Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 2nd June 2019, 11:13   #21
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
And lo and behold. My Jaguar engines are clean as a whistle. You remove the oil filler cap, it is clean, and you look down into a clean engine with a cam-chain, as clean as the day it came out the factory.

You open into the Rover engine, and it is like a coal truck has come past and dumped its load.

There is something seriously amiss with the breathing system on the KV6.

Oh for a 75 with a 3 liter Jaguar V6 or even a SCV8!
Or of course the M47R diesel.

Stripped one down the other day that had covered nearly 200k miles and the innards were as clean as a whistle.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2019, 17:27   #22
grout20
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi John,

Here's one of Reebs' photographs:

The two breathers, inlet and outlet with red collars, for the LH bank are shown at the bottom of the picture. The RH bank has similar but masked by the plastic manifold chamber.

The single tube at the top left of the picture is I think the vacuum take-off for the brake servo if my memory serves me correctly.

The pinholes are in the cam covers behind the connection to the narrow diameter breather tubes. To clean them properly requires removal of the cam covers. Try the LH side first, remembering afterwards to tighten the many screws in the correct order and to the correct torque.

Simon

Thanks (as usual!) Simon....I understand where these pinholes are located now!

Having never disturbed that plastic manifold chamber, or the left hand bank for that matter (if it ain't broke leave well alone like... ) presumably removing covers can run the risk of upsetting a currently happy gasket .... or three...?

Order new gaskets first, or just have a tube of liquid type gasket available to hand in case?

Cheers

John

My 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto 75 is the
• 20,516th 75 to be made out of 112,381
• 787th 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,671
• 1,248th Wedgwood Blue Metallic (code: JBH) to be made out of 7,515 code JBH 75's

Last edited by grout20; 2nd June 2019 at 17:28.. Reason: Spelling
grout20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2019, 19:32   #23
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Depends how quickly you can get replacement gaskets if needed, if only 24 hrs then perhaps take the chance. If like me, it takes a week, then I’d rather have them on the shelf knowing at some time they’ll be needed.

And don’t forget the four gauze filters (or separators in Rimmer’s speak) unless you want to wash out the old ones but they’re not expensive.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2019, 21:41   #24
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

When putting the cam covers back on I have found a smear of blue Hylomar seals them well. They will come off with no issues next time. Much better than using an RTV sealant. As for the plenum chamber, it has six rubber gaskets (one for each tube) They seem pretty durable but it may be worthwhile to put on new ones if you have never changed them before.
Rich in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2019, 05:21   #25
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
probably could fit another v6 lump into the 75.
Holden had a good 3.6 litre eco tec v6 in their cars.
Only issue may be bonnet closing as i read some where Rover had to redesign the intake manifold to fit the engine under the bonnet
As a matter of interest, Kaiser, are you still doing those fine metal thermos?

You will never guess one of the weak points of the ecotec V6 - blocked crankcase breathers leading to pressurisation and gasket failure if the car is used for regular short journeys.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2019, 09:03   #26
genpk
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon MGZT

had no idea re the eco tec issue, friend of mine has one and done 350,000 km and still going.
Just removed the battery box to see if there was any access to the rear passenger side breather pipe,no real access due to cam belt cover so only way is to remove plastic intake.
genpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2019, 09:39   #27
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
... no real access due to cam belt cover so only way is to remove plastic intake.
It's a real fiddle Pete; lots of disconnections and the two invisible screws at the back mean you have to remove the access panel behind. For this reason I strongly recommend that you start with the LH bank, which is quite easy, and see what you find.

Simon