Notices

Old 13th June 2019, 17:42   #71
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Fair play to T May - she has asked the BBC for an explanation of Jo Brands outrageous comments.
That's good to hear, I don't understand why such comments would get broadcast...
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019, 17:54   #72
topman
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190

Jo brand's comments had passed me by.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-48611424

it's something she probably regrets but it's not something I'd get foaming at the mouth about. Comedians have been pushing boundaries for years and in doing so inevitably offend people.

http://www.qwghlm.co.uk/toys/dailymail/
topman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019, 18:12   #73
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

From a Morning Star point of view they always seem a bit right of centre. Interesting to hear you feel the BBC is London centric. From what I can see it seems to cover England very well but seems to ignore the Welsh, Northern Irish and Scottish nations.
All a matter of perspective I suppose.
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019, 19:02   #74
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondi View Post
From a Morning Star point of view they always seem a bit right of centre. Interesting to hear you feel the BBC is London centric. From what I can see it seems to cover England very well but seems to ignore the Welsh, Northern Irish and Scottish nations.
All a matter of perspective I suppose.

We in East Anglia have always felt the BBC to be biased towards the North, South and West of England as well as Scotland, Wales (or Whales if you believe the PROTUS ) and NI.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019, 19:28   #75
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
We in East Anglia have always felt the BBC to be biased towards the North, South and West of England as well as Scotland, Wales (or Whales if you believe the PROTUS ) and NI.
Ofcom are investigating the bias of the BBC. My own view is that the TV license should be scrapped and the BBC should cope in finding the funds by other means. The very least, pensioners should get the license free and those at the BBC who betrayed the pensioners, should own up to their mistakes and take the fall. Sack the liberal biased ones, they can go first

Sorry Maninder to stray from the main topic ....the visit of the U.S President.
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019, 19:31   #76
wraymond
I will find or make a way

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simondi View Post
Just wondering. What source would you suggest for a completely unbiased reporting of news items?
Since the independence referendum I have perceived the BBC to be very biased against Scotland in their national news service so have discounted them as credible a number of years ago
I get my views modulated by subscribing to the Spectator. There are two or three Scottish contributors along with several controversial writers of varied loyalties and (in my opinion at least) one or two excellent well balanced articles on several subjects.

There are also niche humorous articles and eminently respectable writers of note. No chance of Ms J. Brand being welcomed. It is eminent in its wide spectrum staffing and very long existence.

Cost works out less than a daily newspaper for a weekly issue which arrives in the post every Friday without fail (in my experience of about 8 years). It's not my only source but it's a good start.

If you don't want to chance your arm with a subscription, I'll be happy to send you a couple of copies! I have no personal investment or interest involved!
Old 13th June 2019, 19:53   #77
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

The Spectator - well known Conservative publication, past editors include Boris Johnson, Nigel Lawson to name a couple
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019, 20:11   #78
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Take it in context, a comedian saying a 'joke'* is NOT inciting someone to go out and hurl acid. Just think about it the furore. What people are suggesting, is that Jo Brand is inciting some hippy to throw acid onto a politician!!!! Yet Trump, surely has been successful in inciting a lot worse (or at least not been too enthusiastic in subduing it).

With the milk shake attacks on Stephen Christopher Yaxley-Lennon and Nigel Farage, surely a less painful equivalent of an egg (or rotten tomatoes perhaps), it has to be the new egg on the face, on somewhat odious characters who incite their own brand of incitement. Saying it though, in light of recent acid attacks of course is unwise and inconsiderate (and I disagree with any of it, acid or milk shake by the way). Just as Danny Baker was unwise to post the picture he did (which in context actually worked! - ie another animal for the performing zoo that he believes is the Royal Family - he should have known better for sure!)

Our moral compasses have become so skewed because our feelings are being hurt, it is becoming disturbing. We have the power to turn the channel, switch onto a CD etc. We are not snowflakes! It all reminds me of Frankie Boyle and his crack at Katie Price's son. I never liked her, and could never warm to Frankie Boyle nor his humour, but that crack about the child, actually made me angry. Angry that he made fun of a disabled child, and even more angry, he actually made me feel some sympathy for Katie Price!

Jo Brand as a radicalising imman of comedy, give me a break!

* I havent heard the so called joke, but have watched and heard Jo Brand, and can envisage that it was exasperated throwaway comment said in a sarcastic tone. Maybe I am wrong about how she said it, and was actually preaching for someone to do it? I doubt it somehow.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019, 20:13   #79
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

It appears that Jo Brand is to be investigated by police for allegedly 'inciting violence' against politicians... about time.

Inciting violence, expressing a 'fantasy' (her word), sounds like a 'hate' crime to me. Jo Brand hasn't apologised as yet, and it appears she is not employed by the BBC.

I think situations such as this doesn't sit well for the security and safety of the politicians, just look what happened to Jo Cox.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2019, 20:56   #80
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
It appears that Jo Brand is to be investigated by police for allegedly 'inciting violence' against politicians... about time.

Inciting violence, expressing a 'fantasy' (her word), sounds like a 'hate' crime to me. Jo Brand hasn't apologised as yet, and it appears she is not employed by the BBC.

I think situations such as this doesn't sit well for the security and safety of the politicians, just look what happened to Jo Cox.
another nail in the coffin of satire RIP Spitting Image

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote