leave time for excess oil to drain from box.Put plug in./B]
Old 9th February 2012, 15:46   #7
tazzman600
Regular poster

Mk3 Ford Focus

Quote:
What's recommended?
Thanks for the replies and suggestions guys. I'll get the oil from XPart, price isn't an issue considering doing a sum of how much it costs per mile for a 100k trip. As for changing the oil that wont be a hassle, worst thing is taking the undertay off lol.. I will however add some ZX1 with the oil. I've recently learnt about it and have put some into my engine and Yes I've noticed a difference for the better (cold start, quieter)
Old 9th February 2012, 15:54   #8
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

NO!!!!!

ZX-1 is a concentrated solution of an additive that has been phased out of use over the last few decades. It corrodes brass and copper, burns to produce acids and other compounds that weaken piston rings and destroys cats. In a gearbox it can effect the syncromesh making gear changes worse not better.

Its ability to reduce friction was never in doubt, unlike Slick 50 and many others, but its the side effects that have caused it to be removed from oil.
Old 9th February 2012, 17:58   #9
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

MTF94 on its own really will be fine.

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 14:32   #10
tazzman600
Regular poster

Mk3 Ford Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovexCDTi View Post
NO!!!!!

ZX-1 is a concentrated solution of an additive that has been phased out of use over the last few decades. It corrodes brass and copper, burns to produce acids and other compounds that weaken piston rings and destroys cats. In a gearbox it can effect the syncromesh making gear changes worse not better.

Its ability to reduce friction was never in doubt, unlike Slick 50 and many others, but its the side effects that have caused it to be removed from oil.
Mmmmmmmm, very interesting. What you have said totally contadicts whats on the ZX1 site. Quote from site: It does not contain particulates such as Teflon or P.T.F.E. Molybdenum or Zinc (as quoted by honest john) a common cause of blocked filters and airways has a toxisty level between milk and garden soil and it is not copper corrosive. Rover Ron suggeted using it anywhere you can, fuel, steering and gearbox. I wonder where you have got your info from?