Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 30th May 2019, 13:57   #11
Snetty
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

To be fair the truck driver had a dashcam and really should not need my help, but the .lad in the Merc had nothing and there is an insurance statement pack waiting for me at home. Although if they are really struggling they could try and obtain my dashcam footage from my employer.
But being a firm believer of what goes around comes around hopefully when the unthinkable happens some kind soul will do the same for me.
Snetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2019, 03:26   #12
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

No Slow or Fast lanes, but M-way lanes are officially lane 1, lane 2, lane 3, etc.

As was pointed out on my recent Speed Awareness Course �� the speed limit in lane 1 is 70 mph, as it is in lanes 2, 3, etc.

Don’t know about your buses, John, but I have been known to do the 'lanes 1 2 3 2 1' dance around L2Ms (doesn’t roll off the tongue lie MLMs, does it) as well.

But what about lane 3 hoggers? With them there isn’t any room to go round them......

BTW, in my post #10, I meant I’d pull over into a layby, or gateway, on a non-Motorway. As written it could mean I was M-way lane hogging!

Last edited by baxlin; 31st May 2019 at 03:31..
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2019, 10:41   #13
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

The issue of Lane 3 hoggers is quite an interesting one.

IMHO there are three possibilities:

1. "I'm doing the speed limit so I'm obeying the Law and you're not so I'm not moving!"

2. "I've got out here and now I can't get back in 'cus there's no space between the vehicles in Lane 2."

3. "I would go back in but I'll need to come out again anyway."

#1 is quite easy to solve - raise the speed limit. Hands up anyone who has witnessed the way vehicles almost dive out of the way of a faster vehicle on the Continent. Not considering the workforce safety issues what happens when there's, say, a 50mph limit? The traffic bunches up giving no space for any sort of "escape route" if anything happens. Less space = more danger.

#2 & #3 are about space, distance and congestion, not speed.

Any other ideas/thoughts?

Andy.
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2019, 11:37   #14
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
The issue of Lane 3 hoggers is quite an interesting one.

IMHO there are three possibilities:

1. "I'm doing the speed limit so I'm obeying the Law and you're not so I'm not moving!"

2. "I've got out here and now I can't get back in 'cus there's no space between the vehicles in Lane 2."

3. "I would go back in but I'll need to come out again anyway."

#1 is quite easy to solve - raise the speed limit. Hands up anyone who has witnessed the way vehicles almost dive out of the way of a faster vehicle on the Continent. Not considering the workforce safety issues what happens when there's, say, a 50mph limit? The traffic bunches up giving no space for any sort of "escape route" if anything happens. Less space = more danger.

#2 & #3 are about space, distance and congestion, not speed.

Any other ideas/thoughts?

Andy.
We call those who hog the centre lane “CLOC’s”. - Members of the Centre Lane Owners Club.

Only criteria you need to join is low IQ or failing that a Lobotomy.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2019, 13:30   #15
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxlin View Post
Looking at the OP's clip, I’d rather have that type of driver in front of me than behind, in fact I have been known to pull over to let a tailgater past.
If you did that over here in France you would spend all day going nowhere.--

They all Tail Gate.---

However------No road rage and not a cross word between them.---Strange, innit ??

The Brits are barmy.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2019, 14:00   #16
breakfastinsmethwick
Gets stuck in

Maintainer of sons ZT M47r

I am fairly sure that a good proportion of tailgaters don’t even think about it, its just what they do. I used to get annoyed but I do that much driving its water off a ducks back. I never brake test either.
breakfastinsmethwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2019, 14:02   #17
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

I’ve never understood the attitude of those that take reprisal on the rare occasion that someone crowds them when driving. That way it can only get worse. If an idiot chooses to prove it to the world and confirm that’s what they are, then fair enough, they have. Why would I then want to inform others that I was one as well? Get out of his way, his sight and his trajectory directly into hospital.

Apart from which Celia, who is invariably in the other seat and has the widest vocabulary of rude expletives, some of which I don't understand, would offer them to me for displaying my lack of aloof disdain. She’s generous like that, rarely misses the opportunity in fact. So yes, it’s fear.
Old 31st May 2019, 15:26   #18
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

I think incidents like this stand out because the standard of driving in this country isn't actually too bad. Yes on the whole our lane discipline is terrible (wish we could change that!) however compared to some other countries we're not too bad. French drivers have better lane discipline (as do most of our continental friends) however on smaller roads they're pretty crazy. The Portuguese are pretty crazy on all roads however thankfully there's a lot less traffic over there so they get away with it and the American's (spent a lot of time there) very rarely pay attention to the road and try their best not to let the act of driving a car distract them from whatever e-mail they're reading at the time, but they all drive so slowly it doesn't really matter much anyway!