Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 7th June 2019, 04:20   #21
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I can confirm that Big Ron's injectors are among the best I've seen, and like Mike I use the cheapest DERV I can find.

You can kid yourself your car runs better using "premium" branded fuel, but I've tried them all, and it makes not one jot apart from the hit to your wallet, fine if you do 5000 miles a year, not so if you do 40,000 miles a year

Brian

It appears we have finally discovered a failing in Master Brian - his ears and possibly other senses are not so finely tuned as one might have expected.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 06:26   #22
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
What looks like an unmanned fuel station has recently appeared in our town. It is in fact a charging station for up to 6 electric vehicles and it is equipped to charge a lot faster than plugging in at home. Apparently you can add ~ 180 miles of range in about 20 mins and nearby Newcastle is earmarked for one too. Click

Ahh.. but what type of electricity is it? If it is nuclear generated you will get less mpg in your greenmobile than if it is generated using wind power.
Old 7th June 2019, 09:21   #23
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Ahh.. but what type of electricity is it? If it is nuclear generated you will get less mpg in your greenmobile than if it is generated using wind power.
Should that be miles per amp/hour?
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 13:04   #24
BigJohn
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
I don't believe that any of the fuels would clog up injectors - all fuel sold in the UK meets a minimum specification. Driving variables are far more likely to determine whether a car's injectors clog up over time. Hence Mike Noc's experience highlighted above.

Having said the above, irrespective of who pumps the fuel out of the ground or who refines it, the additives determine differences between fuels sold by different chains. This does mean that the design of each fuel being sold is altered by the additives.

There was a set of tests done by the AA some years ago and it showed that Shell V Power produced around 7% better MPG than many other fuels. This is consistent with my own experience of V Power in a petrol and a diesel car. I prefer to use shell in all my cars and mostly V Power. I also add 75ml of Millers Ecomax to each tankful of diesel. This combination delivers a totally different responsiveness from the CDT than using other fuels without the Millers additive. Let's just say that I have never felt the need for any remaps etc.

Here is the thread from 2013 discussing the AA report. https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=163356
A useful link MSS. I used to be involved in several oil distribution terminals including two with refineries alongside, albiet over 25 years ago. Intially the first major supermarket to sell petrol and diesel bought fuel on the spot market which was then imported into the UK for their exclusive use, this situation didn't last long, ultimately the supermarkets would draw out of the same stock as some of the major fuel companies. The only difference would be at the point the road tankers were loaded at the terminal if it was for a supermarket no additives were injected into the load whereas for the major oil companies their respective additive would be added. I only purchase petrol or diesel from a petrol company and add Millers to diesel and Redex to petrol, it's down to personal choice and as I don't use supermarket fuel can't make a comparison

As my experience is 25 years ago and a lot may have changed since then and fully understand why anyone doing a high mileage would go for the cheapest fuel available as its so expensive now. Being fortunate enough that I can cycle to work my total annual mileage in all cars is no more than 6000.

One tip I will offer is if I see a tanker delivering to a petrol station I won't fill up there right after as any sediment and water at the bottom of the storage tank is intially stirred up by the discharge and needs time to settle.
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 18:07   #25
Catman
Regular poster

Rover 75 Connie SE CDTi Premium

In one word No.
Catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2019, 06:07   #26
daveb57
Loves to post

Mercedes Benz E 350 Coupe Peugeot 407 SW 1.9 HDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Greg View Post
If it did do that wouldn't there be an awful lot of cars broken down....
Isn't fuel made to some sort of "standard" quality?
Years back, when my dad was alive, he used to drive for Fina (a name from the past that the younger generation will probably not have heard of), at a small depot in Kingsnorth, near Hoo in Kent.

They used to draw fuel at the BP refinery on the Isle of Grain. Along with Fina, from what I recall dad said, all major brands drew their fuel from there. Recall hearing stories from neighbours talking to him, stating that the 'old Prefect or Consul would only run on Shell, where another's Cresta would only run on BP. You don't hear that conversation theses days!!!

Bringing this up to date, the same conversation would now be Mr Green's Nissan Leaf runs better on SSE electric, where as next door, Mr Jones gets a better charge and range on Eon power!!!

I have near enough always used supermarket fuel in the ZT, although it is petrol, and have used their diesel in the E350. That said, when chatting to them about fuels, the independent Mercedes garage that services it did say that there are less additives in supermarket fuel than in premium brands like Esso etc. Never personally had a problem though.

As a footnote, with regards to diesel and fuel prices, there used to be a 1 / 2p difference, but now up to 10p or more in some cases.

Greedy wholesalers / retailers I suppose robbing the motorist once again!!!

Regards,

Dave.

Last edited by daveb57; 9th June 2019 at 06:10..
daveb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2019, 09:10   #27
Frank Incensed
Ex 75 Owner

75 Tourerless

Exclamation Badditives - Biodiesel

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLINTE View Post
Yes - Mon and Ron specs
Yes, but.................something can go wrong

To borrow a saying used by a learned and respected member, "the twoof is out there" (at least I think that's what he said)

http://www.mycleandiesel.com/pages/Biodiesel.aspx

There was a huge and well reported incidence of bad biodiesel getting to the pumps about 6 years ago. it affected whole fleets of company cars.

Things are obviously better now, but using diesel with biodiesel additives is like playing Russian roulette - albeit with a very large chamber. I've got the bullet a couple of times.

355188 of 355194
Frank Incensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2019, 09:40   #28
vacuman
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Remember when we would put tigers in our tanks. I found this on an old VHS tape some years ago and felt it worth preserving.

vacuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2019, 12:20   #29
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Never believe simple, absolute, few word answers. They are invariably wrong.

"Only the Sith deal in absolutes"
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2019, 18:34   #30
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

I remember Fina,and National Benzole. All now long gone into the biggest companies around today.